Converting family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!
I recently quit analogs two days ago. I tried the Blu and njoy disposables a few months ago and absolutely hated them, which initially distracted me back to analogs. I am currently 22, and had smoked analogs since I was 17. I did my research and customized my whole kit from battery to drip tip, and I am so proud of it! I show it off everywhere...lol. My mom is 40 and she has smoked for 20+ years, which kind of fed into my initial smoking (easy access). I invited her to the vape store with me and explained to her all the benefits of vaping, yet she is reluctant to even try mine. I finally got her to vape some of my Caramel cookie juice and she hated it. I explained to her how there is a wide availability of flavors and strengths, yet she is unwilling to budge. My mom means the WORLD to me, and I would hate to witness the wide array of health problems that will come due to her smoking analogs. Anyone have a similar situation? Any advice is welcomed.

jclifford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
salem nh
I have 30+ people onto e-cigs. The secret is to find a flavor they like, there has to be something. Then make sure the nic is high enough to eliminate the "need" for an analog. Several people have continued to use analogs until we upped the nic. I talk about all the nasty chemicals in analogs that are non-existent in e-cigs. Sure, you are still addicted to nicotine, but that is not an issue, that can be toned down in time and at least you will not stink!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It sounds like she doesn't want to quit smoking, simple as that.

Smoking can have a psychological hold on us and deceives us into a weird sense of security when we smoke. This is why under times of stress smokers smoke more frequently, pratically chain smoking. To think that she might be without that false sense of security by giving up smoking, she is presently unwilling to even consider vaping as an alternative way to feed her nicotine addiction. One generally doesn't just "quit smoking" by chance. They have to be ready and willing to say goodby to an "old friend".

I definitely would not hassle her to try vaping if she is not willing. It will likely be met with resistance. If and when she is ready to try it, be there for her.

Vaping e-cigarettes CAN offer the best solution to quit cigarettes. It can work where the alternatives fail. Rubbing a nicotine patch will not release more nicotine into your system when you get a cigarette craving; but vaping more will provide more nicotine to withstand that craving.

Chewing more nicotine gum to relieve a cigarette craving likely will only give you a headache, an upset stomach, or the hiccups.

The hand to mouth ritual of smoking is replicated with vaping an e-cig. And e-cig vapor is a similar experience to cigarette smoke when inhaled.

Good luck with your own vaping experience, and have patience for your mother. Perhaps by seeing positive results from yourself she will eventually come around.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I know that I shouldn't pressure her into it, as that could further deter her from even trying it ever again. I am loving my new lease on life, and want to share it with as many people as I can. I already have 2 of my friends vaping away and they love it as well. She has always been stubborn haha. Maybe in time she will realize the benefits of vaping and make the switch. Until then I guess all I can do is focus on my own accomplishments

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
I agree with bad,

also, as a mom, maybe a lighter approch might work as well. Hey mom, I got this new flavor try it see if you think it taste like ......

also, seeing you enjoying your vape and saving some dough will maybe inspire her as well.

Do you have a large pv? women like small and prettier at least at first

I'm having the same problem with my hubby. He will at least try it, and since it isn't banned at his work place, he'll take one to work with him and use it some but he says he just doesn't want to quit smoking. Even though I have quit and even his mother, who has been smoking for like 60 years, has quit, he still resists. All I can tell you is be patient, don't try to push because they'll just push back. When there is an opportunity to talk about vaping, take it, but not in a "preaching" way. Just talk about how much better you feel, you can talk about all the different flavors you're trying, things like that. I already have one nephew who is now vaping because of me, I have one niece that is going to start vaping as soon as she can afford to get a start up kit, and my sister is going to quit cigs as soon as she can afford it also. So just be patient, she'll come around.

~Susiejo

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with bad,

also, as a mom, maybe a lighter approch might work as well. Hey mom, I got this new flavor try it see if you think it taste like ......

also, seeing you enjoying your vape and saving some dough will maybe inspire her as well.

Do you have a large pv? women like small and prettier at least at first

i'm currently vaping with an eGo 450mAh with a 2.0ml vivi nova tank. It is on the smaller side compared to some set ups i've seen. I have a super girly pink tank and a zebra patterned drip tip. She ended up going to the vape store with me, but she just sat on the sidelines. I think smoking is her saftey net, just as Bad said. She is also stationed in Germany as my stepfather is military, so the european atmosphere probably doesn't help her either. I was trying to convert her while she was here visiting for my graduation but no luck. I talk to her everyday so maybe I can just slip in little comments during our conversations like: "Got a new cute tank today", or "tried this really good flavor". Hopefully one day she will see the benefits. I've already noticed subtle changes and it's only been two days!

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
I'm in a similar boat. I DID watch both my mother and father die from the effects of cigarettes (My mother first from COPD and my father from a lung infection caused by a common bug that is all aorund us, all of the time. His lungs were so compromised and damaged that he could not fight off the infection.)

Cigarettes were considered quite "glamorous" when my parents were young.
As a result, cigarettes were around my brothers and I constantly. My older brother hates them, and would not go near one with a 10 foot pole. My younger brother and I, however, got hooked.

Since I started vaping, I have 'suggested' to both my brother and his wife in several different ways how vaping has worked for me so relatively easily compared to the many other ways I tried to quit, and failed, in the past. He is a tough customer, and like I did, has every rebuttal and response to suggestions to quit in the book. (He could write his OWN book.)

I will keep working on him.

My suggestion is to tell your mom my story, for one. There are many others here. Keep working on her, little by little. I wouldn't over-do it though, as you may put her off of the idea completely. Ler her know that when she feels like giving her lungs a break, or when she feels ready to quit, there is an alternative that really seems to work for many people like no other. Maybe a gift of an ecig kit down the road a piece for a special occasion? (The key here is likely the type of ecig and a juice that she would like enough to substitute for cigarettes.

Good luck with this. It can be very frustrating when you feel that you have 'seen the light' but can't quite convince others. And let us know how you fare.....

Another thing I did was at our last family get together, I brought all 3 of my ecigs with me with different flavors in each. My niece ended up keeping one of them with her most of the day. At one point she actually realized that it had been several hours since she had had a cig. She really seemed to like the blueberry juice that I had in that tank. Now she wants one.

~Susiejo

candik

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Central, New Jersey
Some people don't like change. Even when it's for their good. But especially if it's going to mean changing something that cuts into their comfort zone. Sounds like she's just gonna do it when she get's good and ready to do it and not a minute before. Since she's going to be overseas for the duration of their PCS there, you're gonna be a little limited in what you can do. I lived in Germany for about 5 years several years ago. It was no more or less conducive to smoking than anywhere else was. One thing I do remember though,,, cigarettes were a rationed item. Being a pad or less smoker, I didn't have any issues with running out or short on rations but I knew lots of people did. If cigarettes are still rationed and she (and/or your Dad), are heavier smokers, (more than 2 pad each), you might be able to use that as a selling point to vaping? I'd just casually ask about cigarette rationing and the consistent availability of the brand they prefer and then I'd let it drop. Later I'd maybe say (in an off hand way!) how nice it is to be able to get something that didn't have to be accounted for on a ration card or how nice it is to be able to get the e juice you want when you want it. Maybe it'll help plant the seed.

Last edited:

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
Some people don't like change. Even when it's for their good. But especially if it's going to mean changing something that cuts into their comfort zone. Sounds like she's just gonna do it when she get's good and ready to do it and not a minute before. Since she's going to be overseas for the duration of their PCS there, you're gonna be a little limited in what you can do. I lived in Germany for about 5 years several years ago. It was no more or less conducive to smoking than anywhere else was. One thing I do remember though,,, cigarettes were a rationed item. Being a pad or less smoker, I didn't have any issues with running out or short on rations but I knew lots of people did. If cigarettes are still rationed and she (and/or your Dad), are heavier smokers, (more than 2 pad each), you might be able to use that as a selling point to vaping? I'd just casually ask about cigarette rationing and the consistent availability of the brand they prefer and then I'd let it drop. Later I'd maybe say (in an off hand way!) how nice it is to be able to get something that didn't have to be accounted for on a ration card or how nice it is to be able to get the e juice you want when you want it. Maybe it'll help plant the seed.

Are you sure you went to Germany? They have cigarette vending machines on street corners (I first visited 25years ago and last visited 1 month ago and have had a German partner for 9 years) in every city I have been to. No way could Germany be described as having cigarettes rationed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread