Condom Fill Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdunlapx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio, USA
I use the condom refill method. Per Leaford's video it says to stop filling it when it bubbles up. Well I do it just as slow as he does and stop as soon as it bubbles up, but I always have to blow my cartos out because it's flooded. How does he not have to do that but I do. I follow his steps exactly.

I'm frustrated.

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
I use the condom refill method. Per Leaford's video it says to stop filling it when it bubbles up. Well I do it just as slow as he does and stop as soon as it bubbles up, but I always have to blow my cartos out because it's flooded. How does he not have to do that but I do. I follow his steps exactly.

I'm frustrated.

the carto condom fill method works best with a blank or clean cartomizer. My advice is to just go even slower than you already are. I don't use the taryn spin either, I jus rub it between my hands, and have never had a flooded cart:D

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I use the condom refill method. Per Leaford's video it says to stop filling it when it bubbles up. Well I do it just as slow as he does and stop as soon as it bubbles up, but I always have to blow my cartos out because it's flooded.
I'm frustrated.

Yes, if his are brand new and dry, then his will probably hold more.
I would think just try to remember how much you were able to put in it on average, and just put in half as much, and then go from there.

A brief spin is important the more you put in it, precisely because it brings any excess liquid back down towards the baterry end.

ALC

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Ohio
I too have been having the same problems with the condom method. I started using this method consistently for about a week and topping off at the end of the day. I have found that the trick is definitely SLOW!!! I also noticed that when you pull the carto up go slow for the suction to work to suck back in some of the juice out of the middle. If you take the top off and watch the juice flow in you can see that it will take all of it, but if you leave the cap on it comes through because of going to fast. Now I have added the spin or roll in my hands and this has cut the issue down drastically.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I used to have this problem until I stopped being greedy. Like v1John said, start with less juice. In most cases I just use just over half a cap (about 16 drops), slowly push up filling from the mouthpiece end, do a quick couple of spins, pull the cap off slowly as ALC said, put clean caps on, and let sit for a day or so before using. There is a lot of variation cart to cart and batch to batch however; some carts I can only get 10 drops in, others I can get 25 in. When I limit the operation to 16 drops, it almost always works great, no juice in mouthpiece, and I don't even have to blow them out. Ok, maybe the refills won't last quite as long compared to fill, spin, fill to the max, but it takes a lot less time and hassle. Just my $0.02 :)

kdcaines

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Manchester, NH
I agree with jam. I fill the condom about halfway, and this seems to be perfect. If you fill till the juice starts coming out the battery end that's when you're most likely to have a problem. I do have to fill a bit more often, but it's quick and not as messy.

Oh and I only use this method with the hard caps. I use the drip method on the soft caps. When I use the condom fill on the soft caps, the cap came off and stayed in the condom!

Last edited:

yano_jl

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
South Florida, USA
Ok, maybe the refills won't last quite as long compared to fill, spin, fill to the max, but it takes a lot less time and hassle.

I'm all about less time and hassle, sounds good to me. I have also added 1 additional step when working with my cartos. I swab the cartos and silicone caps with alcohol. When not in use, I always keep the mouth end of the cartos covered with these silicone caps.

In my first month, I caught a flu bug or something. I can't say for sure it was from the cartos; but since then I have taken to this sterilization practice and have had no problems.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm all about less time and hassle, sounds good to me. I have also added 1 additional step when working with my cartos. I swab the cartos and silicone caps with alcohol. When not in use, I always keep the mouth end of the cartos covered with these silicone caps.

In my first month, I caught a flu bug or something. I can't say for sure it was from the cartos; but since then I have taken to this sterilization practice and have had no problems.

Excellent point; I have commented on other boil refill posts that none of them really follow proper sanitary procedures for the caps (including my own detailed technique I first posted). They go to all this trouble to boil / sanitize the carts, but simply rinse off the caps and o-rings in water - which does nothing to kill any germs or bacteria. I have suggested that all the condom and mouthpiece parts be soaked in alcohol or swabbed as you suggest prior to being put back in use. In your case where you are not boiling, I completely agree with your procedure to also swab the cart. Good sanitary practices are only as effective as the weakest link in the chain, and the importance of proper sanitation after refill of the cart / mouthpiece parts should not be neglected.

macscac

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
im going to start using a syringe to refill..
the condom works but its messy.
syringe should be cake!

and because of this thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/81110-11-syringes-4-cents-act-now.html

i just got 12 syringes shipped to me for 28 cents!!
i just got my fedex confirmation this morning!

Item #
Description
Price

Qty

Extended
9N-169
Syringe
3cc - luer lock
$0.15

$0.90
9N-161
Needles
Monoject, 18 gauge, 1-1/2"
$0.19

$2.28
9N-35292
Syringe
6cc - luer lock
$0.35

$2.10
Merchandise Subtotal : $5.28
+ Shipping : Free!
$5 off order : - $5.00
Payment Type : PayPal
TOTAL CHARGES : $0.28

macscac

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
i received my syringes today...
wow i feel like a drug user!! a ziplock bag full of needles!
the box had 11 in there. i see no reason why i would ever need more than one.
oh well.... it was 28 cents for the whole box!

anyhow, wow!! filling has never been easier...
1ml + whatever is inside the needle... fills the cart right up.. no overfill and immediately vapes great!
you guys should look into it!

the drip, spin, redrip, spin method is way more labor intensive

lizziebith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Austin, TX
i received my syringes today...
wow i feel like a drug user!! a ziplock bag full of needles!
the box had 11 in there. i see no reason why i would ever need more than one.
oh well.... it was 28 cents for the whole box!

anyhow, wow!! filling has never been easier...
1ml + whatever is inside the needle... fills the cart right up.. no overfill and immediately vapes great!
you guys should look into it!

the drip, spin, redrip, spin method is way more labor intensive

I had ordered a syringe a while ago, but never got around to trying it -- but you convinced me. Wow!!! My cartos are now vaping like new!

I think my "needle" is too wide though -- it made a bit of a mess. What gauge needle did you get? I may order a better one.

EDIT: oh duh! I see your post with your order right up above! heh.

Laz777

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
East Coast
I've only been vaping since Friday but this is what seems easiest to me:

(I have tried the syringe method but haven't tried the condom method. Never did like condoms much! :))

I just remove the white plug, then I remove the clear plug. After that I just gently drop juice down the sides of the cart. The juice hits the filler material and is absorbed. I let the cart sit awhile and then take a look at the filler to see if more juice is needed. If the filler looks dry I just drip some more juice down the inside walls of the cart. Pretty simple.

-laz.

(Since I'm very new to refilling I may eventually experience problems with this method and try something else. I personally think the syringe refill is a hassle but that's just me)

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
laz777, A few little spins can greatly help. I put the battery end cap with the hole plug, then I put it in the battery bag with a rubber band about a third from the top. The bag has the rubber band permanently. It's my official spin tool. Then I hold one of the strings and spin it briefly several times.

macscac, I think that if it says 1ml. then it's only 1ml.
You said plus whatever was in the needle, but that same amount is what should remain in the needle. I hope everyone is careful with the needle itself at all times, I think I like the drops method the most, with the simple 7 Taryn spins in the battery bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread