Not open for further replies.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA

Unprotected CR2 Batteries Blow up the Detonator / Burn Leg

Was just told about this incident wherein a vaper had stacked, unprotected batteries in a mod and there was an explosion. I've always known about the dangers of cheap batteries, and with increased LOADS on the batteries the danger increases as well. Buying batteries on the cheap, and on Ebay had me shrugging thinking that would be the LAST thing I would do. Obviously stacking only adds to the potential for problems. I'm curious what CC Posse thinks about this, what defines a "protected" battery. I have seen many listed on sites that state "unprotected" but have never seen one that specifically states "protected". My Provari uses AW, High Drain batteries which I assume are protected, and I know the VV has built in protections as well (listed below), but where does the Posse stand on this ?

The ProVape-1 Version 2.1 has evolved into the most reliable electronic cigarette in the world!
    new.gif
    Features:

stopwatch.jpg
    16 Second Safety Cutoff
    - If the button is held down for 16 seconds or longer the ProVape-1 will shut itself off, until the button is released. Protects you and the device from situations where it’s in your bag or pocket and something were to accidentally activate the switch without you knowing. This important safety feature is very valuable in protecting you and preventing a fire hazard.

Fact: If you hold the button down on a continuous device for 2 ½ - 3 minutes, the atomizer can reach over 325 degrees. This can create a fire hazard or burn you. With the safety cutoff protection built into the ProVape-1 you no longer have to worry about a potentially dangerous fire hazard.

short.jpg
    Short Circuit Protection
    - This protects the ProVape-1 against shorted atomizers/cartomizers.

Fact: A shorted atomizer/cartomizer and an unprotected battery can be a very dangerous combination. This situation can cause the battery to drain faster than it is rated for, and can cause a failure/explosion.

batt2.jpg
    Reverse Battery Protection
    - Protects against reverse battery installation.

Fact: Some electronic cigarettes do not protect themselves from a backwards battery. If you put the battery in upside-down and attempt to use the unit, you will fry it.

thermal.jpg
    Thermal Monitoring System
    - Shuts the device off if it detects a high temperature condition. Once the device cools off, it will resume normal operation.

Fact: Most electronic cigarettes lack this protection.

amperage.jpg
    Amperage Limiting
    - The ProVape-1 will monitor and shut itself off if it detects any excessive over-current conditions.

Fact: Many of the dangers associated with electronic cigarettes can be eliminated by monitoring the amount of energy the cigarette is using. Explosions and fires happen when too much battery power is consumed too quickly. The Provape-1 protects you from this by shutting down if it detects too much power draw.

24_7_icon.jpg
    Fail Safe Monitoring Circuit - This special circuitry will monitor your device 24/7 for any abnormal conditions. If it senses something is wrong with its systems, the Provape-1 will shut down. Redundant safeties are built into the device so that no single point failure will cause an unsafe condition on the ProVape.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    sorry but you have to be an idiot to use unprotected batts...
    let alone stack them...I wonder if he still thinks saving a couple of
    bucks was worth it??...:?:

It never fails to amaze me that people spend a 100-200 bucks on a
    mod then won't spend the extra for IMR safe chemistry batts..

I have to agree with that. Also, I have to say that vaping for almost 2 years, I really hadn't experimented much beyond the EGO realm that entire time. Hell, I don't even know if EGO batteries are protected or not, and I suspect many others as well. God I hope the government doesn't get involved and regulate batteries, but how would one know that their batteries ARE protected ??

I don't see anything specifically stating my AW batts are protected, but I assume they are.

Bamrz

Z.A.P.T. Member*
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2010
    PA, near Philly
    I only use AW IMR batteries. They are not protected. HOWEVER, they use a "safer chemistry". They can still vent when shorted or abused, but not with flame. There will most likely be extreme heat if that happens, but no flame.

Everyone that uses big battery mods should have a voltmeter. Always check your batteries when they come off the charger. They should read no higher than 4.25v.

Do not put batteries fresh off the charger right into your mod. From stories I've read, these are the ones that have exploded.

Don't use batteries that constantly overcharge.

Don't use batteries that have the plastic cover torn - this is especially true if you are using protected batteries! The protection circuit runs up the side of the battery under the plastic cover, and could be compromised by a tear in the wrong place.

Only buy your batteries from a trusted vendor. There are fakes out there, and the counterfeiters are very good at copying them.

Get the best charger you can afford. Preferably one that shuts off when the battery is fully charged.

Never charge your batteries unattended or overnight. Your charger (even the good ones) can fail, with disastrous results.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread