Confirmed reason to look for safe batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
This happened just last night. Before bed last night, I decided to check the forums and email. My wife already was asleep. I decided to load up my dripper and vape while browsing. I put in a freshly charged battery. I was running a .2 ohm build in an older Efest 1600 V1 (rewrapped sony VTC3). I took a few puffs as I tried to load the website.... the internet was down, so I locked the mod, and went to the router to check things out.... After working with the router for about 5 minutes, I realized, I wasn't getting a signal from the internet provider.... so, I sat down to do some maintenance.... Through the light of the computer monitor, I saw some vapor coming from the drip tip..... the mod was NOT locked, and it was continuously firing for 5+ minutes. I went to pick it up, and it was too hot to pickup, so I turned it on the side so it would stop firing..... I grabbed a towel, and took it into the bathroom put it in the sink and turned on the water.... It sizzled when the water hit the mod. After a few seconds, I unscrewed the bottom button and took the battery out.

The mod cooled down battery stayed in the water for a bit. It was so hot, it started to split the shrink wrapping (it continued to shrink it until it split). The mod was fine, battery was fine... no bulging, smell, etc. I still might not use the battery just in case. turned out, I had not locked the bottom ring.

So, continued advice... do not vape a pulse rating, always vape continuous rating and use safe batteries.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
This happened just last night. Before bed last night, I decided to check the forums and email. My wife already was asleep. I decided to load up my dripper and vape while browsing. I put in a freshly charged battery. I was running a .2 ohm build in an older Efest 1600 V1 (rewrapped sony VTC3). I took a few puffs as I tried to load the website.... the internet was down, so I locked the mod, and went to the router to check things out.... After working with the router for about 5 minutes, I realized, I wasn't getting a signal from the internet provider.... so, I sat down to do some maintenance.... Through the light of the computer monitor, I saw some vapor coming from the drip tip..... the mod was NOT locked, and it was continuously firing for 5+ minutes. I went to pick it up, and it was too hot to pickup, so I turned it on the side so it would stop firing..... I grabbed a towel, and took it into the bathroom put it in the sink and turned on the water.... It sizzled when the water hit the mod. After a few seconds, I unscrewed the bottom button and took the battery out.

The mod cooled down battery stayed in the water for a bit. It was so hot, it started to split the shrink wrapping (it continued to shrink it until it split). The mod was fine, battery was fine... no bulging, smell, etc. I still might not use the battery just in case. turned out, I had not locked the bottom ring.

So, continued advice... do not vape a pulse rating, always vape continuous rating and use safe batteries.

Added note... just found the delrin drip tip.. it melted on the 510 connector by the o-rings.. it was a derringer style mod with a delrin drip tip.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I've had mech mods accidentally self fire before, but never wrecked a battery. My mechs now all have good enough switches that they don't need to be locked though.

On a dual 18650 unregulated mod, I did put one of two 25R batteries in backwards while I was drinking and showing my mod to someone in the outdoor smoking area of a pub in Germany. It took about 30 seconds before I realized that my mod didn't fire and I popped open the back as fast as I could feeling the batteries almost burn my hand. I got them out though. The wrapper was starting to get small bulges on it. So I trashed them as soon as they cooled down. No serious venting though and certainly no explosions.

Would have destroyed any battery, but at least the 25R didn't hurt anybody when it happened.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
OMG You guys that's so dangerous! /end sarcasm

Glad you hear nothing happened to either of you. Most of my issues have been coil related, but it's always good to read these warnings. I have a SMPL clone (now retired) that the magnets got a bit broken, so if I'm not paying attention and put it over something, the button can end up being pushed in just enough to keep firing. Freaked out when I saw the vapor still coming out until I realized what it was, since it has no locking ring I make sure it's sitting in a flat surface.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA

I think I would toss the battery in the recycle bin ! Im glad nothing serious happened.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
1: failed to lock the fire button properly
2: stood the mod upright

I actually have some mods upright right now, but they're not in use, most don't have batteries, and the one or 2 that have a batt in them, I'm sure they are locked and they're not in use. Actually one is a vamo, so no lock bottom problem there.

bottom fired mechs which are in use I have laying horizontally.
Yes, I have had incidents where I left bottom fired mechs upright not properly locked, and that's why I keep a row of them horizontal, and I don't even vape high wattage, and all my mechs have a kick... except the gppaps clone which doesn't have room for a kick+18650, but it does have a recessed button so that one stands up.

Actually one of these days I'll grind down a piece of the lock ring on the gppaps clone to make it more like the praxis to get the standup of a recessed button without the finger pain.

1997901-2.jpg

praxis: semi recessed fire button - so you can stand it upright but fire it as easily as regular mech

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
There are many many mechs that can stand upright without self-firing.
Off the top of my head:
Cartel, Pegasus, Manhattan, Overdose, Skyline M6, Paragon, SMPL, Onyx, Oros, Panzer, XXIX, FM.... I could really keep going. Sometimes its not practical to set the mod down horizontally... it will roll away... or your RDA will leak.
OP should just get some magnets to fix the switch so that locking is only something you need to do if you are putting the mod in your pocket.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Off the top of my head:
Cartel, Pegasus, Manhattan, Overdose, Skyline M6, Paragon, SMPL, Onyx, Oros, Panzer, XXIX, FM.... I could really keep going. Sometimes its not practical to set the mod down horizontally... it will roll away... or your RDA will leak.
OP should just get some magnets to fix the switch so that locking is only something you need to do if you are putting the mod in your pocket.
Agreed magnets are the way to go!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Off the top of my head:

I'm not getting how magnets would help?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I'm not getting how magnets would help?
It self-fired because the spring was not strong enough to support the mod + atomizer. A better spring would also help, but neodymium magnets can replace the spring. Not only will they be strong enough to support they mod, but they do not lose magnetism over time so they will always be strong enough. The mod will fire when the button is pressed, not when it is set down and not locked.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Please don't ever put a battery in this condition in fresh water.

Lithium will self ignite when exposed to fresh water, you could have made a relatively not to bad situation extremely worse.

The safest thing to do is take it outside and let it sit on the concrete or a brick or something.

You have no idea how lucky you really actually are this night, had the can cracked open it could have exploded in your face.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Please don't ever put a battery in this condition in fresh water.

Lithium will self ignite when exposed to fresh water, you could have made a relatively not to bad situation extremely worse.

The safest thing to do is take it outside and let it sit on the concrete or a brick or something.

You have no idea how lucky you really actually are this night, had the can cracked open it could have exploded in your face.

You beat me to it I was looking for something to post on the subject as well. The OP dodged a bullet on that one! A damp towel and throw it out side for a good long while is the best course of action to take IMO.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Really glad you weren't injured, or your home either! :thumb:

Andria

Reactions: SissySpike

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I agree. I think that VTC3 would still be usable if it wasn't placed in a tub of water. damn.
If the battery got so hot that the OP was unable to touch the mod with his hands he said the mod was sizzling. Water or not the integrity of the battery is compromised and should be taken out of service and disposed of properly.

Edit: Back when I had a still I learned water boils at 212 degrees there is a slight variation the further you go above sea level but that taken aside if the water he poured on the mod sizzled Its safe to assume the external temp was at least 212 degrees.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I agree it was dangerously hot, and I don't know if I would trust an Efest re-wrap. And OP should surely dispose of that battery now. But Sony does rate the VTC series for 30A and tests them up to this current on their spec sheet... these are continuous drain tests (longer than 5 minutes and tested until voltage drops down to 2.5V). And they DO get very hot, more hot than most people would deem safe. But they don't vent or explode or compromise the integrity of the battery.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
If it was a Sony-branded VTC with no visible damage and I was able to cool it off without placing in water, I would try to charge it, even though I have many of these and the replacement cost is not a major expense anyway. Personally, I would just do it to see if the Sony VTC specs are legitimate.

I agree that its hard to believe that any respectable battery manufacturer would rate their batteries 30A CDR when they hit temps like this, but Sony does. I couldn't find the VTC3 spec in a quick google search, but this is the VTC4 spec, which is essentially the same cell just with a higher mAh capacity.
ZhqPwdb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread