FDA Cole-Bishop: New FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
This has been floating around here at ECF. Thought it deserved a thread of its own:

Cole and Bishop Introduce The FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2017

At the end of the article there is a PDF link to the full legislation. I love these guys.

And for the neanderthals vaping at 3 gigawatts using a 10amp power source you'll be happy to see new battery legislation in this version to protect you from harming yourself (again).

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I'm very weary this will just hook up a very few. If the battery regs are written so that only a handful of pre 8/8/2016 devices qualify, most of what we use could be shut out. Any new devices that meet the battery standards will need to go through a full PMTA or at least survive a equivalent product application.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I'm very weary this will just hook up a very few. If the battery regs are written so that only a handful of pre 8/8/2016 devices qualify, most of what we use could be shut out. Any new devices that meet the battery standards will need to go through a full PMTA or at least survive a equivalent product application.

If I'm reading it right on batteries... nothing happens until way down the road:

(2) FINAL STANDARDS.—Not later than 24 months after the date of enactment of this Act

Not sure if a PMTA will be needed either. Hell, I can't see the entire 18650 industry being subjected to it anyway. Tesla would throw a fit. :)

Reactions: motordude

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Not true. This section clarifies that issue and assures that devices cannot be regulated out of existence by playing got-cha games with the regulations.

1. COMPLIANCE WITH FINAL STANDARDS.—For

2. 4 any vapor product (including those products in test mar-

3. 5 kets) that has a battery and is commercially marketed in

4. 6 the United States as of the date by which final standards

5. 7 are required to be promulgated under subsection (b)(2),

6. 8 the Secretary of Health and Human Services, based on

7. 9 any change to the battery for the purpose of conforming

8. 10 to such final standards, shall not

9. 11 (1) require the submission of a report under

10. 12 section 905(j) of such Federal Food, Drug, and Cos-

11. 13 metic Act (21 U.S.C. 387e(j)); or

12. 14 (2) treat such vapor product as a new tobacco

13. 15 product for which an order is required under section

14. 16 910(c)(1)(A)(i) of such Act (21 U.S.C.

15. 17 387j(c)(1)(A)(i)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread