Conflict Green Top 40A 3500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just another rewrapped 10A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This Conflict cell is a rewrap with a ridiculously exaggerated current rating. The capacity rating is exaggerated too. It is identical in appearance and almost identical in performance to the LG MH1 10A 3200mAh cell. At only a 15A continuous discharge it's almost hot enough to boil water. A 40A continuous discharge wasn't even possible as the voltage collapses at just 30A. At 40A pulsed the voltage of a freshly charged cell dropped to my 2.8V cutoff in just 2 seconds.

Continuous-Current Test Results (with comparison to LG MH1)
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 73°C and about 2950mAh. This is average for these high internal resistance, high capacity 3200mAh cells at 10A so I am rating this cell at 3200mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 96°C, almost to my safety limit of 100°C. This is way, way above the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR, indicating that we are operating at significantly above the cell's actual rating. The voltage is low and sagging a lot.
    • At 20A continuous the voltage sag was huge and the temperature rose to 86°C even though the discharge was very short.
    • At 30A the voltage plunged almost instantly quickly to a useless level.
    • I didn't even try to do a 40A discharge as it would have only lasted a fraction of a second before the low cutoff voltage was reached.
    • I am setting a CDR of 10A for this cell. Its temperature is the same as the LG MH1 operating at its CDR and its appearance and performance are also the same as the MH1. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 10A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    These cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

View attachment 550250 View attachment 550251 View attachment 550252 View attachment 550254

Bottom Line
    This Conflict cell is a rewrap with a ridiculously exaggerated current rating. The capacity rating is exaggerated too. It is identical in appearance and almost identical in performance to the LG MH1 10A 3200mAh cell. At only a 15A continuous discharge it's almost hot enough to boil water. A 40A continuous discharge wasn't even possible as the voltage collapses at just 30A. At 40A pulsed the voltage of a freshly charged cell dropped to my 2.8V cutoff in just 2 seconds.

Continuous-Current Test Results (with comparison to LG MH1)
    View attachment 550255

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    View attachment 550256 View attachment 550257

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 73°C and about 2950mAh. This is average for these high internal resistance, high capacity 3200mAh cells at 10A so I am rating this cell at 3200mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 96°C, almost to my safety limit of 100°C. This is way, way above the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR, indicating that we are operating at significantly above the cell's actual rating. The voltage is low and sagging a lot.
    • At 20A continuous the voltage sag was huge and the temperature rose to 86°C even though the discharge was very short.
    • At 30A the voltage plunged almost instantly quickly to a useless level.
    • I didn't even try to do a 40A discharge as it would have only lasted a fraction of a second before the low cutoff voltage was reached.
    • I am setting a CDR of 10A for this cell. Its temperature is the same as the LG MH1 operating at its CDR and its appearance and performance are also the same as the MH1. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 10A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    Surprise, surprise...

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Just shocking. There has to be some more effective way of warning people about these products.

There really aren't any resources that reach most vapors as many don't even participate in an online vaping community. A good start are my postings to ECF, ECR, and Facebook. I post to Vaporium too. From there the word spreads a bit more as others repost. Getting the vendors to stop carrying things like these is critical.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Any chance of an interview with popular online celebrities like Phil Busardo or Grimm Greene? I know they have both given Mooch a shout out.

They haven't asked yet but who knows what the future brings.
    Keep your eye on PBusardo's web site though. There will be a few changes coming soon. :)

MikeyConti

VapeBro
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2014
    South Carolina
    Ill print out your Latest charts and bring them to local B&Ms with Links to your Blog/Archive!!

The ones that do carry good batteries such as the Samsung 25R, charge $15 for them, but I would rather see that then Efest's (Purple 30-40A) and other Re-Wraps sold for the same if not higher price!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread