Confession of raw stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
Thanks Rose... I think. LOL Actually, braille labels wouldn't have helped. When Mrs. Ciego (who has more eyesight than I) helped me put braille labels on the bottles, I switched them up by mistake. The Malty was labeled VG, the VG got labeled Malty. Nope, braille wasn't the problem. It was just me being stoooooopidd. <drools happily into his drip tip and giggles>

Duh duh duh duh duh.....

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
@ Salanna. Aw.... *blushing*

@ Tybin - You're kidding, right? Good Lord! * mild retching *

I'm recovering nicely. I just got some PIF juices and an order from KBV in today's mail; rest assured that I will be much more cautious when labeling.

I'm in a strange position. In order to braille bottles, they have to be 10 ml. or larger, and even then, there's only room for limited info. So, I can put the name on the bottle, but there never seems to be enough room for the origin, date or nicotine strength. I'm working on a system using barcodes and an electronic, talking barcode reader from Envision America, but it's definitely a process. For some things that I frequently use (VG for instance), it's easy, as it will be for favorite juices that I will frequently re-order, but for one-time samples or novelty juices, it's not really practical. I will accept suggestions. <g>

Last edited:

Sallana

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
the North Pole
www.lynnekirsch.com
Do you have a way to write in braile on a sheet of paper? Excuse my ignorance on this one, I'm just not familiar with the technology that's out there now. If you had like a braile printer that would be awesome.

You could simply print a braile label and put a number on it. Then on a piece of paper, put the number and corresponding information. Takes a little longer, but would be a solution.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
@ Sallana...

You're a genius! Yes, I've thought of that. Then again, my juice inventory changes literally from day to day, so keeping such a list updated would require some real work. Also, my braille is pretty bad; I lost my eyesight in my early 40's (ten years ago or so,) so I didn't learn braille as a child. My only saving grace is that Mrs. Ciego is a teacher of the blind, and can do a lot of the labeling for me. Also, she's got more eyesight than I do, so thanks to a powerful flat-panel electronic magnifier can read labels on things, then translate them into braille. I can read simple labels, but at this point don't read books or anything really long or difficult, including involved lists. I do keep an Excel spreadsheet going with my juices listed, but I'm pretty lazy about keeping it up-to-date.

After the Malty/VG debacle, I might just have to be a wee bit more diligent and careful. Ya think? LOL

To answer your implied question: Yes, we have ways to write braille by hand, and with something sort of like an old-school typewriter. Also, the school for the blind in our city has computer printers with braille output called embossers, which work fairly well. Of course, being a government agency, the school frowns on private use of their embossers.

And I am quite serious when I say that it is fun to just open a bottle, drip some on an atty and take a puff. If I really hate a flavor, love a flavor or am 50/50 on it, I can sort the bottles into groups; I have a multi-drawer tool chest that I keep my vaping supplies in, including partitions for different nic strengths and favorite/not-so-favorite flavors.

And, I can walk and chew gum at the same time! Hooray!

<wink>

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Ripple,

Your idea and that of Sallana on the next page are typical of what blind people do to label and organize things. Not a stupid idea at all. It gets a little complicated when you have 30 bottles of different juices, but it's a pretty good thought. So no, not moronic in the least.

My digitally-controlled stove is covered in braille. My washer has marks for the different cycles. My microwave keypad is labeled with both braille and indicator marks. I put rubber bands on the conditioner so I can tell it from the shampoo. I keep black socks in one drawer, brown ones in another, white ones in another...and if I get confused about the color of something, I have a little gizmo the size of a remote control that scans fabric and tells me the color.

My computer talks, as does my calculator and my indoor/outdoor thermometer. Until it blew up, I had a talking multimeter. My watch talks, but I also have a tactile one.

(Now if I can only figure out a way around on-screen programming on the TV...)

And, contrary to what Mom always told me, I *can so* find my own ... with both hands...sometimes.

Thanks for the good suggestion from the Land of Corruption...
Sometimes the best strategies are the simplest ones.
===
How about glue-on studs of different shapes and textures??? Like those little girl craft kits, they have all sorts of different plastic shapes and sizes........Or this could be a moronic idea, I cannot comprehend your affectation, only understand!:)

cobaltblue

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
A cabin in the woods and loving it
I really love these ideas. Love organizing things anyway though.

Sallana's idea is something close to what I do with my flavors. A number on each bottle, with corresponding description on a computer document? Easy to update, too.

I keep my bottles on a finished oak board with 100 holes drilled in a 10 x 10 square so I can count them in rows of ten. Maybe a large piece of foam with X's in a 10 x 10 grid would work to hold your bottles?

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
CobaltBlue....another great idea. Now all I need to do is fire up the drill press. Oh wait... I don't have a drill press. LOL

Somebody also suggested .44 magnum cartridge cases to hold cartomizers (KR8).

See? This is what I really love about this forum. People come up with great little tricks to make vaping better, all the time.

BTW, thanks for the Mega carto (which had Fluvall in it already!) and the extra whistle tip. The Mega carto is fabulous! I need to find a cheap source for those li'l buggers. I can't believe how much juice they hold, and how much vapor they produce on my little Ego...amazing.

Keep the ideas coming... this is great!

I really love these ideas. Love organizing things anyway though.

Sallana's idea is something close to what I do with my flavors. A number on each bottle, with corresponding description on a computer document? Easy to update, too.

I keep my bottles on a finished oak board with 100 holes drilled in a 10 x 10 square so I can count them in rows of ten. Maybe a large piece of foam with X's in a 10 x 10 grid would work to hold your bottles?

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
@ CobaltBlue. The best idea so far I think, but one which requires a high-tech solution is to number code the bottles (one braille symbol per digit plus a numeral sign to indicate that the braille is a number), then a list or spreadsheet maintained on a computer. Not bad, and one which I've sort of fooled around with.

I poromise you this. I'll never vape unflavored 0 nicotine VG again.... untl the next time I screw up, of course. LOL

cobaltblue

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
A cabin in the woods and loving it
CobaltBlue....another great idea. Now all I need to do is fire up the drill press. Oh wait... I don't have a drill press. LOL

Somebody also suggested .44 magnum cartridge cases to hold cartomizers (KR8).

See? This is what I really love about this forum. People come up with great little tricks to make vaping better, all the time.

BTW, thanks for the Mega carto (which had Fluvall in it already!) and the extra whistle tip. The Mega carto is fabulous! I need to find a cheap source for those li'l buggers. I can't believe how much juice they hold, and how much vapor they produce on my little Ego...amazing.

Keep the ideas coming... this is great!

Well, that's why I suggested foam (and also so you could put different size bottles in it), but now I'm wondering if giving you scissors is a good idea. Future story written by Ciego...

Mrs. Ciego is a little upset with me today. Started my project with the foam we picked up at the craft store, but now we're missing a sofa cushion.... :laugh:

Gosh I just love those stories. :)

Glad you like the atty.

Last edited:

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
@ CobaltBlue

Very, very funny. You're a funny lady, you know that?

Sofa cushions my ....... No, I would be far more likely to cannibalize the foam padding from one of her bra.....oh, never mind.

I'm not incompetent, just confused. And what makes you think that Mrs. Ciego lets me play with scissors? Well, maybe the ones with the rounded tips. <wink>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread