Collectible Vapes and Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
Did you know that some old computers are worth a small fortune?

Almost any old Dunhill smoking pipe is collectible and some are very valuable.

The original inventor of vaping supposedly got almost nothing for it because nobody really wanted to use it {back then} and by the time they started to become popular the patents expired {or is that an urban myth?}

Got one of those early vaping devices ???

And the big question, has a collectible market yet developed for early vape devices ??? Are these devices yet to appear on the collectibles market and what kind of money are they bringing ???

Reactions: DPLongo22

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
As a former pipe smoker and Moderator on a large Pipe Forum who collected Dunhills, and silver and gold mounted Petersons but used Falcons as my daily drivers for some 50 years ( hence my Avatar ) the question is of interest to me.

I haven't yet seen any signs of such a market developing so far, and I do remember that Kenley Bugg invented the excellent Falcon System pipe and there never was a big market for used Falcons.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Got one of those early vaping devices ???

And the big question, has a collectible market yet developed for early vape devices ??? Are these devices yet to appear on the collectibles market and what kind of money are they bringing ???

Depends on what you are referring to as "early vaping devices".

As I understand it there was more than one "vaping" device invented decades before Ruyan ever mass produced an e-cigarette, the most famous one being the one in the patent pic below from Herbert Gilbert. But to the best of my knowledge, these first patented vaping device were only invented on paper with maybe a prototype made (maybe), but never actually produced or sold on the market.

o9OE7ff.jpg

There was also this one from the 1930s, but it was patented as a "vaporizer" and not necessarily as an alternative to smoking tobacco or a "cigarette".

SgcNCsN.jpg

There was a thread last year where someone posted a picture of a device they found when hiking which had a tip similar to what you see in the pic above. It was found (if I remember correctly) to be a device used to pump medicine (or something) into the nose. I can't remember if it was actually a vaporizer of any kind.

The Ruyan ecigarette seems to be what really started it all, commercially speaking. I believe it was first released in 2003 to the European market. Would it be worth anything? Maybe, to a very niche market (I'd buy one for the right price, brand new). Maybe as time goes on it will be worth a fortune, but not for it's functionality as none of the Ruyan ecig versions were known to work well (from what I've read about them), which is understandable as even all the pen style and cigalikes that proceeded the Ruyan had dismal functionality.

This is supposedly the very first Ruyan ecig model sold...
    xQxmzmz.jpg

If you want to find out if any early vaping devices being sold as collectibles, your best bet is to probably search non-US auction sites because they wouldn't be technically allowed to be listed on US sites. Also, it's hard to search for such things on google because you get inundated with link to negative ecigarette propaganda. It's like as if you are searching for a knife to buy and google shows you a bunch of "hey, knives are dangerous...THEY KILL" links lol

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    There was an 'urban myth' I heard many years ago, many years before I even heard of an e cig.
    The myth was that someone had invented a non cancer causing cigarette and had shown it to the cigarette companies who would not touch it because if they started selling a cigarette that did not cause cancer they would have had to admit that cigarettes that they are selling do in fact cause cancer - And back then big tobacco was still denying that.

Now in retrospect I'm getting to think that was an early vape device - If true he was probably showing them an early e cig. ???????

Reactions: Ryedan

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    There was an 'urban myth' I heard many years ago, many years before I even heard of an e cig.
    The myth was that someone had invented a non cancer causing cigarette and had shown it to the cigarette companies who would not touch it because if they started selling a cigarette that did not cause cancer they would have had to admit that cigarettes that they are selling do in fact cause cancer - And back then big tobacco was still denying that.

Now in retrospect I'm getting to think that was an early vape device - If true he was probably showing them an early e cig. ???????

At least 3 decades ago, I remember seeing these cigarettes on a pharmacy counter-top display that came 2 in a pack, blister packaged. All I remember is that they looked like a cigarette, except they were plastic and/or metal, but I can't remember what exactly they were or how they worked. However I don't believe they were electronic in nature. But I just can't remember and I can't find anything about it in Google.

All I remember is what they looked like in their green package and that they were marketed as an alternative to cigarettes, and I remember being compelled to buy them for my dad to try, who was a heavy smoker, but I never did.

Reactions: Pigs

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    At least 3 decades ago, I remember seeing these cigarettes on a pharmacy counter-top display that came 2 in a pack, blister packaged. All I remember is that they looked like a cigarette, except they were plastic and/or metal, but I can't remember what exactly they were or how they worked. However I don't believe they were electronic in nature. But I just can't remember and I can't find anything about it in Google.

All I remember is what they looked like in their green package and that they were marketed as an alternative to cigarettes, and I remember being compelled to buy them for my dad to try, who was a heavy smoker, but I never did.
    Possibly herbal? Even maybe 20 years ago they were still selling all herbal cigarettes in regular health food stores. The plastic or metal may just have been the packaging tube.

Now go way, way back, maybe 1940s or 50s, somebody came up with a wine and vitamin mix, I believe it was called 'Hadacol' that was getting real popular and if you happen to drink wine and take vitamins you will realize it makes perfect sense.
    I only bring this up because you see the same dick heads in government who are trying to restrict and/or eliminate vape were doing their dirty work way back then too - It was outlawed and banned. I believe the reasoning was something like you can't mix drugs and alcohol. So by this convoluted logic doesn't it make sense to restrict or ban a tobacco product that doesn't cause cancer ?!?!?

Now do you see why some people call the FDA {food and drug administration}, the Food and Death Administration.

And have you noticed how rapidly they dismissed and google makes hard to find, the evidence that nicotine may fight and possibly prevent Covid !9 ?

Back to the original subject - When old computers suddenly became popular {an ogiginal Apple is worth big bucks} - How many people woke up and kicked themselves for having thrown theirs out ?

Same could, and I bet it will, happen with vape devices.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Possibly herbal? Even maybe 20 years ago they were still selling all herbal cigarettes in regular health food stores. The plastic or metal may just have been the packaging tube.

They were definitely a metal and/or plastic, they were hard material not made to be burned or consumed. Looked just like a cigalike ecig made to look like a full flavor filtered cigarette with white top and orange/brown at the bottom to look like the filter. However I don't believe it had an LED at the tip as I don't believe it was electronic in any way (but I can't remember).

Did they contain nicotine? I can't remember.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    They were definitely a metal and/or plastic, they were hard material not made to be burned or consumed. Looked just like a cigalike ecig made to look like a full flavor filtered cigarette with white top and orange/brown at the bottom to look like the filter. However I don't believe it had an LED at the tip as I don't believe it was electronic in any way (but I can't remember).

Did they contain nicotine? I can't remember.
    Now that I think about I can remember people using them to quit smoking. They were plastic and when you drew upon a flavor came out - they did not burn and as far as I know contained no tobacco or nicotine.

Back then I had switched to pipes and was on a crusade to get cigarette smokers to switch to pipes;
    even bought a womens pipe for my mother who did not like it - Just sold it a few years ago at the West Coast pipe show !

I've been on a crusade lately to get all the cigarette smokers I know to go to vapes - Many just can't make the change - And all that negative publicity over the deaths last year from what turned out to be black market products didn't help anything.

Apparently the government particularly hates all causes having to do with tobacco even if, and maybe especially, if lives can be saved ?!?!

Reactions: Falconeer

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Now that I think about I can remember people using them to quit smoking. They were plastic and when you drew upon a flavor came out - they did not burn and as far as I know contained no tobacco or nicotine.

That could very well be what I saw.

I've been on a crusade lately to get all the cigarette smokers I know to go to vapes

Good luck with that, it's a huge challenge. Even if you do convert one, it's an even bigger challenge to get them to stick with it. It's just too different from smoking in so many ways. Top that off with the fact that switching to vaping still means you have to quit smoking, and that means a person has to really want to do it of their own volition or else it will never last.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    Back in the 70s too, a product called NSM (New Smoking Material - it was based on cellulose) was launched as an alternative to tobacco in the UK and briefely all the major brands offered it as an alternative - but it didn't catch on as the Government taxed NSM cigarettes the same as tobacco so there was no incentive for folk to use it.

Apologies for taking the thread off topic.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    Back in the 70s too, a product called NSM (New Smoking Material - it was based on cellulose) was launched as an alternative to tobacco in the UK and briefely all the major brands offered it as an alternative - but it didn't catch on as the Government taxed NSM cigarettes the same as tobacco so there was no incentive for folk to use it.

Apologies for taking the thread off topic.

Now talking about collectible, I could see a category called "stop smoking products" - You could build up a collection of all types of things sold and promoted to help smokers quit smoking - And of course that includes vaping products.

But back to us {vapers} suddenly becoming maligned
    - Here is the problem in a nutshell:

While vape devices can be, and are, used to help people quit smoking lit tobacco - they are too good
    - to someone like me who smoked pipes for 50 years,
    It was love at first draw. Finally "Cool without the bite" used to promote pipe tobaccos over the years became a reality - And many vape flavors correspond real well with many pipe tobacco flavors; And you don't have to keep puffing and puffing and puffing to keep it lit.

And are they safer, even healthier ? You bet they are.
    I started developing a chronic rough throat which went away soon as I switched to exclusive vaping
    - and the fact that you can accurately adjust strength of nicotine is a great thing, especially when you are getting older and excess nicotine, makes me too sleepy.

But you see the problem that is causing what I call the tobacco nazis to be focusing on us - Vaping is a great replacement for smoking. In fact it is too good and is creating a new generation of nicotine users
    - And apparently many of 'them' hate nicotine - similar to an older generation that hated alcohol.

Reactions: Falconeer

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you know that some old computers are worth a small fortune?

I just googled 'are old computers worth money' and wow, some are but not many.

There is no collectable market in ecigs the way I think you mean where they have really high values. Yes, there are some mods and atties that are selling for a bit over their new value, but not many and they are not all that old. The vast majority of outdated ecig hardware is pretty much not worth selling. OTOH, vaping hit Europe around 2005 and NA around 2007, so maybe if we keep our 'old' stuff for another 10 years things might change. There may be some 'pre-modern (before 2005)' vaping hardware that could be worth more, but there isn't much of it and there is no market out there for it that I know of.

• Informative
    Reactions: Vapeon4Life

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    I just googled 'are old computers worth money' and wow, some are but not many.

There is no collectable market in ecigs the way I think you mean where they have really high values. Yes, there are some mods and atties that are selling for a bit over their new value, but not many and they are not all that old. The vast majority of outdated ecig hardware is pretty much not worth selling. OTOH, vaping hit Europe around 2005 and NA around 2007, so maybe if we keep our 'old' stuff for another 10 years things might change. There may be some 'pre-modern (before 2005)' vaping hardware that could be worth more, but there isn't much of it and there is no market out there for it that I know of.

While I agree most of the gear (especially the later years when so many new ones came out daily that were/are hit or miss gear) I still disagree up to a point. I have known many vapers who were collectors of vape gear that sought out rare gear no longer available, prototypes, extremely low runs, etc while they could still be found, and paid a premium price for some of them. I'm one of those people. I bought long discontinued gear to have a piece of vape history from before my tenure in vaping started in early 2013. I bought still new and unused or as good as new pristine examples of them. Most of them were never used by me because that's not why I bought them. And I didn't buy them as an investment either... none of my gear is for sale even though I stopped vaping in 2019.

So I also have to disagree about some outdated gear from companies no longer in business not having value. Gear that had a large following because they were among the best of the best in their era... some that are still the best of their kind and still do have a large following. There are lots of folks that still use them daily and would jump at the chance to pick up more of them. As for their monetary value, it's like anything else that is put up for sale. There are giveaways and over-priced, there are folks that will pay a reasonable asking price and the trolls that won't, offer far less. But if somebody wants something bad enough they will pay the asking price no matter what it is. Lucky for buyers most seller of vape gear are honest, ask what they deem is fair prices. But I have also seen rare gear bring many times what they originally cost new too. IE, one of my items that is still brand new I saw where another one of them sold for $500, almost 13 times what mine cost new in early 2017. Was that one an exception? Maybe, but I have had folks offer me a lot more for some of my discontinued gear than what I paid for them. FWIW, I have been a collector of many different fine things since the early 50's, and the majority of what I bought and have/had over the years is/was worth far more than what I paid for them. With the future of vaping here still not settled, quality gear from private owners may become a handy source for some folks.
    Image21s.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread