Cold Start in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

7slicetoastie

Oct 9, 2008
UK
Wow it's cold here in the UK in the morning.

I left my e-cig and liquid in the car overnight as I don't tend to vape at home that much.

When I got in my car and tried to take a draw it was very hard to get any vapour. I looked at my ecig and there was a very thin film of condensation which looked like it had frosted all around the atomiser.

The performance is rubbish on the atomiser now, have switched to my spare. Hope the cold hasn't damaged it !

My bottle of VG was really thick and sludgy and no amount of squeezing would make it come out.

My TW liquid was fine though.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Same warning applies for refrigerator storage of liquids. The viscosity will be so screwed up by the cold that the stuff won't work if someone tries to use it straight from the refrigerator.

And I've wondered what the impact is to the life of an atomizer when severely cold contents must be heated to vaporization. Seems the less the temperature difference, the easier for the atomizer. But maybe not. Trog might could answer this with authority.

No problem for me. Florida doesn't get cold often -- and most folks would laugh at what I consider "cold".

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
I wonder if it was the cold or the moisture. Efaglil has just returned from the Maldives, where is it very humid. She didn't say anything about her atomisers, but said that six of her batteries weren't working when she got back. She put them on the radiator to see if that helped and I suppose any moisture dried up and they all worked again.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
She put them on the radiator to see if that helped and I suppose any moisture dried up and they all worked again.

I wonder if this would work for batts where liquid has gotten in there. I know I overfilled and now it's in the battery :-x

I've shaken it and gotten some of it out but I know there's more in there. Worth a shot I guess (fingers crossed).

Lu

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
most batteries dont like near freezing temps.. this is one of the reasons cars dont like starting as well in the winter.. NiMh dont work well when very cold.. lithiums cells are not as bad but again like being warmer..

the rest is the liquid thickening up.. atomizer are simple things no lasting harm but an e cig wont work as well when its near freezing..

batteries wont put out as much power and the liquid will go thick and gooey..

trog

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
Oh yeah !!!

Funny from reading another post I believe the cold will have done my battery some good but the reverse for the atomiser.

I'm going to clean it and rest it for a bit, hopefully it will recover.

lithium batteries have their full potential when they are warm
(around room temp)
a cold one won't give the amps needed.

next time hold it over the cars heater for a minute or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread