Confessed Carto Killer needs advice !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
Ok...first of all I do not want this to be a continuation of that recent ugly thread that Steve had the foresight to close.... I Know I am burning up my carts...I taste it, I smell it, I feel it....don't know how you can miss it when it happens....my problem is that I don't see it coming some of the time.

Ive been vaping with the VK for over a month, I am a heavy vaper... and I cant help it...its sooooo good!!

I have read all the tips on vaping and how to tell when its time to discard/refill and about 50% of the time I can tell I'm pushing my luck. I get the vape reduction, or taste reduction, or both and know to stop

But the other 50% of the time, right before I realize I just toasted my favorite carto....I don't catch anything!. I was actually more successful in the beginning. My first order of cartos I burnt 2 right off then had much better luck catching the signs. I also didn't vape as much ...it has really grown on me I guess!!

Here is my typical (worst) vaping scheme: When I sit at the computer with the PT plugged in I will usually hit the carto two or three times in a row with a few breaths (seconds) in between then set it down for a few min. If I feel the carto getting hot I stop until completely cool. then repeat. I am always listening for that beautiful sizzle (don't know why I love that so!) and fairly close attention to taste; maybe more than vapor. I know a PT can be harder on cartos so I try to be more careful but this is were i burn the most.

The other scenarios: while using batteries, since im outside, in the truck, or in general life situations that make it hard to "hear" the carto, I pay more attention to the vapor output, but have burned several this way as well. I usually vape less on batts because I'm usually doing something that keeps me/my hands busy and I only take a single hit (two at the most as: hit pause, Hit, put it back in the old shirt pocket)

In the beginning I was able to make a carto last two days, so I became accustomed to that. Now I vape a lot more (I know I need to work on my self control) but seem to be burning cartos disproportionately

Any more defining tips?? something I missed that I should be looking for?? whats was your learning curve before you stopped burning carts???

ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED

PS: I just burnt another Kamel...*&%%# *$^^!! And I was being very careful, so I thought...and it still has great vapor, and the sizzle, but now tastes like the burning filter of an analog (thought I was over that) !

I wish "they" made idiot proof cartos ... but it would be nice if "they" made cars that couldn't run into stuff too!!

Thanks in advance for your input and sorry for the proximity to that other thread!

And to anyone hoping to jump on the "See, It happend to him too" wagon ...JUST DONT....I love my VK, I know I am burning them, and I aint givin them up!!!

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
One thing I might suggest is to find yourself some non-tobacco, non-menthol flavors to vape for a little while. Tobacco and menthol flavors seem to hide the "done" flavor more than something fruity or sweet. If you can deal with something like blueberry or apple, try that for awhile. It's super-easy to taste the when these are finished, and it might help you identify the flavor easier in your favorites.

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
You've opened the cartos and saw that they were burned? Mine taste "funny" - then I switch to another flavor for a few puffs - then put it back on - if it still tastes "funny" - it's done - otherwise it was a tastebud wake-up call. I've opened my "funny" tasting cartos - and they're not burned.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I usually have two batts with me - I only get short breaks during the day so will take 3 draws off one, then 3 off the other and that gets me through till the next break without overheating the carto.

When at home and power vaping, I have my passthrough and a batt and will rotate them so as not to over heat the carto. After an hour of vaping, I will add about 6 drops in each carto and then continue. A wet carto is a happy carto... and a happy carto keeps me off the smokes! ;)

Michelle43

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
North Dakota
I confess, I am a burner too :p

My flavor doesn't have liquid to keep filling it up while using though, so that may be why.

I have thought about it and it comes down to this:
*I have flavors I don't like, so I vape some of it then will clean those out to be refilled.
*Flavors that I LOVE that don't have juice to refill with, although it is hard to do, stop at the first hint of drop off in flavor. Then the carto can still be cleaned and reused with a different juice.
*If I do go to far with a carto, dispose of it after use as they are meant to be disposable.

leeshor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Norcross, GA
So far, I have never burned a carto that I didn't know it was happening and didn't care because it was old anyway.

I think the suggestions that you use 2 and alternate are great also. At some point I would think you will learn when it should be getting low or dry even if you can't taste it. So the idea of using a fruity carto is also a good idea.

But it sound to me like it may also be over heating. I find that touching the side of the carto to the outside of my upper OR lower lip tells me if it's hot. That's a sensitive spot and will tell you if there is a problem quicker than feeling it with your fingers.

I can tell you you won't exactly look suave doing it but it works for me.

Lee

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
I guess I am trying to fully comprehend the burnt thing.

I've burnt cartos before, and KNEW it.

So, I decided (at my own expense) to take apart 10 partially used cartomizers from my case. Nothing.

Kinda ...... I did it, but wanted to see for myself.

However, now I have 10 cartomizers that I can no longer use. Sucks to be me.

:)

Michelle43

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
North Dakota
One thing interesting to note. I had 31 boiled clean carto's that I cleaned when I was a new user. Back then I didn't know to blow them out so I just let them sit upright in a bowl to air dry. In the meantime I learned I should have at least blown the water out.

ANYWAYS:
I opened them all up today out of curiosity. Half I had burned the filler but even the those the filler was clean and white after cleaning just had a small hole. Burned cartos may be able to be reused with a good cleaning. Here is a pic of 2 cartos I burned (without knowing it) and cleaned with intention to use again. After cleaning all that brown yuckiness is gone. I would feel okay using those cartos again after a good cleaning and being careful not to burn it again.
cartoclean.jpg

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
One thing I might suggest is to find yourself some non-tobacco, non-menthol flavors to vape for a little while. Tobacco and menthol flavors seem to hide the "done" flavor more than something fruity or sweet. If you can deal with something like blueberry or apple, try that for awhile. It's super-easy to taste the when these are finished, and it might help you identify the flavor easier in your favorites.

I did get some 0-nic grape in my last order Ill give that a try...got it for when I felt like fogging the house but didnt want to OD on the nic...but this may work into that plan...thanks Stephra

Michelle43

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
North Dakota
I guess I am trying to fully comprehend the burnt thing.

I've burnt cartos before, and KNEW it.

So, I decided (at my own expense) to take apart 10 partially used cartomizers from my case. Nothing.

Kinda ...... I did it, but wanted to see for myself.

However, now I have 10 cartomizers that I can no longer use. Sucks to be me.

:)

Partially used I wouldn't expect them to be burned?

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
You've opened the cartos and saw that they were burned? Mine taste "funny" - then I switch to another flavor for a few puffs - then put it back on - if it still tastes "funny" - it's done - otherwise it was a tastebud wake-up call. I've opened my "funny" tasting cartos - and they're not burned.

bee, when I think I burn one I mark it and separate it ...actually took them all apart today and most were obviously cooked ...even from the top I could see/feel hard spots ...only had two that were questionable...maybe more of a heavy stain. I usually have at least two carto going at one time anyway... just to break things up...thanks for the sugg.

mischief

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
St Augustine, FL, USA
Vaping is partly a hobby for me, since I'm retired. I enjoy the filling and re-filling aspects of vaping. What I'm doing is adding more liquid every couple of hours when I'm power vaping. The result is no loss of flavor and no fear of losing a little friend. If I'm out and about, I take several cartos and rotate, then re-fill soon as I'm home. Hope this helps.

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I usually have two batts with me - I only get short breaks during the day so will take 3 draws off one, then 3 off the other and that gets me through till the next break without overheating the carto.

When at home and power vaping, I have my passthrough and a batt and will rotate them so as not to over heat the carto. After an hour of vaping, I will add about 6 drops in each carto and then continue. A wet carto is a happy carto... and a happy carto keeps me off the smokes! ;)

Thanks Jen...Thats the detail I need... have heard the suggestion of topping often but was not sure which method or how much people are finding works...guess it kind of depends on how much I vape also ...there's that trial and error thing again hugh!

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I confess, I am a burner too :p

My flavor doesn't have liquid to keep filling it up while using though, so that may be why.

I have thought about it and it comes down to this:
*I have flavors I don't like, so I vape some of it then will clean those out to be refilled.
*Flavors that I LOVE that don't have juice to refill with, although it is hard to do, stop at the first hint of drop off in flavor. Then the carto can still be cleaned and reused with a different juice.
*If I do go to far with a carto, dispose of it after use as they are meant to be disposable.

Thanks Michelle...good philosophy; I just need to be more critical of the flavor issue I guess ... I like the analog clones myself (kamel, is my fav) and some of them have [what could be called] a burnt overtone to them...maybe I just subconsciously like "burnt" ..lol

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
One thing interesting to note. I had 31 boiled clean carto's that I cleaned when I was a new user. ...........................Burned cartos may be able to be reused with a good cleaning. Here is a pic of 2 cartos ..

I did have a couple that looked similar (but more that were charcoal)... and agree we could probably have used those again ...if we didn't destroy them checking ...oops... Two more dead soldiers !!

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I think you're suffering from not being able to distinguish the burny taste of the actual flavor from the burny taste of being finished. I had a hard time specifically with the Kamel you mentioned... it's hard to tell where the flavor change is. Just my opinion but I think switching to something lighter will help. Once you KNOW that taste better, go back to the Kamel and it will pop right out at you when you sense it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread