The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

"Cost of running site" banner

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Help' started by mikepetro, Dec 27, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mikepetro

mikepetro Vape Geek Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If I am a supporting member why do I get this banner?

upload_2017-12-27_10-19-13.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    On mine in chrome win10 too. It's pretty discrete so doesn't bother me. Would if it was red.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Maybe it is one of the Cookies/Clear Cache/Log Out - Log In things?

Because I haven't seen it on Win7 IE11.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Mine is gone now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    You have an ad blocker that's active. Whitelist ECF and it'll go away. (It shows even if you're a supporting member and running an ad blocker.)

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. mikepetro

Supporting member
    First, Thank you, I appreciate knowing the answer.

So I guess "Supporting Members" only get an "Ad-Free Experience" if they drop their ad-blocker and leave themselves vulnerable to ads on this site.

Just being honest here, requiring me to "loosen" my security to prevent banners just somehow feels wrong. If that be my choice, I will have to live with the banner, uBlock stays.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I thought it was just an oversight and eventually would disappear for supporting members. No reference to ad blockers in the message, so I ignored it. Probably not what the message was meant to achieve.

It would make sense if the message referred to ad blockers instead of telling us to become a supporting member. My preference would be a pop up screen upon logging in that asks users to turn their ad blocker off with an opt out choice. That would work for all members should it be difficult to make a conditional message for supporting members.

In addition, telling supporting members that the site is paid for by ads after we have helped (in some small way) pay for the site isn't a good way to encourage support. The phrase "and member support" should be added to the first sentence, an easy fix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Burnie

Burnie The Bug Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    I should not have to see this
    upload_2017-12-27_20-56-29.png
    This IS an AD asking you to become a supporting member.

I am a Supporting Member, which is what you are asking for, and I am not turning off my ublock. This banner across the top should be turned OFF for supporting members, PERIOD. JMHO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mikepetro

Supporting member
    It is small, and not obnoxious. It reminds me of the old nag screens on shareware, except in this case I paid the registration.

It just feels like a kick in the pants to be asked on every screen to do something, both of which I already did.

"Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member"

If you cant code it to only show to non-supporters, at least consider rewording it. (or get better coders)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1