COMBO FLAVORS..ANYONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Just want to know has anyone tried making their own flavors with liquids bought from e-cig.com....I have tried a few...

Combo 1This is mixed in a 5 ml proportion(small eyedropper bottle)..
2ml of Flue-cured + 2ml Vanilla + 1 ml Menthol

Combo 2
3ml of Flue-cured + 1ml Coffee + 1ml Menthol

Combo 3
2.5ml Vanilla + 2.5 ml Coffee

Combo 4
3ml Regular + 2ml Rose

If anyone have tried the above combo...hopefully let me know which is the best or tastiest

My personal favourite is Combo 2..taste splendid(most of my patients like it..it delivered the closest feel to a real thing ;) )

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
TropicalBob said:
I really like these. Will try some before long. LACK of decent flavor is a big issue for me. It could be many times stronger and I'd be happy. These kinds of flavor "recipes" are regularly passed along by nasal snuff users (I very occasionally do nasal snuff - don't get much from it).

That's the reason why I started flavors variants...so smokers on these NDD(nicotine delivery device) can feel and savor as close as possible to the original cig in terms of taste and volume of 'smoke'...success rate depends on these as well(beside priority of reliability).

The possibility of flavors variants are immense and it gives a lot in terms of flexibility....after all "Variety are the spice of Life" so to speak... :p :lol:

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
dnakr said:
I've tried part of Combo 2 but never really measured.

I got tired of just Flue-cured, so I mixed in Coffee. I enjoy the flue-cured and coffee, but will try adding some Menthol to see if I like it.

Thanks,
Rachel
Thanks for trying it out...hope you like it..But the flavors I find really "comes out" only if you drip/dry smoke it...distinct but exquisite taste..can't name it yet but out of this world :D

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I was really hooked on trying these recipes, so I placed an order with E-Cig (before they shafted me and ended my dealing with them ever again) for 4ml bottles of vanilla, coffee, menthol, cream and flue-cured. The package was shipped on April 27 by the slowest ($9) form of delivery and arrived May 12. Not long to wait. I opened it and .. stuff had dripped from at least one of the bottles. All bottles were slick with goo. So I wiped them off. Mistake. The only markings that identify what is what are little dots of ink that smeared off completely. So now I'm sniffing each, trying to figure out which is which to use in Dr. Loi's recipes. Course, I was planning to use my 50ml bottle of flue-cured that I ordered and paid for but E-Cig never shippped. Now I have no flue-cured (in a previous order, the flue-cured bottle leaked about a third of its contents and E-Cig never answered a single email asking for a replacement). It's my favorite and I used up what was left.

I think I can smell the difference between, say, vanilla and coffee. I think I make out a faint red smear for the menthol. Beyond that .. I can only guess as I mix and try new flavors. (I may try a one-drop drip from unidentified vials to see if I can make out the taste).

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
TropicalBob:

It seems your luck with e-cig is not getting better...

A couple of months ago, my order from e-cig arrived with not one bottle marked. I was holding the bottles I already had up against the new bottles to try and match the colors. I was able to match them up that way.

If you have the 8ml bottle with the dropper - put some liquid into the dropper
the vanilla has a pink tint to it - smells like vanilla
the cream looks clear - the cream smells funky
the coffee looks clear - but does have a faint smell of coffee

Hope that helps some...

Rachel

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
I miss at least one of the needed ingredients in each of your recipees Jim; so haven't been able to taste them yet, sorry for that.
I am using some mixes I made myself though
(total each time = 1 ml so for 1 pen-cartridge)
0.4 melon + 0.4 almond + 0.2 mint (or alternatively 0.2 QS-liquid instead of mint; usualy gives a stronger minty-taste plus something more; I prefer the QS myself)
0.9 apple + 0.1 QS (or mint): gives enhanced freshness to the apple
0.5 apple + 0.5 mint gives a very fresh mint-taste
0.5 green tea and 0.5 mint : can't describe the taste well; but I like it
0.3 Janty Heavy (Heavy is a taste, not a strength) + 0.7 apple: tastes like it is: mix between one of the 'tobacco-tastes' and apple
None of the 'real tobacco-flavors' I have tried so far belongs to my favourites (guess that's why I was always a menthol-smoker, on tobacco-cigs). Maybe flue-cured will change my 'non-tobacco-preference' once I get hold of that though, who knows :) .

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I hope someone who hasn't had my trauma with E-Cig will let us know about the new flavors they're selling, particularly "cigar" and "Brand: Marlboro". Cigar sounds good to me!

I've been working through the flavor sample packs I ordered some time ago. One cartridge a day. Not a great deal of flavor difference that I can tell. I'm down to "Rose" now, and it tastes funny.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Thanks for the clues to flavors, Rachel. I think I got my vials sorted out. I DID get the tiny bottle of flue-cured (my favorite), so I have all flavors needed to do Dr. Jim's recipes. (Plus, I intend to squeeze out unused fluid from my sample pack cartridges -- pop one in the syringe and out comes lots of fluid; the sample cartridges ARE labeled).

Note: My flue-cured 4ml bottle was the one that leaked all over everywhere. Not a lot of fluid remaining in it. E-Cig messed up again.

And I'm troubled that none of these liquid containers are sealed in any way. We never open anything in America without a peel-off aluminum seal confronting us. That even includes oil for our cars. Certainly all medicines. Contamination and leakage can occur without a seal. These Chinese bottles are a throwback to Mason Jars holding moonshine from the Prohibition era.

'Cept those were sealed better with their rubber ring.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
2010: A little tiki hut rises from beach sand on the West Coast of Florida. "E-Liquids Sold Here," a faded sign above a bamboo bar reads. A badly sunburned Michigander in an ill-fitting Panama hat staggers up and slaps a $5 bill and a pen-style e-cig on the counter.

"What'll it be?" the man in the hibiscus-adorned shirt behind the counter asks.

"House pleasure," the customer says.

"Time for a Tropical Daiquiri." And with that, the man swings an eyedropper into action. "Three drops of flue-cured tobacco," he says to no one in particular. "Two drops of cocoanut. One drop of mango. And four drops of Jamaican Rum extract." Using a syringe, the man injects the mixture into a new core. "Here you go, buddy. After dinner delight."

The man moves away, toward three crying children holding sand pails of shells. He turns.

"Almost forgot," he says. "You got any sunburn cream?"

Mr. Tropical behind the counter produces two tubes. "The one with the clown on it is for the kids and wife," he explains. "This one" -- he holds it high -- "is cream with 24mg of nicotine per ml in it. Slather it on. You'll sleep like a baby."

I can't wait!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Made Dr. Jim's #2 combo this morning and have been puffing away with it. It's the flue-cured tobacco, coffee and menthol mix. I rather like it, but it almost feels stronger than any one of its ingredients alone. Not sure how that's possible.

Still, the taste is not intense. We Americans like intense flavors. We want cinnamon to make our eyes water, for instance. I'm also missing an aftertaste. I want something intense enough that I taste the flavor long after I've exhaled the vapor. To that end, I'm going to start using commerical flavor extracts in ever-larger amounts. My choices are alcohol-based, not oil, so I have no worries in using them. I've already tested vanilla extract and found I use up to one-fourth of a mix quantity to get a real vanilla kick from the mix.

At this point, I'm less concerned with nicotine level than with making this wispy vapor taste like something desirable. I'm using the extra-high nicotine liquid, so even if I cut the quantity in half, I've still got plenty of nicotine in the final mix. So far, every flavor I've tested in the "all flavors sample pack" has been mild to bland. I can barely distinguish any flavor, even after the atomizer is soaked with new liquid.

That's unacceptable. I'll keep experimenting in the best Dr. Jim tradition until I get something that is a pleasure to inhale and taste. I'm thinking in the future of buying the "tasteless" liquid -- and mixing it equally with extract flavoring.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Might be a good idea to collect links somewhere on the forum of where you can get different things. Like, in this case, where you can buy reasonable quantities of real good essences (flavourings). Because that does seem to be a bit of a problem: local choice is small most of the time (and usualy quite weak too); and strong flavourings aren't readily for sale either localy ór worldwide, so it seems. So we could help each other perhaps by collecting addresses for 'hard to find stuff', including this one?

(Oh and I'm going the tasteless route just now too TB, to see how that works out)

windblown

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2008
USA
I found a couple of websites that have several flavorings in a propylene glycol base, and I'm wondering if these would work in the e-cigs. Of course you would have to mix them with some e-liquid for the nicotine. All of the extract flavorings in my local groceries were either alcohol or oil based.....nothing at all with propylene glycol.

http://spicebarn.com/extracts_flavorings.htm

http://www.bickfordflavors.com/cpack_3.asp?id=144

There are several flavors that sound pretty good. I want to try that "After Dinner Delight", Tropical Bob.....just need to find a Coconut & Jamaican Rum with the PG base . :mrgreen:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Great find! That second site even spells out that its flavorings are in propylene glycol. They could mix directly with tasteless 24mg commercial E-Liquid. And there are two I really want to try: Key Lime (Florida native) and Kahlua.

I've been mixing using vegetable glycerine from the health food store. It vaporizes like propylene glycol and is generally considered safe. Also been making my own tobacco liquid using the DIY method mentioned elsewhere. No idea how much nicotine is in it, but not much. It just provides tobacco flavor to a finished mix. I'm more into taste than nic hit, at this point, since I also use snus and Stonewall dry snuff most of every day.

Look for Tropical Bob's E-Liquid Bar and Grill opening next year on the beautiful sands of Sanibel Island. Just down the block from Doc Ford's restaurant.

Update: May 19, 2008: Do NOT use gylcerine. I was able to trace my extreme sore throat to it. Extensive notes on its use have been added to the DIY Liquid thread on this forum.http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/phpBB3/diy-e-liquid--t177.html

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Yes, good find Windblown! I need to find some that deliver worldwide too, will have to spend some more time on that; haven't been able to find any near here, so far; maybe something can be found in asia, or southern or eastern europe... (only wholesalers in the country's around me, that I could find).
I'm afraid it's almost impossible, as a european, to buy things from US, even if a store dóes want to send it over (mostly not): your export-rules force commercial addresses such as shops to use just about the most expensive way of shipping there is. Meaning for even the smallest package they have to put 30 to 40 dollar on top just for sending. Making lóts of things unsellable to abroad by shops in the US :cry: (bit incomprehensible too, I think... surely your economy would do well to have 'abroad' among their customers too?).

windblown

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2008
USA
Katink wrote:
I'm afraid it's almost impossible, as a european, to buy things from US, even if a store dóes want to send it over (mostly not): your export-rules force commercial addresses such as shops to use just about the most expensive way of shipping there is. Meaning for even the smallest package they have to put 30 to 40 dollar on top just for sending.

Katink, I am going to place an order soon......if you would like, I can add a few things for you and ship them to you at the cheapest rate.

It is unfortunate that in the global market that exists today that both shipping expenses and currency exchange rates still prevent us from being able to shop on the internet at comparable prices. It is getting impossible for those of us in the States to be able to afford anything from either Britain or Europe.

Tropical Bob, just let me know when the E-Liquid Bar & Grill has its grand opening......I'm always ready for a good excuse to visit Sanibel! :p

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
windblown said:
I found a couple of websites that have several flavorings in a propylene glycol base, and I'm wondering if these would work in the e-cigs. Of course you would have to mix them with some e-liquid for the nicotine. All of the extract flavorings in my local groceries were either alcohol or oil based.....nothing at all with propylene glycol.

http://spicebarn.com/extracts_flavorings.htm

http://www.bickfordflavors.com/cpack_3.asp?id=144

There are several flavors that sound pretty good. I want to try that "After Dinner Delight", Tropical Bob.....just need to find a Coconut & Jamaican Rum with the PG base . :mrgreen:
Good job windblown..This will save me a lot of kitchenwork.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread