Consistency of Plain VG for Cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Central Ohio
I searched this subforum but didn't find this question addressed. The item on your site labeled "Pure USP Grade VG" is sold for cutting and mixing. In terms of consistency, is it the thick kind that can be purchased in some stores for cake icing or is it thinned to be the correct consistency for mixing and/or vaping? Thanks for the info.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
It needs to be thinned. You can use distilled water or grain alcohol.

Hey Mrs, is there a method to determine the correct viscosity when thinning or is it trial and error. There are slight viscosity differances between the various liquids I currently have, a couple I want to cut w/ VG but I've held off due to uncertainties about too thick or too thin.

TIA

bitey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Central Ohio
Hey Mrs, is there a method to determine the correct viscosity when thinning or is it trial and error. There are slight viscosity differances between the various liquids I currently have, a couple I want to cut w/ VG but I've held off due to uncertainties about too thick or too thin.

TIA

Yeah, I really need to know this too. Using distilled water, I have seen one poster who said 10% water and another who said 20% water. Because the only prepared VG juice I have found is JC and the viscosity of theirs varies from batch to batch, I really don't know what viscosity I am shooting for. Do you or MrJaaxx have a suggestion or formula or at least a description of what viscosity we are trying to create? Thanks for any insight you can share.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
Do you or MrJaaxx have a suggestion or formula or at least a description of what viscosity we are trying to create? Thanks for any insight you can share.

It's really a matter of preference. I like to thin Vg just enough so that it drips nicely down the inside of my atomizer in about 1-2 seconds. In other words, quite thicker than most PG liquid.

The 10-20% recommendations are inline. I like to use a mix of 2 parts water to 1 part grain alcohol for thinning. I usually end up with about 15% of that mixture.

Another trick is to find a liquid you like (viscosity-wise) and drip it on a mirror held at a steep angle. Look at the length of the drip before it gets so thin that it stops moving. Drip your thinned liquid next to that trail and compare. Adjust as necessary.

Jaaxx

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
It's really a matter of preference. I like to thin Vg just enough so that it drips nicely down the inside of my atomizer in about 1-2 seconds. In other words, quite thicker than most PG liquid.

The 10-20% recommendations are inline. I like to use a mix of 2 parts water to 1 part grain alcohol for thinning. I usually end up with about 15% of that mixture.

Another trick is to find a liquid you like (viscosity-wise) and drip it on a mirror held at a steep angle. Look at the length of the drip before it gets so thin that it stops moving. Drip your thinned liquid next to that trail and compare. Adjust as necessary.

Jaaxx

Thanks Jaaxx. That's the kind of "rule of thumb" guidance I can understand!

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread