Cold PGA Extraction vs Hot PGA Extraction NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
Hi, first post here. Have been reading forums for a few weeks now about ethanol NET extraction, especially Str8vision method. 69 pages are perused! But I am confused a little on the point of hot vs cold ethanol extraction in terms of flavor. A 6 month 190 proof PGA cold soak, freeze filtered vs a 12 hr 160 degree soak, followed by a two week cold soak and freeze filter. Which will taste better, given the same tobacco?

Thank you!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, first post here. Have been reading forums for a few weeks now about ethanol NET extraction, especially Str8vision method. 69 pages are perused! But I am confused a little on the point of hot vs cold ethanol extraction in terms of flavor. A 6 month 190 proof PGA cold soak, freeze filtered vs a 12 hr 160 degree soak, followed by a two week cold soak and freeze filter. Which will taste better, given the same tobacco?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Wish I could help but your question is way to specialized to be answered in other than posting in:
Liquid Extraction From Tobacco
Hope to have your question rerouted.
PS, I not a fan of heating any e liquid.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Thank you!

Hi @CAAB and welcome! The answer to your question is: it depends on the specific tobacco or tobacco blend that's being extracted. Using Ethanol, there can be a significant flavor difference when comparing hot VS cold extraction methods. Heat helps to draw out flavor notes that are otherwise difficult to extract. That may sound like an advantageous thing, and it often is but not always.

The only way to know which method would best suit your individual taste preference is to compare the results of both methods side-by-side. Using the same tobacco, extract it both ways. :)

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
Thank you @Str8vision, I decided to try the hot extraction first. Mostly following your guidelines, down to the Busy Liz canning funnel. With a few modifications.

First, I am using a potato masher after the hot extraction to filter out the leaves. I am not bothering with a coffee filter at this stage. I will then do a 70% evaporation before freeze filtering. As you mentioned before, it helps precipitate oils out of solution if evaporated first.

After a period of winterization for 3 days, I will transfer to a cooler full of pelletized dry ice and let cool for another hour or so. I plan on placing a coffee filter in Busy Liz canning funnel, prewet with cooled 190 proof PGA to minimize filter loss. I then will place some food grade dry ice pellets directly on the filter, and pour the NET solution directly over this. The theory being that the dry ice will help prevent the coffee filter from getting clogged, capturing some of the gunk as the ethanol passes through.

It's all conjecture at this point. I am hoping the low temperature of the dry ice will help precipitate out some more gunk. Unfortunately I won't have a basis for comparison at this juncture. I am just starting out.

Final filtration will be performed at room temperature with a Whatman grade 5 cellulose filter. Again in Busy Liz canning funnel. Filter pre-wet with 190 proof PGA to minimize filter loss. My Busy Liz funnel had a dent, preventing a perfect seal, so I purchased a silicone gasket used for brewing to form a more perfect seal.

Will post results with pictures on separate thread. Will have to consider how to deal with condensation problems when photographing. Maybe a quick wipe on the canning jar glass before pics.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread