Controversial suggestion: Lobelia Extract in E-Juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
IMPORTANT! THIS POST IS NOT FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN AN EXCHANGE OF THOUGHTS AND IDEAS. PLEASE DON'T ASSUME I'M ASKING PEOPLE TO PROCEED WITH AN UNTESTED ITEM.

Sorry, for some reason I felt compelled to start with that. Reason for this post? I dated a girl many years ago that was into herbal remedies, natural cures, and the like. She wanted me to quit smoking and suggested I try a folk remedy. Specifically, she told me to drink an 8 oz. glass of water with several drops of pure lobelia extract in it 3 or 4 times a day and that would help me kick the habit. I was daring back then so I gave it a try. The water definitely had a nicotine flavor to it, but it didn't get me to stop smoking.

I had forgotten about that incident until about 30 minutes ago. I wondered about the possible use of lobelia with vaping. Part of my reasoning was the possibility of it supplying a healthy nicotine taste. At the very least, I felt it warranted a little research. Here's what I've found so far...

Lobelia is an expectorant, diaphoretic and anti-asthmatic. Lobelia stimulates the relaxation response when stressed, decreasing adrenaline and opening the lungs and chest.

This tincture can be used as a local application for sprains, bruises, or skin diseases.

Some authorities attach great value to Lobelia Extract as an expectorant in bronchitis, others as a valuable counterirritant when combined with other ingredients in ointment form. Lobelia is sometimes given in convulsive and inflammatory disorders such as epilepsy, tetanus, diphtheria and tonsilitis. There is also difference of opinion with regard to Lobelia's narcotic properties. Where relaxation of the system is required, as, for instance, to subdue spasm, Lobelia is invaluable. Relaxation can be counteracted by the stimulating and tonic infusion of capsicum. Lobelia may be used as an enema.

Lobelia has been used as an expectorant for bronchitis. It has also been used to lessen the effects of epilepsy, diphtheria, and tonsillitis. The oil has been a valuable resource in treating tetanus. Lobelia is a sedative. Externally, an infusion of Lobelia can be used to treat ophthalmic disorders, and the tincture is used as a topical for sprains, bruises, or skin diseases. It has been suggested that Lobelia may reduce cravings and nervousness associated with smoking withdrawal.

Suggested Dosage and Use: 5-20 drops in water or juice 2-3 times daily or as needed

---

From Lobelia inflata (Wikipedia)

Cultivation and uses

Lobelia inflata has a long use as an entheogenic substance. The plant was widely used by the Penobscots and was widely used in the New England even before the time of Samuel Thomson who was credited as discovering it. Indian tobacco is still used today. The most potent part of the plant is the seed as it contains the most lobeline, the main ingredient which gives the plant its pyschoactive property. It is sold widely in online herbal shops, and is prized among entheogen users. Its taste is reminiscent of real tobacco, acrid and burning, and it promotes the heavier flow of saliva. A common misconception is that when smoked it yields a euphoric "high" like feeling, when it actually produces a more relaxant like effect. It can be used fresh, or dry.

Lobelia inflata is also used by herbalists for treatment of asthma, hence its other nickname, asthma weed. Some make ointments of the plant to use externally.

It is also said that plant material is burned as a natural bug repellent to keep away insects such as mosquitoes.

---

Why Lobelia is Used to Quit Smoking

The remarkably effective Nicocure® patch utilizes the extracts from Lobelia inflata in order to help people quit smoking. Lobelia is, so far, the most widely-accepted medicinal plant used to address the smoking addiction.

People cannot quit smoking not because of a lack of intention, but because of the inability to deal with intoxication, addiction, and withdrawal symptoms. Some of them resort to nicotine gums in which the smoking is avoided but the nicotine addiction continues.

The good news is that there is now an effective way to quit smoking along with stopping the nicotine addiction. The product is called the Nicocure® patch, and this utilizes natural ingredients, the extracts of Lobelia inflata.

The Lobelia inflata is commonly known as Indian tobacco and it is abundantly cultivated in the Eastern parts of the United States. This medicinal plant can also be grown in other areas. The alkaloids found in the Lobelia extract are called piperidine alkaloids, which components are primarily lobeline, lobelanidine, lobelanine, and minor amounts of norlobelanine (also called isolobelanine), lelobanidine, lovinine, isolobinine, lobinanidine and other Chelidonic acid.

But how does the Lobelia help to effectively quit smoking? There are two major reasons:

1. The Lobelia inflata has lobeline, an alkaloid. It is an expectorant that can clear the passages of the lungs. Once the lungs are clean, the taste of cigarette and smoke becomes disagreeable. The smoker who is trying to quit will have the same irritated reaction of non-smokers to the smell of smoke . The smell of smoke will make him or her dizzy or nauseous. This is why the lobeline is known as a smoking deterrent and a stimulant.

2. The Lobelia inflata has isolobelanine, another alkaloid. It is known as a relaxant. That is, it makes the central and autonomic nervous system loosen up and ease the tension. This effect is useful for treating people with asthma and bronchitis. And it is also effective for calming the nerves of people who suffer withdrawal symptoms when they quit smoking. Together with lobeline, the isolobelanine help people effectively stop nicotine addiction.

The Lobelia extract has been found to be useful in treating other illnesses. It has been recommended for people with spasmodic asthma, whooping cough, spasmodic croup, membranous croup, infantile convulsions, hysterical convulsions, diphtheria, tonsillitis, and pneumonia.

The Lobelia-rich Nicocure® patch is convenient to use. One patch can be placed in a part of the body which is relatively free of hair, such as the inner arm. This patch stays for twenty-four hours, and then replaced by another. Of course, the next patch must be placed in a different position to allow the skin to “breathe”.

While a person is trying to quit smoking, he must help clean his body by drinking lots of water. If he feels a craving for tobacco or cigarette smoke, he may turn to eating citrus fruits. This craving gradually decreases and eventually disappears.

---

Now, if lobelia is a good alternative for smoking, would it help in the transition to a pv? Note that it increases saliva production which may offset the fact that PG dries the mouth and throat and it is a relaxant.

Thoughts?

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
i came across this the time ruyan announced their new disposable Rapp. they use lobelia afaik in these. but i now nobody that tried one out already.

reading the whole wikipedia article makes me wonder if this will stay legal if its used in an e-cig or other drug delivery device. and at what mg of substance taken in we will start to vomit the whole day.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
i came across this the time ruyan announced their new disposable Rapp. they use lobelia afaik in these. but i now nobody that tried one out already.

reading the whole wikipedia article makes me wonder if this will stay legal if its used in an e-cig or other drug delivery device. and at what mg of substance taken in we will start to vomit the whole day.

The FDA didn't bash personal vaporizers because they had nicotine; well, provisionally. The used the nicotine aspect to fuel their "keep from kids" banter.

Nicotine is legal. So is using lobelia extract "and" lobelia is less restricted and easier to purchase.

As far as the possiblity for nausea, I know some people that feel nauseous from nicotine. Also, here's an excerpt from a study on lobelia:

Of the tincture, a teaspoonful given to an adult, will generally produce nausea, and sometimes vomiting. In certain instances, however, much larger doses have been given without producing any other effect than a flow of saliva.

Last edited:

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
Here's an interesting read:

Lobelia: is lobelia toxic?

It's a long read, but you need to at least cull through enough for the following summary to make sense:

Summary

In conclusion, no credible evidence of lobelia toxicity or any adverse effect more serious than vomiting is present in the medical literature of the past two centuries. Twentieth century literature that alleges lobelia toxicity provides no primary references or alleged least toxic dose. Modern allegations appear to be parroted uncritically from early nineteenth century sources. Nineteenth century literature presents only two cases of successful legal prosecution of herbalists in connection with deaths alleged to be due to lobelia. On the other hand, another case in North America and at least twelve court cases in England resulted in acquittal of the herbalist. Only a single case occurs in the literature – that of Ezra Lovett in 1808 – where details of alleged dose and supposed toxic symptoms appear. The practitioner (Samuel Thomson) was acquitted in that case, and, when given an opportunity in a later court case, presented witnesses rebutting the prosecution testimony in the trial. Much larger doses than the one alleged to have killed Thomson were subsequently used in medical practice with no ill-effects. The nineteenth-century literature is divided between medical practitioners who used lobelia regularly and in large doses, and those who used is hardly at all. The unanimous consensus of those who actually used it in practice is that it is a harmless agent without potential for toxicity beyond its nauseating effects. Supporting this view is the twentieth century use of lobelia hydrochloride in large intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intravenous doses through the 1970s, and the non-prescription use of oral doses of lobeline sulfate as recently as 1990.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
"another case in North America and at least twelve court cases in England resulted in acquittal of the herbalist"

whoh whoh whoh, 12 cases? Im not using ANY herbs ever!

You didn't read the full story. The reasons lobelia is listed as toxic are dubious and many agencies (including.. .."surprise".. ..the FDA) are basing their results and untested reports from the 19th century. Read the FULL story, then the individual comments in the summary will make sense.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
Hmm...

RUYAN AMERICA LAUNCHES E-MYSTICK® RAPP®

...the Ruyan RAPP E-Mystick, a patent applied for Respiratory Amplifier Personal and Portable, containing the recognized herbal remedy and dietary supplement lobelia and marketed exclusively to smoking adults as a tonic.

The RAPP E-Mystick is designed for smokers who want the look, feel and experience of a cigarette. It contains the active ingredient lobelia, also known as "Indian Tobacco", an herbal remedy/dietary supplement; well known and often described as a respiratory tonic. The product uses miniature technology and a convenient, personal, portable and disposable herbal vaporizer that produces an ingestible, pleasantly flavored mist. The product provides smokers quick and effective relief for a number of conditions commonly attributed to tobacco use. The product is neither a tobacco product nor a drug product and is classified as a dietary supplement. It is not intended to be used for smoking cessation. The product is formulated and assembled in the United States, using the finest and purest ingredients available domestically.

LOL, it's a disposable:

Ruyan America RAPP E-Mystick

Last edited:

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
I looked into lobelia about a year ago, long before I found out about PVs, and came up with some interesting information, but I'm afraid it's not positive in tone.

Memorial Sloan Kettering has a page on lobelia with additional information on its mechanism of action and recent laboratory study of adverse reactions, and references from the 1990s to the major 2002 Cochrane review on lobelia for smoking cessation. No 19th century references.

(The toxicity reference is from a 1999 book, no link available on the page. But honestly, looking at the pharmacology, the potential expressions of toxicity make sense.)
From MSK:

Clinical Summary
Derived from the aerial parts of the plant. Patients use this supplement for smoking cessation and to treat asthma and depression. The piperidine alkaloids (e.g. lobeline) are thought responsible for the activity of this botanical. Animal and in vitro studies show that lobeline crosses the blood-brain barrier, has similar activity to nicotine, and stimulates the release of dopamine and norepinephrine (5). At low doses lobelia has stimulant effects, but higher doses result in CNS depression. Significant toxicity has occurred following use including vomiting, seizures, cardiovascular collapse, and coma (2). Lobelia may have additive toxicity when combined with nicotine (12). Clinical studies evaluating lobelia for smoking cessation do not support its use (15). Patients should be warned not to use this supplement.
[...]
Mechanism of Action
Animal studies report that lobeline has anxiolytic and cardiovascular effects and increases cognitive performance. Lobelia has central stimulant activity, dilates bronchioles, and increases respiration rate at low doses, but higher doses cause CNS and respiratory depression (10). In rat and mouse models lobeline increases dopamine release from striatal synaptosomes, increases norepinephrine release from the hippocampus (5), and binds extensively to nicotinic receptors both centrally and peripherally (4). In vitro, lobeline redistributes dopamine pools in presynaptic vesicles and antagonizes their release following amphetamine stimulation. Lobeline can have both antagonistic and synergistic effects when combined with nicotine and does not induce receptor up-regulation as seen with nicotine (10). Intravenous administration of approximately 12 mcg/kg lobeline to healthy human subjects resulted in cough, apnea, prolonged inspiration and expiratory pause, the feeling of choking, and pressure in the throat and chest (9). Animal studies suggest that beta-amyrin palmitate stimulates the release of norepinephrine in the brain, possibly leading to an antidepressant effect (1).
[...]
Adverse Reactions
Reported: Nausea, vomiting, sweating, cough, dizziness, bradycardia, hypertension, seizures, respiratory stimulation (low doses) or depression (high doses).
Toxicity: Sinus arrhythmia, bundle branch block, diaphoresis, cardiovascular collapse, seizures, coma.
[...]
Herb-Drug Interactions
Nicotine: Lobelia may have additive effects when combined with nicotine-containing products, resulting in toxicity.
[...]
Stead LF, Hughes JR. Lobeline for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002;(2):CD000124.
Although 16 studies have been performed evaluating lobelia for smoking cessation, none met inclusion criteria set by Stead and Hughes. Trials evaluated only short-term efficacy (up to 14 days) of lobelia use with no long-term follow-up performed. Reduction in number of cigarettes, not abstinence, was the primary outcome for a majority of the studies reviewed. No evidence supports the hypothesis that lobelia is effective for smoking cessation.
(A just-published multi-center study of lobelia for smoking cessation came to the same conclusion.)

It's an interesting compound for laboratory study (I saw one recent abstract on lobeline's activity on drug-resistant breast cancer cells in vitro), but it would not have the effect we desire.

While it seems to act on somewhat similar receptors as nicotine, it has broader effects and individual response/sensitivity is uncertain.

On the traditional medicine side of things... the handful of herbalists I know do not choose to work with lobelia. The only application for which they've mentioned it, when I asked, was as an alternative to ipecac in an emergency. Some lobelia tea will apparently make you throw up anything bad you've swallowed.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
I looked into lobelia about a year ago, long before I found out about PVs, and came up with some interesting information, but I'm afraid it's not positive in tone.

Memorial Sloan Kettering has a page on lobelia with additional information on its mechanism of action and recent laboratory study of adverse reactions, and references from the 1990s to the major 2002 Cochrane review on lobelia for smoking cessation. No 19th century references.

(The toxicity reference is from a 1999 book, no link available on the page. But honestly, looking at the pharmacology, the potential expressions of toxicity make sense.)
From MSK:

(A just-published multi-center study of lobelia for smoking cessation came to the same conclusion.)

It's an interesting compound for laboratory study (I saw one recent abstract on lobeline's activity on drug-resistant breast cancer cells in vitro), but it would not have the effect we desire.

While it seems to act on somewhat similar receptors as nicotine, it has broader effects and individual response/sensitivity is uncertain.

On the traditional medicine side of things... the handful of herbalists I know do not choose to work with lobelia. The only application for which they've mentioned it, when I asked, was as an alternative to ipecac in an emergency. Some lobelia tea will apparently make you throw up anything bad you've swallowed.

Not disputing what you cited, and I greatly appreciate the time and effort in your reply, but most of that is based on large consumption, correct? Everyone agrees that nicotine is a harmful toxin and is fatal if even a couple of drops of pure nicotine gets on your skin. I'd argue the given equal doses of each, nicotine would kill you, lobelia would make you a great stand-in for Linda Blair. Yet nicotine is still used by a marority of pv users.

Still, your cautionary advice is noted.

Last edited:

Moriah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Bentonville, AR
The only time I've used lobelia was when I was iced in, in the Ozark Mountains, with pneumonia. No way to get to the doctor. Fortunately we had two herbal concoctions at the house made the previous year -- usnea lichen tinctured in vodka, and lobelia seeds tinctured in vinegar.

I was dosed with 1 shot of the usnea tincture every hour I was awake as an antibiotic -- it's very effective against staph and strep. Every two hours I was awake and at least twice during the night I just barely moistened my lips with the lobelia seed tincture and swallowed what got on my lips. It immediately induced a coughing fit, tears streaming down my cheeks, running nose, etc -- in other words, major expectorant -- so I would cough up as much as I could then go back to resting. They also gave me liberal doses of cough suppressant so I could actually rest -- otherwise I couldn't *stop* coughing.

Two weeks later I was better, the roads unthawed, and I went to the doctor. He confirmed by chest x-ray that I'd had pneumonia (we thought it was just really bad bronchitis at the time) and said that my lungs sounded very good. I still took a course of real antibiotics later, but ....

I wouldn't be all that interested in inhaling lobelia. I cough enough as it is. Then again, lobelia seeds tinctured in vinegar is *very* strong and designed to extract exactly the alkaloids that make you expectorate (and if you have more than the amount I had, it will make you hurl -- so it was also kept around as an emergency syrup of ipacec).

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
The only time I've used lobelia was when I was iced in, in the Ozark Mountains, with pneumonia. No way to get to the doctor. Fortunately we had two herbal concoctions at the house made the previous year -- usnea lichen tinctured in vodka, and lobelia seeds tinctured in vinegar.

I was dosed with 1 shot of the usnea tincture every hour I was awake as an antibiotic -- it's very effective against staph and strep. Every two hours I was awake and at least twice during the night I just barely moistened my lips with the lobelia seed tincture and swallowed what got on my lips. It immediately induced a coughing fit, tears streaming down my cheeks, running nose, etc -- in other words, major expectorant -- so I would cough up as much as I could then go back to resting. They also gave me liberal doses of cough suppressant so I could actually rest -- otherwise I couldn't *stop* coughing.

Two weeks later I was better, the roads unthawed, and I went to the doctor. He confirmed by chest x-ray that I'd had pneumonia (we thought it was just really bad bronchitis at the time) and said that my lungs sounded very good. I still took a course of real antibiotics later, but ....

I wouldn't be all that interested in inhaling lobelia. I cough enough as it is. Then again, lobelia seeds tinctured in vinegar is *very* strong and designed to extract exactly the alkaloids that make you expectorate (and if you have more than the amount I had, it will make you hurl -- so it was also kept around as an emergency syrup of ipacec).

I don't know how to respond to your comments. You used lobelia mixed with vinegar while you were sick (which I've never done). I don't dispute what you said. I just don't know if your circumstances made it cause a different reaction.

As mentioned in the OP, I ingested pure lobelia several times a day. I placed about 5 or 6 drops in an 8 oz glass of water which I drank 3 or 4 times within a 24 hour period over several days. I didn't feel nausea, experience coughing, or anything, actually. I was using it as a trial method for quitting smoking. It didn't worked in that capacity.

Thank you very much for your input. It does make me realize I need to dig deeper into this.

Moriah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Bentonville, AR
I don't know how to respond to your comments. You used lobelia mixed with vinegar while you were sick (which I've never done). I don't dispute what you said. I just don't know if your circumstances made it cause a different reaction.

As mentioned in the OP, I ingested pure lobelia several times a day. I placed about 5 or 6 drops in an 8 oz glass of water which I drank 3 or 4 times within a 24 hour period over several days. I didn't feel nausea, experience coughing, or anything, actually. I was using it as a trial method for quitting smoking. It didn't worked in that capacity.

Thank you very much for your input. It does make me realize I need to dig deeper into this.

The reaction I had was the one needed -- I needed something to help me cough up the junk in my lungs. It was certainly effective. Hence why I'm not dissing it as a poison or truly dangerous. It does have a medical use.

Did you use an OTC lobelia tincture? If so, it may have been very lacking in potency. Most store-bought tinctures have so little active ingredient in comparison to fresh tinctures that they are nearly worthless. And I wouldn't be surprised if unscrupulous vendors were just selling colored water/glycerin/etc.

botanical.com - A Modern Herbal | Lobelia

That describes the method of making the lobelia seed tincture in vinegar. However, when you look at the doses that are mentioned there, remember that is based on only tincturing the seed for 7 days. The herbalist I knew who makes it does not strain out the seeds before bottling -- so the longer it sat in the refrigerator, the stronger it got. It was at least a year old. Hence why it worked so well for what was needed in such a low dose.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Aha, thought I saw this thread... I should be asleep but I can't resist throwing my 2 cents in.

Anecdotally, I once met someone who claimed to have success using lobelia together with tobacco. IIRC the method was to roll a flower or two into a tobacco cigarette, and the lobelia alkaloids were said to potentiate the nicotine and have a much longer half-life. (Note that my recollection is particularly hazy on their opinion of dosage, and they also made note of the expectorant/emetic effects at higher doses, so do not trust me on this.) They claimed to be getting by on one such cigarette a day, down from some unspecified number prior.

I only had the opportunity to try it once, plucking a shriveled flower off a lobelia plant and wedging it in the end of a standard factory cigarette. It maybe did a little something to make the 'fix' last longer, but it could well have been placebo effect. Unfortunately lobelia immediately becomes deer food around here and I've never had another one survive long enough to bloom.

... of course, it came to mind as I went out on the porch to 'vape' (still not liking that term, but I better go with the flow to be understood) and realized the nicotine was just waking me up without whatever other component - the carbon monoxide? MAOIs? - made burning leaves a satisfying thing to do to wind down for bed. Obviously I should just get out of that habit ("chew some valerian root"), but maybe the right amount of lobelia would make a satisfying 'whole-herb' extract.

Not sure I'd expect China to have the last word on mixing it up, if so. Does it have much history of use there? I thought it was a New World kind of thing.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Note the difference in parts used - seeds, roots, and flowers can often have very different concentrations of substances, and sometimes they're even unique to one part of the plant. The fuss around kava kava / Piper methysticum comes to mind as one insidious example - traditional use of the root never caused much trouble, but indiscriminate whole-plant extracts in western supplement regimes ("take 2 daily") were an untested case, cost a few people their livers, and led to equally-indiscriminate bans in some places. [Another reason to hope Ruyan knows what they're doing...]

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al

Altmed

Jul 20, 2010
S. California
Please read...
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/P278_Nicotine_FAR_Final.pdf

This has GOT to be, by FAR the most hysterical bunch of BS I've ever read...

McD's and every household with ketchup beware!:danger:

by the time you get to page 14, THE DOCUMENT FINALLY STATES, "5. Relevant Issues 5.1 Safety assessment of nicotine
A detailed report on the safety of nicotine is provided at Attachment 2."

... I NEVER FOUND ATTACHMENT 2, LIKELY BECAUSE EITHER THEY DISCOVERED WHAT ANY HERBALIST COULD HAVE TOLD YOU, THAT DUH! THERE IS NICOTINE IN A LOT OF OUR FOODS! OR THAT THE SO-IMPLIED 'SCIENTIFIC DATA' IN THIS REFERENCE IS JUST AS PSYCHOTIC AS THE REST OF THE REFERENCED ABOVE DOCUMENT!
(sorry 'bout the caps guys.. long night & lost this after 2 hours of typing... grr.. shoulda backed it up! GRRR!!! My fault!)

Interesting data on page 15 though... That's a must-read for ANYONE!!!

Table 1. Nicotine content (μg/kg) in tomato, potato, eggplant, cauliflower and peppers
Food source
nicotine (μg/kg)
Castro and Monji,
Davis et. al., 1991 Domino et. al.,
Siegmund et. al.,
Potato not included Potato flesh:
15.3±1.7 (n=6)
Potato peel: 4.8±0.8
(n=6)
7.1±5.9 (n=11) Raw potato:
4.5±2.2 (n=6)
Processed potato not included not included not included French fries: 11.5
and 6.9
Tomato 6.0±2.4 (n=6) market tomato,
5.1±0.8 (n=3)
fresh tomato,
9.6±2.7 (n=6)
4.1±1.8 (n=8) 2.4±1.2 (n=7)
Unripe tomato 42.3; 14.2; 8.9; 25.3 not included not included 16.1; 8.2; 6.8; 8.5;
6.8; 8.7; 7.0
Processed tomato
products
peeled tomato, 52;
tomato paste, 11;
tomato sauce, 3.
not included not included tomato paste, 5.3;
tomato sauce, 4.5;
tomato ketchup, 7.3
Eggplant 100 n.d. (n=6) not included 1.9±0.7 (n=4)
Cauliflower not included 16.8±7.8 (n=6) 3.8±2.2 (n=16) not included
Green pepper 5.7±0.0 (n=2) n.d. (n=6) not detected 3.7; 5.8; 6.1
Yellow Pepper not included not included not included 9.0 (n=1)
Red pepper not included not included not included 5.9 (n=1)
Green Pepperoni not included not included not included 8.7; 6.3 (n=2)

And from page 16...
Table 2: Nicotine concentrations (μg/kg) in tea leaves (Siegmund et. al., 1999)
Sample nicotine (μg/kg) ww nicotine (μg/kg) dw
Earl Grey – black tea 381 404
Ceylon Orange Pekoe – black tea 164 174
Assam –black tea 1593 1696
Darjeeling – black tea 812 864
China Fancy Gunpowder – green tea 317 337
Earl Grey – green tea 358 380
Formosa Gunpowder – green tea 470 499
Temple of Heaven – green tea 337 353

Check the page if you can't read through the formatting issue here...

Basically, there's quite a bit of nicotine in foods & in the pesticides used on them... I guess these people are just now figuring that out...

And basically, if I buy a "food additive" in New Zealand, I can put 99.999% nicotine on my cornflakes, and in AU down under, I can use it to "treat animals" (DUH! Someone figured out nicotine has medicinal value... at least for animals! This has been known before "modern medicine" ever came around!)

Smokers are quitting in the US, but cancer rates are sky high... higher than before and darn it if the cosmetic, food or oil or any other industry is going to take it on!

Time to take off the gloves people!

Write your congressmen & senators, write the president!

If nicotine becomes over-regulated, this is going to be like prohibition was all over again & people are going to get hurt trying to make their own in garages & other unsanitary places with food products!

Have you ever seen the museums where "Hooch" was contaminated with lead?

This will be a similar situation...

I've already seen some well... interesting ideas about handling extremely toxic , potentially deadly doses of nic on some boards...

If this becomes banned, the cig tax it too high, people will do what they want to do when there is ridiculous regulations put upon them.. it WILL go black market, and fast!

Also, there is a reference on Wikipedia RE ... for use of "nicotine withdrawals".

This should be interesting... If they outlaw cigarettes, then any food with nicotine in it, then try to go after eCigs, they're going to have to go through the food lobby, thus references in the article omitting "food additives" from the "toxic nicotine"! Boo! Scary huh!

Regulations are being made are purely on scare tactics! The areas where smokers have quit have seen higher, not lower cancer rates, so these people seem to feel they need to take it out on someone!

This is psycho communism at its worst... And I thought I might like to go to New Zealand or Australia... Hmmm... Guess not!

Where in God's green earth do these idiots come from anyhow?

I've ye to see a SINGLE study that actually shows a link between even smoking & cancer, or that shows nicotine is addictive or a "strong psychotropic drug!

I've also yet to see a single study that excludes those who have been exposed to carcinogens, or worse, exposed to carcinogenic additives in cigarettes!

IF nicotine is so darned "addictive, psychotropic", and whatever babble, then EVERY grocery store, farmer's market, fruit stand, school, etc. that sells tea or anything in the brassica or nightshade families ought to be paying for all these studies.. Oh, and worse, those food additive companies... but then New Zealand seems to think nicotine as a food additive and AU thinks to use it on nimals is perfectly OK.. but don't people eat those animals?

All those years we were taught to "eat your veggies" down the tubes... guess Solient Green might just become a reality in New Zealand? Let's NOT let it take hold here!

Oh, guess we can't eat OR breathe!
:party::evil::facepalm::(

I guess we just have to take ... or smoke ........ (as was stated by a researcher on Wikipedia), starve & die...

Ridiculous BS!

-Altmed

Have companies label their stuff as properly as possible, then let US decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread