Connecticut to investigate Juul labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, he seems pretty uppity with himself.

Also announcing it.… You just KNOW they are going to hide the secret ingredient.

I don't get quite what this accomplishes, frankly. He should have raided it in secret, in the dead of night, like the IRS tried to do with Scientology.

Scientology won and so will the juul there is no official in Connecticut for Christ's sake that is going to take down the juul.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Actually he's probably ANNOUNCING it just to look good or something. He doesn't want to find the secret ingredient and has already promised them he will ignore it.

He just wants a headline "Hard on juul."

If Juul were being manufactured in MY state you can bet your bottom dollar they would not want them to LEAVE.

LOL that reminds me when Musk came here for "secret" talks with Tucson officials about building a plant here?

About a mile and a half into his limo ride he asked the driver, "Oh hey are ALL the roads in this city THIS bad?" The guy said, "Yes, pretty much."

Musk said, "Um, okay. Could you kindly take me back to the airport now please." Sorry Tucson you should not have GRAFTED so much from the roads.

Also, number of times I popped a tire in Tucson---I lost count.

Number of times in Sierra Vista AND Doglas? ZERO.

Also my husband gave me this AMAZING invention recently. It's a tire charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter and it is SUPER easy to operate and has great GAUGE capacity.

I hid it in my trunk and I am keeping it forever. I really like my tires to be at the right pressure but I HATE the gas station ones . They're expensive, they are a PITA, you always wonder if you lose air more than you gain air, and like, they just SUCK. Not to mention all the grease and dirt you (well I) windup having to kneel in
With THIS sucker, you don't have ANY of that. I am going to aerate my tires WEEKLY.

Also, the kid drove through the mountains in one of the worst thunder/hailstorms I have ever seen. He did great. I just kept saying quiet things like, "Honey, if you feel yourself hydroplaning, which you will notice, downshift. It's all good, just don't grab the brakes and downshift calmly."

I would not have enjoyed driving it and he most CERTAILY did not (we even stopped for a while, it got so bad) but he would not admit it.

The males are out bonding.

How often, however, do these GRAFTY politicians shoot their cities in the foot. I'm not saying I wanted a Tesla plant in Tucson (and now I greatly don't care) but man it would have been good for the economy. Gah.

Anna

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
The Juul has two components: the e-cigarette, which holds the battery and temperature regulation system; and the “pod,” which contains e-liquid — made up of nicotine, glycerol and propylene glycol, benzoic acid, and flavorants.

I don't think I'd want to inhale any type of acid. I also just read that glycerol may be harmful if inhaled.

Immediately or shortly after exposure to benzoic acid, the following health effects can occur:
  • Eye damage.
  • Irritation of the skin, resulting in a rash, redness, and/or a burning feeling.
  • Irritation to the nose, throat and lungs if inhaled, which may cause coughing, wheezing and/or shortness of breath.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
CDC Blames Spike in Teen Tobacco Use on Vaping, Juul

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is blaming nicotine vaping devices like the popular Juul brand for single-handedly causing a spike in tobacco use among teenagers.

FDA made surprise visit to Juul as CDC finds vape maker dominates market
New research shows teens who vape go one to vape and smoke more

The CDC’s Brian King says he knows what is going on: the company is selling exceptionally addictive products and is pushing them hard with sophisticated advertising and marketing campaigns.

Have no sympathy for Juul; they've nullified all the harm-reduction goodwill created by the vaping community.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I feel the same about Juul but it's still disappointing that the CDC would take this line. I always thought they were a reputable organisation. Same thing happened in the UK prior to EU TPD regulations being confirmed. The amount of organisations who exposed themselves as charlatans was disturbing. I won't forget anytime soon.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
All organizations take on a life of their own and deviate from their original mission, some more than others (depending on current leadership). FAA (with ongoing Boeing 737 Max disasters) is one example. Google founders had a 'Do No Harm' philosophy and is now spying on everyone worse than Huawei. It seems the CDC was probably ordered to aggressively investigate Juul , see link below ...

Examining JUUL’s Role in the Youth Nicotine Epidemic: Part I

In any case, Juul and Altria seem to be destroying themselves by self-inflicted wounds ... if this stock chart continues, it will revisit its recent lows and become a penny stock.

charts.dll

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
All organizations take on a life of their own and deviate from their original mission, some more than others (depending on current leadership). FAA (with ongoing Boeing 737 Max disasters) is one example. Google founders had a 'Do No Harm' philosophy and is now spying on everyone worse than Huawei. It seems the CDC was probably ordered to aggressively investigate Juul , see link below ...

Examining JUUL’s Role in the Youth Nicotine Epidemic: Part I

In any case, Juul and Altria seem to be destroying themselves by self-inflicted wounds ... if this stock chart continues, it will revisit its recent lows and become a penny stock.

charts.dll

I wonder what that Chart will look like if/when JUUL receives a PMTA from the FDA?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't see how the FDA could approve a PMTA for Juul without looking like hypocrites.

I Don't see how the FDA can Not approve a JUUL PMTA without stepping into a Ginormous Lawsuit.

I'm sure JUUL will have some Biometric Age Detection. Or a Wi-Fi connection that alerts the FDA of when the User takes a Hit. Or something that the FDA will say makes it All Better.

And the FDA is planning on Lowering the Teen Use Numbers after the Drop Dead Date anyway. So I would say it will All kinda fall Into place One Way or another.

BTW - When did the FDA stop doing things that made them Look Hypocritical? That announcement must have accidentally have gone into my e-Mail Junk Mail folder.

LOL

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I Don't see how the FDA can Not approve a JUUL PMTA without stepping into a Ginormous Lawsuit.

Altria shares slide amid accelerating decline in cigarette sales and concerns over Juul investment
The FDA's review process calls for the agency to weigh the net public health benefit — meaning it needs to weigh how many adults will benefit from the product versus how many teens might be harmed — when deciding whether to allow products to stay on the market.

Juul And Rivals, Given 10 Months To Submit FDA Application, Face Battle To Keep Selling E-Cigs
Ex-FDA Chief Gottlieb Doubts Juul’s Chances

Meet Scott Gottlieb’s Successor at FDA - Vaping360
There is no reason to think Sharpless will veer far from Gottlieb’s vision for FDA tobacco and vape regulation. In fact, the White House has made it clear that the Trump administration will follow Gottlieb’s lead.

IWF -FDA’s Sharpless will not be kind to vaping
“Sharpless has been supportive of Gottlieb’s efforts to ban vaping products,”

Below we see the CDC's very clear position ...

Quick Facts on the Risks of E-cigarettes for Young People
Why Is Nicotine Unsafe for Kids, Teens, and Young Adults?
  • Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine—the addictive drug in regular cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products.
  • Nicotine can harm the developing adolescent brain.1 The brain keeps developing until about age 25.
  • Using nicotine in adolescence can harm the parts of the brain that control attention, learning, mood, and impulse control.1
  • Each time a new memory is created or a new skill is learned, stronger connections – or synapses – are built between brain cells. Young people’s brains build synapses faster than adult brains. Nicotine changes the way these synapses are formed.
  • Using nicotine in adolescence may also increase risk for future addiction to other drugs.1

So, unless a new FDA commissioner takes over (which can happen), it seems Juul is f'd! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It does seem kinda Bleak for JUUL right now, doesn't it.

But of course, that Bleakness is All Based on basically One Parameter. The Teen Use Numbers.

Now if those Pesky teen use numbers were to somehow change, those Same Numbers that Many of Us and Many THR Experts have said are Intentionally Artificially High, it would seem that the Bleakness index would change also.

And that is Exactly what is Going to Happen. The Teen Use Numbers are (going to be) Change.

Because if Policy(s) (and the Media Crowds with Flaming Pitchforks) had No Effect on Public Perception, well then we would Lose Faith in our Policy Makers. And we Can't have that.

So I'm Not sure I'd be Unloading My Altria Stock just yet.

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
  • Nicotine can harm the developing adolescent brain.1 The brain keeps developing until about age 25.
  • Using nicotine in adolescence can harm the parts of the brain that control attention, learning, mood, and impulse control
Oh, that's why I'm so terrible stupid
I can only read and write Dutch, German, English and French. :(

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
  • Using nicotine in adolescence can harm the parts of the brain that control attention, learning, mood, and impulse control

If only you didn't start smoking, you would be able to do Klingon as well.

Reactions: Puff2K

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It does seem kinda Bleak for JUUL right now, doesn't it.

But of course, that Bleakness is All Based on basically One Parameter. The Teen Use Numbers.
. I concur. Teen use numbers specifically in the USA afaik. My last look at EU numbers was that teen use in the EU were not going up like the were in the USA. Is this still the case?
Now if those Pesky teen use numbers were to somehow change, those Same Numbers that Many of Us and Many THR Experts have said are Intentionally Artificially High, it would seem that the Bleakness index would change also.
I concur again. (Changed from “true” because not everything I or anyone else thinks is true necessesarily is)
And that is Exactly what is Going to Happen. The Teen Use Numbers are (going to be) Change.

Because if Policy(s) (and the Media Crowds with Flaming Pitchforks) had No Effect on Public Perception, well then we would Lose Faith in our Policy Makers. And we Can't have that.

So I'm Not sure I'd be Unloading My Altria Stock just yet.
Changed so they are more true or changed so they are less true or changed because they actually changed?

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My memory (which could be wrong) is that the “can harm” thing is somewhat derived rather than direct, and is based on a couple of things Like creation of nicotine receptors in the brain and the vassoconstrictive behavior of nicotine combined with our current (and pretty limited compared to other organs) understanding of brain development. Hard numbers are nearly impossible to get on this one, because designing a double blind study using children and addictive drugs is something nazi Germany might not even have gotten away with.

I agree that the thing is very possibly overstated. AFAIK we just don’t know all that much.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If I have 100 % confidence in anything is that the Juul will be around. Tobacco and menthol ONLY maybe but the Juul are the vape equivalent of cockroaches. They will survive the nuclear winter and come out fighting.

Think about that one every time you put one to your lips (which was why I only did it once. I was like, "Um.... Yeah.... I think I like this particular puff a LITTLE bit TOO much.) But yeah, you are inhaling cockroach.

Anna

Reactions: puffon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread