Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Full contact: easier to work with, give me a nice crackle, work well, pita to wick properly with silica / Ekowool since it's an assisted coil I. E. Is made with the help of a mandrel and is wicked later.

Spaced coil: easy to make especially when wrapped directly on silica or Ekowool as it sets the perfect contact between the coil and wick. Hard to make evenly and even harder to maintain the shape if wicking afterwards.

Some people say Spaced coils gunk less or at least slower. Maybe. The juices I vape hardly gunk anything Spaced or full contact.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I am a big fan of spaced coils, never use anything else. Contrary to the above I don't have any troubles in 'wicking afterwards' with cotton wool.
Doesn't matter what gauge of wire, they all maintain their shape well enough to allow you to thread the wick through without ruining the shape.

Get plenty of flavour and vapour with my coils, plus there is no burning or charring of the wick even after a being used for a few tanks. When rinsed the cotton wicks go back to their usual colour.

From my logic, having spaces between the coils allows vapour to escape from more of the wick...
magmabuild.jpg

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I am a big fan of spaced coils, never use anything else. Contrary to the above I don't have any troubles in 'wicking afterwards' with cotton wool.
Doesn't matter what gauge of wire, they all maintain their shape well enough to allow you to thread the wick through without ruining the shape.

Get plenty of flavour and vapour with my coils, plus there is no burning or charring of the wick even after a being used for a few tanks. When rinsed the cotton wicks go back to their usual colour.

From my logic, having spaces between the coils allows vapour to escape from more of the wick...
View attachment 379138
Try to do that with rayon and a 32 gauge coil :)

You might get away with cotton as it expands when wet but rayon shrinks so you have to pack it pretty tight.

Not saying one is better than the other. Just reporting what I find easier to work with under my conditions.

Rabbit hole? Where? :)

Regards
Tony

Reactions: MacTechVpr

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA

You might get away with cotton as it expands when wet but rayon shrinks so you have to pack it pretty tight.

Not saying one is better than the other. Just reporting what I find easier to work with under my conditions.

Regards
Tony

"Go ask Alice when she is ten feet tall"

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Contact coils seem to heat faster and give a warmer vape as well IMO

Wrath,

I don't think anyone can argue with "faster and warmer". I think that is the main advantage to contact coils. That is why I gave up on ribbon wire you can't do close and if you do it doesn't help much. The other alternative with ribbon is to overlap the windings but I am not comfortable doing that even if it has a name "Tin Man". :facepalm:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Not to sound lighthearted or anything, is it possible to make a contact coil without a torch? Please don't answer that torch is cheap; I'm homeless. All I've got is a pair of pliers. Tried using cigarette lighter didn't work, but heated the pliers all right.
Use the mod...

Mount the coil, check Ohms and fire it up. Take you finger of the switch and while the coil is hot, squeeze it with the pliers. Repeat a couple of times until the coil is tight.

Regards
Tony

Last edited:

Barbchris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Harrisburg, PA

Regards
Tony

I wicked rayon with that logic for a long time, it doesn't expand so I stuffed it in. But I found it didn't feed the juice from the entire wick unless I loosely fed the rayon through the coil. Just my experience.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I wicked rayon with that logic for a long time, it doesn't expand so I stuffed it in. But I found it didn't feed the juice from the entire wick unless I loosely fed the rayon through the coil. Just my experience.
Hi :)

For me, when the rayon squeaks in the coil, it's perfect. Unfortunately getting it in first requires some force. Once in, I can pull on both sides to thin it evenly until I feel it's at the sweet spot.

Regards
Tony

roosterado

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2014
willmar MN
Not to sound lighthearted or anything, is it possible to make a contact coil without a torch? Please don't answer that torch is cheap; I'm homeless. All I've got is a pair of pliers. Tried using cigarette lighter didn't work, but heated the pliers all right.
Yes you can I found a Video of how to do a tension micro coil using the Coiling qismo I did this the coiled pulsed perfectly the first pulse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLIHmm5p2Y

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Yes you can I found a Video of how to do a tension micro coil using the Coiling qismo I did this the coiled pulsed perfectly the first pulse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLIHmm5p2Y
The guy just said he's homeless and can't afford a torch... I didn't look at the video until the end but I guess that scary tower thing isn't free or cheaper than a torch?

Regards
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread