Converting a Z-Atty Pro to a Dual coil system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
Pontotoc MS
Hello,

To start I know some of the "Experts" will say im crazy for considering to do this to such an expensive mod but i think
it will work and just want some opinions.. and some suggestions of potential problems that would result from doing
this modification.

I was lucky enough to get a great deal in the classified section on a zen z-atty pro and i was wondering if something
was possible.. Im considering drilling a secondary wick hole in the top of the atty and putting a second SS wick and coil
on it to make it a dual coil rebuildable atomizer.

Ive see one video showing someone basically wrapping a double coil around a single wick but that logic just doesnt compute
to me.. For the idea to work and truly be a dual coil setup you need to wicks..

Im pretty confident that i can get around 1.3-1.5 ohms on my wick.. My logic is if i am able to set up
2 of these coils on 2 wicks i could vape easily at 6 volts and double vapor production.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jaime

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Well, you'd need to make sure your PV supports the amps.

Also, IDK about that Z-Atty. Send me one and I'll check into it :p ;) :D...

Basically, when you double a wire, you 1/2 the resistance. You can use the same connections (ground and +) but you need enough space for the two wicks. So you could wind two coils that end up being 3.0 ohms each and have a 1.5 ohm Dual-Coil Dual-Wick setup... as an example.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
The other way is to wind two 1.5 ohm coils in series (end to end) and end up with a 3.0 ohm DC...basically a 3 ohm coil using two wick paths.

Either way....

Make sure you use a multi-meter and double check the end result for shorts and such. If the two separate coils can touch each other you're not getting what you want. Also make sure you can't short positive to ground somehow or get that resistance too low if a coil breaks.

Use safe devices and follow battery/APV safety guidelines too.

Last edited:

jcwest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
Pontotoc MS
Ill be using it on a provari as far as space.. im pretty confident that there will be room to drill a secondary wick hole and add the second wick.. You mentioned building the coils in series.. could you do this..

Positive terminal > wrapping a 1.5 ohm coil around the first wick.. Then going off that wick to rolling a 1.5 ohm coil around the second wick.. Then finishing off the second wick to the ground..

Would that be in series?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Yes...that would be in series. And the ohms for each coil would sum. Danger of a nasty short if they are laid side-by-side rather than end-to-end though. Just a thought. I wouldn't want the two in close proximity if it were me. So then you have to figure out how to span the gap....

You may want to put this in the modder's section where they have more experience in this than the general group. They've done this stuff 50 ways from Sunday.

jduncan

Jun 19, 2010
Richmond, Va
I've thought about this and the way I see it, there are a few things that need to be sorted out;

First, power. The ProV offers 3.5A max. That means at 6v you can get up to 21w (3.5A x 6v). Thats 10.5w per coil; a sweet-spot for some, underpowered for others. To get that max output will require two precice coils with exact resistance; ~3.4ohm each. (6v / 1.7ohm = 3.5A). You'll have no margin for hot-spots or coil break-in; the slightest fart of those coils will cause the ProV to error. (I know, some people say "8w/coil is more than enough, crazy!" More power to 'em, I say.) Gennies like power --the SS wick/body can act as a heat-sink of sorts.

Second, airflow. Gennies really come alive with substantial airflow directly across the coil, expecially important at higher power levels. Unless you plan on modifying your topcap, you'll end up with an airhole thats centered between both coils, not directly in front of either; leaving you with a monster throat hit, and likely avarage/below average vapor production as the coils will be starved for air. The solution could be a second air hole for the other wick, but you'll need another top cap if you ever want to go back to single-coil and you'll need to experiment with sizing. What that does to airflow around and through the top cap would take fluid dynamics engineering to figure out. (I know just enough to know I dont know squat)

I would love to give it a try, but I dont have a spare gennie to commit to the cause. To the OP, I would set up the Z-atty the way it comes and use it for a little while before you decide to mod (maybe remove the wick insulator for better wicking). My single-coil DIDs (on a ProV V2) outperform any dual-coil carto at any setting by miles.

ETA: rwelscher has some experience with dual-coil gennies (and is a Jedi on the topic in general). Hopefully he sees this thread and chimes in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread