Concentrates and their availabilty after pmta rules go into effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
I have been reading through this thread because of what is going to happen on Sept 9th 2020 and how it is going to effect buying my favorite flavors online. I will have to go the DIY route. However, I have seen lots of threads talking about flavor concentrates being purchased online from different sources. I realise that a concentrate is not an e liquid. It is used to flavor e liquids. Are these going to be banned or be subject to the pmta rules and cost to these online suppliers?
My tastes are pretty simple. I like a raspberry and cake and strawberry and cake flavor, a lemon tart flavor and halo's Tribeca (which I will still be able to buy) and halo's menthol v (need to make my own menthol flavor now). It seems these flavor concentrates are more than just pg, vg, and flavoring like a strawberry flavor. These concentrates seem to be put together using a lot of different things.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Vendor's that are actual flavoring companies like FlavourArt shouldn't have any issues. Companies like Bull City Flavors, BCF, should also be safe as they don't carry nic or gear. Some like Flavorah that advertise their flavors are designed specifically for making juice to use in vaping devices may have to make some name & marketing changes here in the states.

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
This may sound sound super simple but from what I can tell all I would need is some liquid nicotine from somewhere, some pg and vg and a concentrate or two to make some e liquid. Of course figuring out how much or little of everything is the trick. As long as concentrates and liquid nicotine can still be obtained, I may be able to do this myself. I was starting to panic thinking I had to get separate flavorings to come up with things like a realistic raspberry taste but if there is a concentrate that already does that, I feel better about entering the world of DIY.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
This may sound sound super simple but from what I can tell all I would need is some liquid nicotine from somewhere, some pg and vg and a concentrate or two to make some e liquid. Of course figuring out how much or little of everything is the trick. As long as concentrates and liquid nicotine can still be obtained, I may be able to do this myself. I was starting to panic thinking I had to get separate flavorings to come up with things like a realistic raspberry taste but if there is a concentrate that already does that, I feel better about entering the world of DIY.
There are resources online to help. For example:
The FAQ - Beginner's Guide, Resources, Tutorials, Subreddit Directory, Recipes, And More (Read This Before Posting) : DIY_eJuice
en.liqcalc.com
How to Make Vape Juice - Best DIY Vape Juice Guide | LNW

Plenty of places to get supplies...
Nude Nicotine | Nicotine Solutions
Liquid Nicotine - Nicotine Salts | Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers
Nicotine Liquid - Vegetable Glycerin - Flavorings -Wholesale and DIY Heartlandvapes Wholesale
CBD, Terpenes, & Liquid Nicotine for Sale | River Supply Co.
Wizard Labs
DIY E-Cig Supplies & Hardware | Make your Own E-Liquid | Nicotine Giant
Liquid Barn™ - Everything you need to make premium eJuice and eLiquid

Glycerinsupplier.com: Wholesale USP Glycerin Distributor
Your One Stop Shop for DIY Flavoring, Great Prices and Great Customer Service

ECBlend Flavors | E-Liquid | Vape Juice & Vape Supplies
Flavorah FLV - The Flavoring for E-juice | DIY Flavor Concentrate
Bull City Flavors - Best Prices on Flavoring

And more.

Plenty of info right here on the forum, too...
Must Start DIY E-liquid Making ASAP

i'm just getting into it, too. Good luck!

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The most obvious problem here is the nicotine base. That's why many of us have stocked up. I'm guessing that most of of even have a dedicated freezer to store it in long term. The reason is because even if the nic base is not subject to PMTA, it could be subject to a hefty federal tax at some point and then you have to worry about state laws and taxation. For all we know, they might even make it illegal to buy nic base, or a certain strength of nic base, without a license.

Flavoring theoretically should not be a problem unless the company specifically markets them for ejuice flavoring. But really, how flavorings are going to be affected is really an unknown.

As far as anything else (VG, PG, equipment), that's all 120% safe as far as I'm concerned.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I would advise getting the nic now; the government is wanting to put a ridiculously high tax on it. Flavors, vg, and pg will be available for years to come. Mixing isn't hard but tweaking your mixes is pure trial and error. We can help you with starting percentage once we know what flavors you're looking at.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    This may sound sound super simple but from what I can tell all I would need is some liquid nicotine from somewhere, some pg and vg and a concentrate or two to make some e liquid. ...

Yeah... That is the Foundational Complexities of doing DIY.

And since Flavorings, PG and VG are still going to be Available after the FDA Drop Dead Date of September 9th, it would seem that the Coveted Ingredient would be the Nicotine.

So that is what I would be Buying Before All Else.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Buy Nic, as much as you think you might need for at least a few years plus 20% and a small freezer if you can afford it.
    Get at least a small stash of VG and PG, these should be available after the 9th (are they going to shut down farms and bakeries and coffee shops and candy stores and dozens of other businesses and hobbies over this?).
    Same with flavors, a small stash of your favorite types, if you know them, maybe in the 4 ounce sizes or more (for the same reason as the (-) above!).

I'm generally set, one more buy in the next week.

Reactions: stols001

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
    Heartland vapes house nic is pretty respectable, good price. They may have a sale around labor day, though that could be cutting it close. Free shipping at $50.

Storage: glass bottles with polycone caps (Heartland has them too, I like 250ml), okay to fill near the top, but not touching the polycone. I add a little self fusing silicone tape to seal the cap to the bottle (not a must, but it'll keep the cap from accidentally opening if I move things around), and attach a label with name, strength, date. Stash the bottles in a freezer; I use a 3.5 cubic foot chest freezer in our basement, with the nic in some plastic tubs in the bottom, the rest of it is food.

Use: pull a bottle a day before you need to use it, let it get to room temp before opening. I always shake the bottle for a few seconds before opening and making a batch of eliquid.

Longevity: years. I nominally have a couple decade supply, expect that if I keep it cold and in the dark it'll stay pretty good.

PG and VG are used for many things, not an issue. I often get pg usp from a local tractor supply store, and in a punch you van get Glycerine USP (aka VG) in the first aid section of many pharmacies.

Other than for tobacco-flavor flavorings (I don't know of any non vaping use for those other than some items from Seedman used to flavor tobacco itself), flavors should be a non issue.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I just stocked up on my 5 favorite e liquids so don't have to make any myself for quite a while but if I have to buy the nic, what is the shelf life and where can I store it until I need it?
    Best way to store nic is in a freezer. Store in glass bottles with labels clearly stating what strength and date. Here is an easy calculator to tell you how much you'll need for however many years. You don't need to buy anything else for now. To save freezer space order 100mg or 250mg.
    Vaping Community e-liquid Calculator - Vapocalypse Calculator

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
    For anyone who is a fan of tobacco flavored eliquid, I'd probably get some tobacco absolute, split it into 1oz bottles with most going in the freezer. A little TA goes a long way in tobacco eliquids.

With TA, plus Seedman TOB506 (which isn't going anywhere, not directly a vaping flavoring), you have an excellent base tobacco that can then be enhanced (a bit of vanilla, hazelnut, or caramel is nice). Other Seedman flavorings are decent, depending on what you're trying to make.

(My old recipes from a decade ago could become popular again [emoji3])

• Informative
    Reactions: HigherStateD

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I just stocked up on my 5 favorite e liquids so don't have to make any myself for quite a while but if I have to buy the nic, what is the shelf life and where can I store it until I need it?

All of these Time Lengths base of what I have read and Conservative Estimates of what I have seen In Person. All all are for Nicotine base Stored in a Glass Bottle.

Stored in a Cool, Dark Place like the back of a Closet: 2 Years
    Stored in a Refrigerator: 5 Years
    Stored in a Freezer: At Least 10+Years (Indefinitely ?)

So what Many People do is have some Nicotine Base in a Bottle in the Frig. Maybe 6 Months worth. And keep the Rest in the Freezer.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I have been reading through this thread because of what is going to happen on Sept 9th 2020 and how it is going to effect buying my favorite flavors online. I will have to go the DIY route. However, I have seen lots of threads talking about flavor concentrates being purchased online from different sources. I realise that a concentrate is not an e liquid. It is used to flavor e liquids. Are these going to be banned or be subject to the pmta rules and cost to these online suppliers?
    My tastes are pretty simple. I like a raspberry and cake and strawberry and cake flavor, a lemon tart flavor and halo's Tribeca (which I will still be able to buy) and halo's menthol v (need to make my own menthol flavor now). It seems these flavor concentrates are more than just pg, vg, and flavoring like a strawberry flavor. These concentrates seem to be put together using a lot of different things.
    I suggest getting a few one shots to begin with. All you do is add nic and pg/vg to them. The work is already done getting flavors figured out and mixed while you work on some recipes you create or use of others.

One shots are available from several places such as Liquid Barn, OSDIY and others.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @FoxdenVixen - As others have said...the only thing you really need to buy ASAP, is Liters of nicotine base to last you for as long as you'd like to continue vaping. The Vacopalypse Calculator that Letitia linked to will help you figure out how much you'll need...based on your daily use, what mg you'll want your DIY eliquid to be, and what mg nic base you buy.

As mentioned, Heartland Vapes 100mg/mL House nicotine base is very good nic base, and is very reasonably priced by the Liter at only $44.99. If you buy 4L or more, the price automatically drops to $42.99/Liter. If you buy your nic base, the bottles, and the caps with polycone liners that you'll need, and use the 1-time use coupon code VAPEMAG...it'll save you 5% more off of everything. Any order you place for $50 or more is FREE S/H, too. That Free S/H saves you a bunch of $, and even more...if you buy 1 gallon each of PG and VG as part of your order, too. Those 2 gallons weigh 18lbs. by themselves!

To help you figure out how many 8oz. (240mL) bottles and polycone caps you'd need for your nic base...each bottle actually holds 255mL when you fill it up to the bottom thread on the neck of the bottle. That leaves enough room for the cone part of the cap to fit fine, without displacing any nic base. If you need some 4oz. (120mL) bottles...each one of them actually holds 126mL up to the bottom thread on the neck of the bottle.

To find out how many 8oz. bottles you'd need - Just multiply the number of Liters the calculator tells you you'll need x 1000, and then divide by 255. Any extra can be put into 4oz. bottle(s). You actually need 2 of the 4oz. bottles anyway...to break down an 8oz. bottle as you need to use 1 from the freezer. After you break it into the 2 bottles...put 1 back in the freezer and keep 1 out in a cool place or in your refrigerator for your "working" bottle while doing your DIY mixes.

ETA: I always buy a couple extra of each size bottle, to allow for potential accidental breakage. Same with the polycone caps...buy some extra ones of them, too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread