The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Contamination of Vit E in vape related illness & death

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by bnrkwest, Sep 5, 2019.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bnrkwest

bnrkwest Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
  2. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    The link don't work for me..

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. iVapeDIY

iVapeDIY Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
  4. CarolT

CarolT Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    From WaPo: "Unlike the human digestive tract, which can break down and get rid of foreign substances, the lungs aren’t designed to handle anything except gases, experts said."

That's not true. Macrophages ingest and clear out everything in general, such as dust and pollen which are common everywhere in nature. Then they get expelled in sputum.

Indoor air is full of stuff from normal activities like cooking.
    The Hidden Air Pollution in Our Homes

Anyway, we're vindicated now. And those "health authorities" are exposed as liars.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. stratus.vaping

stratus.vaping Super Member ECF Veteran

The story is all over UK news now, but guess what... it's not until the 3rd or 4th para that the fact that the carts are bought on the street by people who want to buy a psychoactive molecule is revealed by most outlets.

Many people will not get that far.

As the articles are very, very similar it must be syndicated, so it's a copy and paste hack journo job yet again... or cunning corporate influence, who knows.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bobwho77

bobwho77 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    Yeah.
    Buy dope from a dealer on the street, and it might not be legit.
    Go figure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    There are plenty of people who refuse to stock up on nic base and learn to DIY to insulate themselves against the FDA. They say, "I'll just buy my juice on the informal market", which basically means from a dealer on the street. No thanks. I wanna know what I'm vaping.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    I heard on the radio that some stupid woman is planning to sue the legitimate vaping companies about her daughter's illness. I'm sure the "health authorities" are pleased with themselves for inciting this unjust lawsuit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I too have sort of horror of the black market. I mean, I want to be part of it in some way if it happens, like carrying a derringer in my stocking thingy what are they called OH I forget you wear one at your wedding and in this horrendous ceremony the groom removes it and tosses it for like whatever guy wants to get married next (the guys all usually run and hide you have to throw it AT one, really. Oh right, garter. I gun in my garter and lots of minions.

But I'm saving the legit stuff for myself I cannot think of anything worse than buying awful liquid from that kid on the street. That holds like NO appeal. Putting him there maybe but being on the buy side not the supply side? NO thanks.

I am mixing today, as it happens .TODAY I MIX.

Anna

• Like Like x 5
  10. iVapeDIY

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Same here. Making 120ml of Maple Banana Butter Cream :vapor:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yesterday was mixing 16oz of 2mg nf vanilla, cream, and a pinch of their caramel cream (all diacetyl-free).

It took 5 minutes, including cleaning the little 15 ml measuring cup

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Another hysterical vape article related to this

Indiana reports its first vaping-related death

[​IMG]
    © Getty Images
    Indiana health officials on Friday reported the state's first vaping-related death, marking the third such death nationwide.

“The tragic loss of a Hoosier and rising number of vaping-related injuries are warnings that we cannot ignore,” State Health Commissioner Kris Box said in a statement Friday

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Today's New York Times: "New York has had 34 reported cases of severe illnesses, in patients ranging in age 15 to 46; in each case, the patient had used 'at least one' [c-word]-related product, the state news release said... [FUD] ... The state said that the vitamin E compound was found in tests of [c-word] products, but not in the nicotine-based products it tested, a finding consistent with reports from doctors that many illnesses have been linked to people using a vaping device for [m-word]."
    New York State Suspects Vitamin E May Have Played a Role in Vaping Illnesses

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. markfm

Supporting member
    Local CNY (Syracuse) paper had an article on the first similar thing popping up in CNY. I commented with a 16 word quote from the WaPo article about it not being found in the nicotine eliquid tested so far, and that doing anything ending up with vitamin E acetate in liquids to be vaped is stupid.

My comment was tagged as "Under Moderation", then "Content Disabled" (meaning not displayed for anyone to see).

I guess it was politically incorrect to point things out

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Blitzdonlife

Blitzdonlife Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Gun in the garter, funny s*** Anna.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. markfm

Supporting member
    There's a new NEJM article out, "some report using only nicotine products."

Any odds on how many of the "some" who turn out to be like the young "not me" guy whose brother, a state trooper, didn't believe him and found what he was actually vaping?

• Agree Agree x 8
  18. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    I just thought of an important question. He reports that the Vitamin E acetate must be heated to very high temperatures in order to vaporize. Does anyone know whether special vaping gear would be needed to do this? And would small self-contained systems like Juul pods even be capable of it? I'm sure there must be experts around here who would know.

19. iVapeDIY

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    https://beta.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/09/05/contaminant-found-vaping-products-linked-deadly-lung-illnesses-state-federal-labs-show/

Vitamin E acetate is basically grease, said Michelle Francl, a chemistry professor at Bryn Mawr College. Its molecular structure means that “you have to heat it up pretty hot” for it to vaporize. Its boiling point is 363 degrees Fahrenheit

Juul max temperature : electronic_cigarette

The Juul does claim to have temperature control. But, when I was using one I did get dry hits every so often. So, I'll assume the temp limit i set higher than 410° F. I can only assume, but I would educated guess it's set to around 500° F.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Unmmgh. It's the right time for the facts to come out, it's like... People have moved on already.

Our ACCELERATED (probably artificially) news cycle needs to STOP. I mean how many people will even read this, let alone connected it to the earlier stuff? Oh well WP readers are usually smarter but STILLLLLllll.

I'm just in a bad mood, waiting for its passing so I can mix. Mixing in a bad mood is NOT good. It's like cooking angry. Not good.

Anna