Completely new to the vaping world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Militantcactus

Aug 8, 2021
Hi everyone.
So I've made the decision to switch from cigarettes to a vape. Hurrah right?!
I've literally got no clue as to what I'm doing so have taken advice from a friend who's partner is very much into building his own rather than buying a set. I've also watched some YouTube vids on the tank I've been suggested and reading up on mods, coils, wattage etc and now I'm super confused :yawn:
Hoping you guys can help a clueless newbie out!
So I'm looking at the Hellvape MTL RTA, with a Voopoo Drag X plus pro.
The questions I have are really around wattage, eliquids (50/50 or 70/30), best coils for the set up (the Hellvape come with 0.6 and 1.0 coils), and trusted places to buy. (I'm in the UK).
I took a drag on my friend's Hellvape set up (different mod) and liked it, and the reviews look pretty good. So I think the tank I'm set on but mod I'm open for suggestions!

All advice gratefully received!
Thanks guys

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome to the ECF from sunny Spain!

Nice selection, consider purchasing an external charger for use with your removable battery. (18650 or 21700) NOTE: Only buy batteries from UK/EU trusted sellers...There are many counterfeits in the market.
Hellvape; vertex, I presume, comes with 10 coils (five @ each Ω). They should last a while before needing to purchase more.
Depending on how long you smoked and how many per day, you may need to use a TPD "high" nicotine level of 20mg/ml. (Salt or freebase) Liquids with a higher VG content will generally be thicker and provide a denser vape.
Experiment with power/wattage levels, air flow setting, nicotine level, VG content and nicotine type.

IMO, find a local vape shop that has rebuilding supplies, a range of liquid flavors, and nicotine shots available in salt and freebase.

Again, welcome to the ECF.

Pro tip: mounting a coil is very easy, getting the wicking "right" is...an art.

Cheers
I

Militantcactus

Aug 8, 2021
Hi and welcome to the ECF from sunny Spain!

Nice selection, consider purchasing an external charger for use with your removable battery. (18650 or 21700) NOTE: Only buy batteries from UK/EU trusted sellers...There are many counterfeits in the market.
Hellvape; vertex, I presume, comes with 10 coils (five @ each Ω). They should last a while before needing to purchase more.
Depending on how long you smoked and how many per day, you may need to use a TPD "high" nicotine level of 20mg/ml. (Salt or freebase) Liquids with a higher VG content will generally be thicker and provide a denser vape.
Experiment with power/wattage levels, air flow setting, nicotine level, VG content and nicotine type.

IMO, find a local vape shop that has rebuilding supplies, a range of liquid flavors, and nicotine shots available in salt and freebase.

Again, welcome to the ECF.

Pro tip: mounting a coil is very easy, getting the wicking "right" is...an art.

Cheers
I

Thanks Izan!

I'm thinking of going for 12 - 18mg as I currently smoke around 15 - 20 a day, although mainly from habit rather than the nicotine fix. I'm hoping to drop down in nicotine fairly quickly.
From what I've read on here and elsewhere the wicking does sound like something to master!

I think I've settled on the full Drag X plus kit AND the Hellvape so I can experiment as you suggest.

Regarding coil and wicking, how often do these need replacing? Is it down to taste and bubbling noises or should I be looking at replacing at any other point?

Thanks for the tips and the welcome. Looking forward to posting more when I get all I need!

Weather here is far from sunny!!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Thanks Izan!
Regarding coil and wicking, how often do these need replacing? Is it down to taste and bubbling noises or should I be looking at replacing at any other point?

Welcome to ECF! You've found a great place for all your questions.

The coil itself is only replaced rarely. Sometimes it gets physically damaged - pulled out of shape or something - while you're rewicking, especially in the beginning. Otherwise it can go on for ages. The wicking is what needs to be replaced regularly. That's pretty much down to taste. Once it starts tasting burnt or 'off', of when it stops producing much vapour, it's time to replace it and clean the coil.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks Izan!

I'm thinking of going for 12 - 18mg as I currently smoke around 15 - 20 a day, although mainly from habit rather than the nicotine fix. I'm hoping to drop down in nicotine fairly quickly.
From what I've read on here and elsewhere the wicking does sound like something to master!

I think I've settled on the full Drag X plus kit AND the Hellvape so I can experiment as you suggest.

Thanks for the tips and the welcome. Looking forward to posting more when I get all I need!

Weather here is far from sunny!!

IMO, work on moving away from smoking. The smoke and combustion are the killers, NOT the nicotine. Once you are an ex smoker, then decide IF you want to eliminate nicotine from your life.

DIY coils (rebuildables) can last from a month to half a year. Most of us re-wick after about 50-100 ml of juice. Darker, sweeter liquids tend to accelerate buildup and may need attention more frequently. in general, when flavor, vapor production or air flow decline, it's time to inspect your coil and wick assembly.

Cheers
I

Militantcactus

Aug 8, 2021
Welcome to ECF! You've found a great place for all your questions.

The coil itself is only replaced rarely. Sometimes it gets physically damaged - pulled out of shape or something - while you're rewicking, especially in the beginning. Otherwise it can go on for ages. The wicking is what needs to be replaced regularly. That's pretty much down to taste. Once it starts tasting burnt or 'off', of when it stops producing much vapour, it's time to replace it and clean the coil.

Brilliant, thanks for the info and welcome :)

Militantcactus

Aug 8, 2021
IMO, work on moving away from smoking. The smoke and combustion are the killers, NOT the nicotine. Once you are an ex smoker, then decide IF you want to eliminate nicotine from your life.

DIY coils (rebuildables) can last from a month to half a year. Most of us re-wick after about 50-100 ml of juice. Darker, sweeter liquids tend to accelerate buildup and may need attention more frequently. in general, when flavor, vapor production or air flow decline, it's time to inspect your coil and wick assembly.

Cheers
I

Thanks Izan,
Really helpful advice. Looking forward to dumping the cigarettes and finding what works for me

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
If u talk about the hellvape md rta

It was my first rta and turns out there is a manufacturing flaw that may or may not affect you...the problem actually makes it hard to build it without having any leaks of juice no matter how good u build it..

I have made a thread here on ecf about what i did to fix it and also on other wibsites and many people fixed it also that they had problems...

i just think its not ideal for a new vaper cause even tho it has very good performance and flavour it does make it hard to build it and the last thing someone that is new to needs is something hard to work or problematic..

I see u mention your friend owns the hellvape md rta so maybe he can help you and be fine...or maybe the newer versions are fixed..

myself after i fixed it on my own i still vape it after one year and its great but i would suggest u go for something else..

In case u already bought it then its ok ofc just see how it goes cause depending how u vape and where u live if its hot or cold climate u may not experience problems.

If u havent bought it already i would suggest u got for something else like the innokin ares 2 mtl rta that we know its easy to build and good...if u can afford it ofc

About the drag yeah since its the new pro version is great..

About the juices and the coils in my opinion is something u need to try and with time you will find what u like best...

Enjoy and welcome :)

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Ello and welcome to the club!

I think I've settled on the full Drag X plus kit
    The plastic tanks from VooPoo are okay, but not stellar. The flavor seems to lack a bit of depth imo, and you'll see what I mean when you get it. Again, it's not bad - I can taste the flavor, it just isn't rich if you get what I mean.
    It greatly depends on the VG ratio of your juice and how often you vape. You'll know. There are many indicators like Hawise and Izan have mentioned. Just an overall inclination of "this is not vaping like it did when I built it".
    Darker, sweeter liquids tend to accelerate buildup and may need attention more frequently.
    Izan's talking about the VG content - the great the VG, the sweeter/thicker it's going to be. 70VG/30PG is what a greater portion of the non-salt based nic juices come as. I'm entirely not sure about salt nic juices though and don't wish to test them out as I'm down to 3 mg and 0 nic juices at this point.

Goodluck! And don't worry, questions show a genuine interest in making the switch which is good to hear. There's a lot of info to absorb, but there's a lot of experience here to help you with that. Cheers.

Militantcactus

Aug 8, 2021
    If u talk about the hellvape md rta

It was my first rta and turns out there is a manufacturing flaw that may or may not affect you...the problem actually makes it hard to build it without having any leaks of juice no matter how good u build it..

I have made a thread here on ecf about what i did to fix it and also on other wibsites and many people fixed it also that they had problems...

i just think its not ideal for a new vaper cause even tho it has very good performance and flavour it does make it hard to build it and the last thing someone that is new to needs is something hard to work or problematic..

I see u mention your friend owns the hellvape md rta so maybe he can help you and be fine...or maybe the newer versions are fixed..

myself after i fixed it on my own i still vape it after one year and its great but i would suggest u go for something else..

In case u already bought it then its ok ofc just see how it goes cause depending how u vape and where u live if its hot or cold climate u may not experience problems.

If u havent bought it already i would suggest u got for something else like the innokin ares 2 mtl rta that we know its easy to build and good...if u can afford it ofc

About the drag yeah since its the new pro version is great..

About the juices and the coils in my opinion is something u need to try and with time you will find what u like best...

Enjoy and welcome :)

Thanks for the advice, good to hear what others think of all these devices!

Reactions: Superuser187

Militantcactus

Aug 8, 2021
    Ello and welcome to the club!

The plastic tanks from VooPoo are okay, but not stellar. The flavor seems to lack a bit of depth imo, and you'll see what I mean when you get it. Again, it's not bad - I can taste the flavor, it just isn't rich if you get what I mean.

It greatly depends on the VG ratio of your juice and how often you vape. You'll know. There are many indicators like Hawise and Izan have mentioned. Just an overall inclination of "this is not vaping like it did when I built it".

Izan's talking about the VG content - the great the VG, the sweeter/thicker it's going to be. 70VG/30PG is what a greater portion of the non-salt based nic juices come as. I'm entirely not sure about salt nic juices though and don't wish to test them out as I'm down to 3 mg and 0 nic juices at this point.

Goodluck! And don't worry, questions show a genuine interest in making the switch which is good to hear. There's a lot of info to absorb, but there's a lot of experience here to help you with that. Cheers.

Thank you so much Z-Lee. It's completely alien to me and the more I read, the more confused I'm getting!!

I'm trying to figure out how different mods and tanks match up and feel I'm getting less sure of decisions...

If I can run this past you (and anyone else) that would be awesome.

The Drag X Plus is a sub ohm device and the Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA is, well, MTL right? Are the two compatible? And am I right in thinking wattage would be set differently between the two?
    Also, with the juice, can you use a 70/30 with both sub ohm and MTL? I'm thinking of buying a shortfill with a nic shot, but obviously don't want to get something that isn't going to work as well as something else.

Honestly it feels like I'm learning a different language!!

Out of interest, what would you recommend given the direction I'm looking in?

TIA

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I'm trying to figure out how different mods and tanks match up and feel I'm getting less sure of decisions...

If I can run this past you (and anyone else) that would be awesome.

The Drag X Plus is a sub ohm device and the Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA is, well, MTL right? Are the two compatible? And am I right in thinking wattage would be set differently between the two?
    Also, with the juice, can you use a 70/30 with both sub ohm and MTL? I'm thinking of buying a shortfill with a nic shot, but obviously don't want to get something that isn't going to work as well as something else.

Honestly it feels like I'm learning a different language!!

Quite right! Vaping does have a language of its own.

As long as you avoid pod mods, tanks are connected to mods by something called a 510 connector / pin. It's standard in the vaping world, so virtually any tank can go on pretty much any mod. And yes, you would tend to use different wattage settings for DL (direct lung) and MTL (mouth-to-lung) style tanks. That leads to the one potential compatibility issue with tanks and mods. Some older mods or ones designed for MTL have a low maximum wattage that isn't suitable for certain higher-powered DL tanks.

For what it's worth, sub-ohm isn't a term that's often used anymore. Many MTL coils are sub-ohm now, although they're still higher resistance (maybe 0.7 ohm) than DL coils (under 0.5 ohm usually, and down to about 0.1 ohm).

About the juice, 70/30 (that's 70% VG, 30% PG) will generally work fairly well with both DL and MTL. For DL, you wouldn't want the VG to be any lower than 70%. MTL might be lower or higher, depending on the particular coil and tank.

Higher nicotine concentrations are usually used with MTL than with DL. DL vapourizes more juice per puff than MTL, so to get roughly the same amount of nicotine whichever style of vaping you favour you have:
    • DL: More juice, with less nicotine in it (concentrations of around 3 - 6 mg/ml are probably the most common)
    • MTL: Less juice, but more nicotine per ml (concentration of 6 - 18 mg/ml is common)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Hello and welcome! Yes, it's a lot to learn and you are doing fine... just start simple. You are not ready to start building your own (RTAs, RDAs ect) That can wait. Get a mod and a tank with "drop-in" coils (it's nice to get those as a "kit"... and cheaper that way, but you can also just get a mod (the battery part) and a tank by themselves. I'm just guessing, but maybe a MTL tank would be best to start with (lower power, less vapor and tighter airflow) Many "newbies" go to a vape shop and those guys sell you a full blown DL "cloud chaser" (not good for beginners) Many good mods have replaceable batteries (which is great but...) you really need an external battery charger and have to buy batteries as well. Maybe just start with a mod that has a built-in battery (nothing wrong with that) and a good tank (Innokin makes some good MTL ones... Zenith2 and Zlide) It really depends on your budget. Do not jump right into a a RTA (rebuildable tank) You will get frustrated and go right back to smoking. Keep it simple. Actually, you might even like a good "pod/mod"... I recommend the Innokin Kroma Z (love mine even though I have other stuff including a dual battery 220 watt mod) It comes with two coils... one MTL and one restricted DL... good way to see what you like.
    So many good people here... feel free to ask questions.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I remember the first period i had headaches and my eyes hurt lol from reading threads here and asking people and trying to unserstand all the words cause i dont know good english also..

Dont worry man as i see here people already provided all the info u need and as always this place is the best to learn everything u need for vaping through the internet!!!

And the vape device u want to get the hellvape vertex and drag mod is good stuff....usually people buy vape devices with disposable coils at first cause its easier but as u said u have a friend also and if he can help at first i think u gonna be fine with with the fact that u gonna try quit smoking by using a rebuildable atomizer that needs a little work to build it....

About the juices and wires and wattages or nicotine levels and all that its good that u ask and people explain how it goes but some things in vaping has to do with personal preference....

So yeah u start with the most common and recomended and then if u want adjust on the way sooo to me seems you are on the right track...

Quiting smoking gonna be awesome and you will benefit in soooo many ways besides the obvious and most important that is your health ofc

:party::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    I use a 3mm ID coil in the MD so there is enough cotton to fill the wick ports and don't get any leaks. Nice tank IMO.:) I just use simple 28 or 26 ga round wire so I chuck the whole deal if I want to redo the build. I have a couple pods with 50mg nik when I need a boost, like first thing in the morning, but usually vape 12mg. I coil so I can use a mech mod if I want, usually about 15watts, all I need really.:)

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Don't get overwhelmed, we're using a lot of acronyms which you'll get used to after not long. In deciphering other people's questions and explanations, you'll figure things out as you go. Everyone was where you're at, at one point or another. Stuff will start clicking and you'll have a bunch of "aha!" moments and all will be well again.

Here's a quick terminology cheat sheet I'd recommend you copy into a notepad app on your phone and/or on your computer to help you out until you are more familiar with everything:

Vape Styles:
    General Terms:
    • Loose - More airflow
    • Restricted/Tight - Less airflow
    Different Vaping Styles:
    • MTL - Restricted Mouth-To-Lung (like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose)
    • DL/DTL - Direct Lung/Direct-To-Lung (like sucking a grain of sand through a garden hose)
    Examples:
    • Loose MTL (may be denoted as LMTL), would mean there's more airflow than you would expect from a general Mouth-To-Lung vape style. Instead of a golf ball, maybe a grape.
    • Restricted DL/DTL (may be denoted as RDL or RDTL), would mean there's less airflow than what you would expect for a Direct Lung/Direct-To-Lung vape style. Instead of a grain of sand, maybe a small bearing.

Coils:
    • Ohms - The resistance of current in a conductor (coil) when introduced to electricity. In general, Wattage and Ohms/Resistance work like a teeter-totter. A low Ohm coil (0.1 or 0.2 Ohms) will generally require a higher Wattage to heat it up enough to vaporize the ejuice. Inversely, a higher Ohm coil (1.2 or 1.6 or even a 2 Ohms) requires lower wattage to properly vaporize it.
      • Low Ohms/High Wattage = Generally Direct Lung/Direct-To-Lung
      • High Ohms/Low Wattage = Generally Mouth-To-Lung
    • Drop-ins/Drop-in Coils - Prebuilt coils that you can simply screw in or "drop" into an atomizer specific to that coil type. Many prebuilt coils are cross compatible with other atomizers or tanks, but many are also not. It's good to know which prebuilt coils are compatible with your tank.
    • PnP - Plug-n-Pull - Often referred to as Drop-ins or Drop-in Coils for PnP tanks or pods.

Atomizer (aka Tank/RTA/RDTA/RDA/RBA/SRDA/Subohm/etc):

• Tank - General term for any atomizer that holds juice w/in a tank system.
    • Sub-ohm - Is/was often referred to generally as a "sub-ohm" tank for prebuilt coils/drop-in coils meant for Direct Lung vaping, but as Hawise mentioned, many Mouth-To-Lung vape coils are now below 1 Ohm, making them also sub-ohm. If an atomizer (tank) does not mention RTA, RDTA, RDA, RBA, or SRDA, then it is a tank that's meant to use prebuilt, drop in or screw in coils with dimensions specific for that tank.
    • RTA - Rebuildable Tank Atomizer
    • RDTA - Rebuildable Deck Tank Atomizer
    • RDA - Rebuildable Deck Atomizer
    • RBA - ReBuildable Atomizer
    • SRDA (rare) - Semi-Rebuildable Deck Atomizer
    **If a tank/atomizer mentions RBA, RDTA, RTA, RDA, or SRDA in its name, then it is a rebuildable deck atomizer. This is completely separate and non-related to any mention of "MTL" or "DL". The Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA you posted about, it's an RTA - that's a "Rebuildable Tank Atomizer" with wires and cotton that you will need to manually cut, place, screw in, burn off, drum, wick, trim, fluff, situate, saturate with juice, reassemble, and hope all of that went well, to properly install it. It's a trial and error process. As others have mentioned, I'd suggest starting with a drop in coil MTL tank. The Zenith II with prebuilt drop in Z-coils would be a great start. In fact, the entire Innokin CoolFire Z80 Kit would be even better. I own two of them and will likely be purchasing more. They're rather inexpensive and they're stellar in quality, simplicity, and performance.**

Now, to more directly address your questions:
    The Drag X Plus is a sub ohm device
    VooPoo makes mods for the very basic, general vaper. The Drag X Plus might be considered a sub-ohm device, but it isn't necessarily defined as that. I just threw on the Zenith II MTL/RDL (Mouth-To-Lung/Restricted Direct Lung) with a 0.8 ohm coil on the Drag X Plus and it's vaping it just fine. However, higher ohm coils, more specifically rebuildable deck atomizers, might not be handled all that well with the Drag X Plus. The 1.6 ohm coil for the Zenith II might not even be able to handle it. Or if it does, maybe not all that well. Or it might run the mod/battery hot even. So in general yes, it's for DL vaping with lower ohm coils, but it isn't restricted to just that.
    Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA is, well, MTL right?
    Yes, it's likely going to have a very tight draw - probably more so than you'd get from a cig.
    Are the two compatible?
    Very likely, unless you spin and cut (or buy) a thinner gauge wire and spin it with an Inner Dimension (ID) of 3mm or 3.5mm, 10 or so times. I don't see the Drag X Plus performing to this configuration all that well. This would produce a loooooot of resistance. I just threw on an RTA that's 30 or 32 gauge, 3mm ID with 7 or 8 turns. The coil readout is 0.8 ohms. It's vaping, but I don't think it's optimal.
    And am I right in thinking wattage would be set differently between the two?
    Definitely. But again as I mentioned just above, they're cross compatible to a certain point of resistance. I would suggest the Innokin CoolFire Z80 mod or a dual battery mod if you're going to go to really high ohms.
    Also, with the juice, can you use a 70/30 with both sub ohm and MTL?
    Definitely.
    I'm thinking of buying a shortfill with a nic shot, but obviously don't want to get something that isn't going to work as well as something else.
    If you're planning on dabbling into salt nic juices, you'll have to ask someone else about that. I have no knowledge or experience with salt nics.
    Out of interest, what would you recommend given the direction I'm looking in?
    Definitely the Innokin CoolFire Z80 Kit with the Zenith II tank (or Zenith Pro or Zlide) for MTL vaping. The drop in Z-coils are tried and true for performance, longevity, and offer a very wide range or ohms for experimentation (0.3 to 1.6 ohm coils). Once you establish what you like, that will give you a better direction of where you want to head. The CoolFire Z80 mod will likely handle pretty much anything you throw at it with or w/out the Zenith II, Pro, or Zlide tank attached. If you wish to try any of those 3 tanks, your Drag X Plus should work decently well, but I'm not sure about the 1.6 ohm coils.

Does anyone else have the Drag X Plus (not Pro) with a 1.6 ohm drop in tank that can verify this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread