Not open for further replies.

Daedalus317

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Orange Park, Florida
Update: Arnold has vetoed one bill:

Look at the reason for veto:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed the following bill:

AB 264 by Assemblymember Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley) - Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day. See attached veto message.

To the Members of the California State Assembly:

I am returning Assembly Bill 264 without my signature.
Our state is facing significant challenges, including the need for comprehensive changes in our policies on water, energy, and corrections and the need to take meaningful steps to
stimulate the economy and rein in the rising levels of unemployment. This bill does nothing to address any of these issues. I look forward to considering this measure when these other major issues are addressed.

Sincerely,
Arnold Schwarzenegger

I have a feeling that you might be wrong. The title to the bill is "The Stop tobacco Access to Kids Enforcement Act". You see anything with word "Kids" usually get peoples sympathy. Because we are doing this for kids or to protect the kids.

Just my two cents.

Well it looks like he has no intention of a veto on SB 400

This may be the list of Bills he does not intend on signing now.

E-mail sent to the Senate by Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg's chief of staff:

Hello Chiefs of Staff,

The Governor's office has requested the Senate to withdraw a number of bills from Governor's desk that, by law, must be acted on by Governor today or tomorrow. The list is copied below. If the Senate fails to withdraw any of these bills, the Governor's office has pledged to veto them. There are no requested amendments, just more time on which to act on these bills. We are withdrawing them to protect your hard work.

Bill Number Author

SB 11 Negrete McLeod

SB 48 Alquist

SB 52 Correa

SB 102 Committee on Local Government

SB 103 Committee on Local Government

SB 109 Calderon

SB 115 Lowenthal

SB 133 Corbett

SB 166 Runner

SB 169 Benoit

SB 209 Corbett

SB 215 Wiggins

SB 219 Yee

SB 224 Correa

SB 237 Calderon

SB 239 Pavley

SB 247 Alquist

SB 257 Pavley

SB 272 Wiggins

SB 283 DeSaulnier

SB 288 Yee

SB 305 Corbett

SB 308 Harman

SB 314 Calderon

SB 318 Calderon

SB 320 Corbett

SB 325 Alquist

SB 345 Negrete McLeod

SB 431 Benoit

SB 469 Aanestad

SB 470 Corbett

SB 481 Cox

SB 571 Maldonado

SB 589 Harman

SB 605 Ashburn

SB 636 Ashburn

SB 644 Denham

SB 671 Runner

SB 739 Strickland

SB 743 Committee on Health

SB 783 Ashburn

SB 818 Committee on Veterans Affairs

SB 831 Committee on Governmental Organization

E-mail sent to the Assembly by Assembly Speaker Karen Bass' chief of staff:

The governor's office has asked the Assembly and the Senate to pull back from his desk all of the bills that require his action either today or tomorrow. The stated reason for their request was that the governor didn't want to act on these bills while other priorities of his have not been approved.

To help you avoid an automatic rubber stamp veto of these bills, the Speaker will be asking the Assembly to withdraw them from the Governor's Desk today. These bills will be resent to the Governor later this week.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call.

Later, the clerk's office provided a list of bills:

Ab 20, Solorio
AB 32, Lieu
AB 117, Niello
AB 134, Blakeslee
AB 174, Carter
AB 239, Brownley
AB 261, Salas
AB 264, Cook
AB 292, Yamada
AB 400, De Leon
AB 501, Emmerson
AB 506, Furutani
AB 576, Torres
AB 595, Adams
AB 645, Niello
AB 653, Feuer
AB 672, Bass
AB 720, Caballero
AB 825, Blakeslee
AB 873, Price
AB 906, Hill
AB 1046, Anderson
AB 1143, Ma
AB 1169, Ruskin
AB 1457, Davis
AB 1459, Davis
AB 1463, Smyth
AB 1464, Smyth
AB 1510, Eng
AB 1515, Eng

Kevin Yamamura contributed to this post.

Categories: Bills (2009-2010 session), Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Kamanjah

ECF Veteran
Thanks, Lux. I'm not going to get overly worried, that article was written Sept 9.

Still, we can bombard the office with calls asking for a veto of SB 400!

Edit: It's a furlough Friday, there's no way to even leave a message. They won't be open again till Monday. Oh well. One more example of the mess CA is in!

Last edited:
I sent my letter via e-mail AND faxed it. I was surprised the fax actually went through! Maybe it is an e fax or something.

Oh I also posted this on my blog yesterday and sent it to everyone on my e-mail list. I wish I would have heard about it sooner. I have been out of the loop a little lately.

Thanks for all the info Kamanjah.

modestmark

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2009
Southern California
this is really bumming me out.
there's just not enough of us to make a difference.
there was no vote on this. there was no chance for our voices to be heard.
there was no time for campaigning.
there was only a sneak attack piece of legislation disguised as something good.
I really hope there will be some way to continue to get supplies if this goes into effect.

epluribus_vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So was this signed?!?!?!?!? I just checked the CA Governor's page on 'Bills Acted on the by the Governor' and found this:

AB 1666 Price Meal and rest periods: stage assistants. Veto 7/18/2008
AB 2840 Berg Humboldt County: South Spit. Sign 140 7/17/2008
AB 2588 Calderon, Charles Commercial vehicle vending: restrictions. Sign 139 7/17/2008
AB 2554 Mullin Housing: local enforcement: relinquishment. Sign 138 7/17/2008
AB 1808 Huff Ballot statements: candidates for federal office. Sign 137 7/17/2008
AB 1764 Blakeslee Land use: agricultural use. Sign 136 7/17/2008
SB 1431 Wiggins Parks and recreation: easements. Sign 135 7/17/2008
SB 400 Corbett Medi-Cal: outpatient prescription drugs. Sign 134 7/17/2008

God help us all...

epluribus_vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
SORRY! Their website is a little confusing then, I found the list of all bills acted on, and that was on there as signed but the chapter date was from 2008 (from gov ca gov/bills/#all) Please just put periods where the spaces are.. I can't post URLs yet!

So of course I clicked on the bill link, and it took me to SB 400 (in all its ugliness): leginfo ca gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_400&sess=CUR

I'm anxiously standing by...

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
SORRY! Their website is a little confusing then, I found the list of all bills acted on, and that was on there as signed but the chapter date was from 2008 (from gov ca gov/bills/#all) Please just put periods where the spaces are.. I can't post URLs yet!

So of course I clicked on the bill link, and it took me to SB 400 (in all its ugliness): leginfo ca gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_400&sess=CUR

I'm anxiously standing by...

eplurbis... no worries :) We are all anxious. This is a bs law... as all of them are, and is not based on science, it is based on media reports and the FDA report and I know this because I called!!!!

I strongly suggest if this doesn't get vetoed... it might be time to get nasty. (and not towards the governor, but towards the persons responsible for duping their fellow legislators)

epluribus_vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ok, so I'm new to the forum, and I don't know if this is the 'best' place to post this, BUT after seeing all the different states (besides the feds) trying to ban e-cigs, I had to try to ensure we in Georgia are proactive instead of reactive. I just emailed the following message to our Governor, Sonny Perdue, and encourage more Georgians to do the same, and hopefully get our legislators to think about this issue seriously before they vote on something they aren't educated about (of course I also wrote Schwarzenneger too):

Governor Perdue,

I am sure you are aware of the legislation that recently passed in California to ban electronic cigarettes. It is only waiting to be signed into law (or not signed and still become law) by Governor Schwarzenneger. I have heard no thoughts or suggestions that indicate Georgia will be following suit, but as a pre-emptive notification, I beg you to VETO any legislation that would ban this life saving device in Georgia.

I work on a military installation in Georgia, which Senator Chambliss visited recently, and since I began using an electronic cigarette (personal vaporizer) four weeks ago, six coworkers at our facility have begun using one and are healthier for it. One was a Federal employee who told me point blank, "I've smoked for forty years, and when I saw you out here with that thing, I thought 'that's just goofy'. And when I ran out of cigarettes last week, I thought 'why not give it a try'. It's been a week now and I haven't even had the urge to touch a real cigarette. I feel great, I can taste and smell again, and my wife isn't disgusted by my smell. Thank you for showing these to me." That statement touched me, and at the same time, hurt me to tell him that unfortunately, some from our own government are working tirelessly to take these off the shelf, so enjoy it while you can my friend. Because if they go away, he and I, and our coworkers will be back to the 400+ carcinogens we are addicted to.

I am not naive and arguing that these devices are 100% safe for the body, but neither is alcohol, fried food, MSG, charcoal grills and many other things we would have no consideration on banning. But the FDA's own report indicated that AT WORST, they MAY contain TRACE amounts of POSSIBLY dangerous substances (as compared to the 400+ confirmed carcinogens in cigarettes which are 100% legal to sell). I have voted for you because you have always stood by my 2nd Amendment rights, my moral stands, and you are the person I chose and support to represent me and my family; for me and my family's sake on my health Governor, please don't follow California. Thank you for your time, Governor, and thank you for our rights that you've stood up for during your time in office.

Very Respectfully,
Nicholas Wallace, Sr.

I started the mud-flinging yesterday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread