Confused on mech vs regulated question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
I guess my "joke" flew right over everyones head.
I was just trying to point out that mods don't get wicked and wired.Atomisers do.:)
I am not sure why it would be any more complicated to wick and wire an atty on a mech then a regulated device.Unless they were referring to the need to be more accurate in your target resistance; but in that case wouldn't all atomisers be more complicated to build on a mech? Maybe I am missing something?:confused:
I am guilty. HaHa >> Assumed your post into OP's thread was an honest question.

I think everyone would have assumed wicked and wired (building) for a mech related to building for a mech vs regulated mod. Please forgive my ignorance. Seems we are both more or less on the same page now (related to building for either use same principals, methods, components). Thx for the clarification.

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I will try to behave from now on
Keepo.png

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I am guilty. HaHa >> Assumed your post into OP's thread was an honest question.

I think everyone would have assumed wicked and wired (building) for a mech related to building for a mech vs regulated mod. Please forgive my ignorance. Seems we are both more or less on the same page now (related to building for either use same principals, methods, components). Thx for the clarification.
Assumed.....Ah silly person.......:D

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have used both mech and regulated mods over the last 6 years. I've pretty much retired my mechs for three reasons:

1. The safety risk of using a mech is almost always going to be higher for the simple reason that most do not have any protection circuitry. Even though I'm an experienced mech user, I'm still profoundly aware of that potential risk. Things happen that can cause a battery to inadvertantly hard short no matter how diligent your safe practices are; things that a protection chip would probably prevent a catastrophy. I should add that I had a battery explode inside a mech mod several years ago due to my ignorance and carelessness.

2. I like variety. I like a variety of flavors. I like a variety of vaping experiences using variable power. I can get that via the variable power output of a regulated mod. With a regulated mod, I can vape at 30 watts in the morning. And if my mood changes in the afternoon or evening, I can vape at 40 watts for a different vaping experience. I can't get that option with an unregulated mech. I would need to change the coil resistance of the atomizer to get the same results with a mech.

3. Simply put, the consistancy of power regulation. With a mech, there is always that gradual decline in vaping experience due to the battery's decline in power as its used. Its best when you put in that fully charged battery, and then its all downhill from there. With a regulated mod, the microchip makes adjusts in power output based upon voltage of the battery while it drains during use and the setting the user demands. The atomizer receives the same power output no matter the voltage of the battery.

I'll always keep my mechs and rebuildable atomizers for the worse case scenario if FDA regulation returns vaping to 2007. But as long as there are regulated mods and clearomizer tanks and replacement coils I'll stick with them.

Last edited:

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
I have used both mech and regulated mods over the last 6 years. I've pretty much retired my mechs for three reasons:

1. The safety risk of using a mech is almost always going to be higher for the simple reason that most do not have any protection circuitry. Even though I'm an experienced mech user, I'm still profoundly aware of that potential risk. Things happen that can cause a battery to inadvertantly hard short no matter how diligent your safe practices are; things that a protection chip would probably prevent a catastrophy.

2. I like variety. I like a variety of flavors. I like a variety of vaping experiences using variable power. I can get that via the variable power output of a regulated mod. With a regulated mod, I can vape at 30 watts in the morning. And if my mood changes in the afternoon or evening, I can vape at 40 watts for a different vaping experience. I can't get that option with an unregulated mech. I would need to change the coil resistance of the atomizer to get the same results with a mech.

3. Simply put, the consistancy of power regulation. With a mech, there is always that gradual decline in vaping experience due to the battery's decline in power as its used. Its best when you put in that fully charged battery, and then its all downhill from there. With a regulated mod, the microchip makes adjusts in power output based upon voltage of the battery while it drains during use and the setting the user demands. The atomizer receives the same power output no matter the voltage of the battery.

I'll always keep my mechs and rebuildable atomizers for the worse case scenario if FDA regulation returns vaping to 2007. But as long as there are regulated mods and clearomizer tanks and replacement coils I'll stick with them.

I’ve been a hardcore mech guy for years until very recently. Your reasons 2 and 3 are exactly why I’m finding myself hitting regulated mods with more frequency. I’m not into TC, mods that tell time, or uploading my own wallpapers, but a good, simple, robust regulated mod is in my hand mostly these days.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I prefer mech mods for their simplicity and the power curve provided by an unregulated device. Since I use coils at around 1.25ohm, I don't need a terawatt of power for a satisfying vape. Think about when you smoked, it was different at the beginning than it was at the end. I find a mech simulates this. I also like the constant, non-pulsing power. I suppose my stance my change after the first time I blow myself up but until then, I'm a confirmed mech man.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
No Mod's with wiring, soldering, chips, etc are not Mech's. A Mech is just metal to battery, I'm being .... for a reason and you need to fully understand this for safety reasons.

Anyway here's my story. I was once perfectly happy with Vaping on regulated Mod's with factory coils. I once said rebuilding, meh too bothersome and I certainly would never touch an unrelated Mod or a Mech. What happened you say? Well it was Government Federal, States and the FDA. I refuse to go back to the Stinkies. So I started stockpiling, started rebuilding and went WOW, the flavor and Vape was so much better. I then got my first Mech only to be the nuclear option. I did my homework, learned how to safely use them and again went WOW! I vape 99.99% all Mech's now and I can thank government for turning me on to a fun and rewarding hobby.

With that said why do I stay with Mech's is pretty simple. Regulated Mod's do not deliver on -

A good quality Mech
1. Provide the smoothest Vape that regulated cannot deliver, yes even TC
2. Virtually Indestructible, they will dig up my Mech's 500 years from now and they'll still work
3. Simplicity, I know the builds I like and build accordingly. So when I vape I push the button I get a damn fine Vape. When the Vape goes down I swap the battery, that's it.
4. A well designed Mech is simple to clean. I only do a deep clean every month or two which again is simple with a well designed Mech.
5. They're beautiful, haven't seen any regulated Mod that can come close.

All that though requires one to do their homework, it's not difficult but requires one to make a little bit of an effort. There are very simple basic but important rules. For me it's like a car. Buy an automatic if you just want transportation but if you want to drive get a stick. Me I don't just want a nicotine delivery device, I want to Vape.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Regulated Mod's do not deliver on -

A good quality Mech
1. Provide the smoothest Vape that regulated cannot deliver, yes even TC
2. Virtually Indestructible, they will dig up my Mech's 500 years from now and they'll still work
I'll argue that a few top-of-the line chipsets in regulated mods can match that "smoothest vape" of a mech. The chip in the Provari, and the DNA and YiHi chipsets arguably deliver the same smooth vape of a mech.

And again, the Provari was manufactured to be every bit as durable as a mech.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I'll argue that a few top-of-the line chipsets in regulated mods can match that "smoothest vape" of a mech. The chip in the Provari, and the DNA and YiHi chipsets arguably deliver the same smooth vape of a mech.

And again, the Provari was manufactured to be every bit as durable as a mech.

We'll have to agree to disagree, plus I've seen more than a few posts with Provari's dying. They have electronic chips and chips fail for that's what they do.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We'll have to agree to disagree, plus I've seen more than a few posts with Provari's dying. They have electronic chips and chips fail for that's what they do.
I can honestly say that in my 6 years of being an avid ECF member, I've never read or heard of a Provari dying other than the one run over by a lawn mower. I heard the owner sent it in to Provape and they sent him a new Provari for free.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I thought I killed a radius one time. I'm certainly CAPABLE of it if anyone is.... But then ENAUD fixed the problem for me LOL.

I want the husband to try his mech mod but neither of us (I have a cold, he is in the throes of quitting) are really probably in the right state of mind to try. I'm just proud I fixed his N2 problem for him, LOL.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread