Copper creek newb -- house gumming up cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarhead

Aug 12, 2011
Clearwater, FL
I got my first order from Copper Creek this week and I love House Blend! It's easily my favorite juice so far, after trying 8 or 10 thousand different vendors. I just placed another order for moar!!!

Anyways, I loaded it into a Vision V2 eGo clearo (stardust, or whatever) and it was great. After less than a day of refilling it (I'm mostly a chain vaper), the juice started getting thick & black in the clearo tank. It becomes really viscous like the carto is cooking it somehow. It's a 60/40 PG/VG mix.

In the bottle, the color stays golden, but in the tank it's really thick, turning black and the carto started tasting burned.
I now have it in a 2.5ml eGo carto tank with a self-punched Boge SR carto in the tank. It's been working really well so far, but when I look in the carto the polyfill is starting to look black & gunky.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal for this juice? I hope not, because I don't want my new favorite juice gunking up my cartos this quickly!

I should note that I didn't let it steep at all, I did transfer the juice into a plastic bottle and I always shake well before I fill my cartos.

scarhead

Aug 12, 2011
Clearwater, FL
20120801_111647.jpg
Here's a pic

efirdj

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Clover, SC
Most people that use darker juices will have the coils gunk up faster than lighter colored juices. I vape House almost non stop in CE2 Fluxos. I can generally get about 6 mls out of it before it needs to be cleaned. And the House I have been using was mixed in Feb, so its REALLY dark. I have noticed that once Im on that last fill up, the gunk does steep a darker color back into the liquid, which does affect the taste a bit, but its not enough for me to dump out the remaining juice.

Hope this helps.

efirdj

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Clover, SC
I dont know how much of this will apply to yours, but here is how I do it.

It sounds tedious, but it really isnt....

Remove the outer tube. Use hot water to rinse off the wicks and coils. I twist the wicks so the come apart just a little (not enough to seperate them). That just allows a little more to be rinsed out of them. Set them aside until they dry. Blow any excess water out of the center tube. Then do a dry burn. 5 sec hot, off for 3 sec, 5 sec hot, 3 sec off, and so on, for.... I think I do like 6 or 7 cycles. Once all of the gunk has ashed over, I let the coil cool off for a few minutes. Then, I use a paper clip with a very small section of the end bent in a 90 degree angle to GENTLY wipe off the ash. I used to use pipe cleaners, but then my daughter got "artsy" with them all. Try to angle the bent end to the underside of the coil to remove any build up that you cant reach from the top. Once its all been brushed off (.....Brushed...hm... A small soft bristled paint brush would probably work to. I may have to try that.) tap the burn cup gently against a hard flat surface to dislodge all of the ashes. Then I rinse them again using a very narrow stream of hot water directly into the burn cup. Let them dry again, and voila. Instant nearly new carto. Just make sure you have gotten out ALL of the ash. If you miss the smallest little piece, it will ruin the flavor of the juice for at least half the carto.

I usually dont throw them away until I break a wick. I tend to average a month, sometimes two, out of each carto. And as I mentioned, House is pretty hard on coils. Its nice to have a carto where the coils will outlast the wicks.

scarhead

Aug 12, 2011
Clearwater, FL
Just saw the thread. Sorry. Looks like you two have it all under control, so I will get back to mixing.

Welcome to the CC forum scarhead, scary dog and all.

Thanks! She's only scary to yard invaders. @18lbs she likes to murder possums twice her size!

Your e-liquid is awesome by the way! I think my search may be over for an all day vape!
Hopefully this cleaning technique works! I was just surprised upon my first try because I've never seen a juice transform like the house blend did. It went from amazing to nasty quickly...it just looks like I'll have to change my cartos more often!

efirdj

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Clover, SC
awesome, thanks man!!
Please keep in mind, the CE2 Fluxos I use have a fiberglass wick that will not burn. I dont know anything about clearos, but if they use a cotton, or polyfil wicking material, you can NOT dry burn them.

Thanks! She's only scary to yard invaders. @18lbs she likes to murder possums twice her size!

Your e-liquid is awesome by the way! I think my search may be over for an all day vape!
Hopefully this cleaning technique works! I was just surprised upon my first try because I've never seen a juice transform like the house blend did. It went from amazing to nasty quickly...it just looks like I'll have to change my cartos more often!
Do you use a VV or VW device? If you bring the power through the coil down just a bit, it will help with controlling that burnt flavor.

You're also welcome to come join in over on the chit-chat thread. It's filled with pet lovers. And a few nuts.
I dont know what she's talking about. Lies. All lies.

efirdj

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Clover, SC
I was actually wondering about this myself, I haven't ordered yet and I was wondering of they offer a higher pg ratio that won't gunk cartos but still maintain great flavor?
For the better part of a year, I was strictly a 40/60 user. Then FlyingV had a special on a jug of 60/40 House. Naturally, I jumped all over it just because it was House. I just went back to a 40/60 yesterday. The 60/40 is now my preference. It is much easier on the coils, and has a bit more flavor, and a slightly stronger TH. It will still gunk up a carto, but not as quickly or as severely as the 40/60.

Puffythegun

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2012
Georgia
Nova tanks, Vision stones and other ceramic clearos get cleaned in Tito's vodka then dry burned to get rid of the coil build up till its like new. Plain carto's get tossed after 3 days.
I use V's 60/40 house blend. Oddly the 120ml I recently got was very dark when it arrived. I'm used to it being golden for a while. HB evolves over time in a 120. The flavor is that of a 30 day old mix from day 1. But it's still pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread