Cotton Bacon or Cotton Squares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It depends... When a 50/50 vaper I'd use Muji and it vaped like crazy. Not so good with more dense liquids. You have to mind how you cut it so the fibers are aligned with the coil. Cotton bacon once you get the hang of it, and I had a rough start, wicks a little better more dense juices like 70/30. I'd buy a pack of each and try. There's not a definite wick for everyone.
I find that when chain vaping, cotton bacon keeps up a little better than muji.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK which is better I used cotton a very short time, before going to rayon.

If you are pretty happy with your wicking and it's performance, hey, stay with what you have, or if you want to experiment by all means do that too, and you can even include rayon, if you so desire. I also think there are probably folks who use more than one material, depending on what they want out of it, so I guess my general advice is try it but start small in the beginning and etc.

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I prefer the Koh Gen Do squares to cotton bacon. It keeps up with my chain vaping just fine, but I do tend to use higher PG (around 40%) juices so I can't make any claims about how cottons compare when using high VG. I have the impression that more people prefer squares than cotton bacon, but I don't have any numbers to back that up.

I think your best bet is to take the recommendation above. A pack of cotton bacon isn't that expensive, so try it out and see if it has anything to offer you. It's probably one of the many, many things about vaping that doesn't have a better or worse, just a whatever happens to suit you best.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just trying to decide if I should switch to cotton bacon or stay with the squares. Looking to see what the people here think. What is good and what is bad about both choices. Thanks to all.
Heath54
:toast:

Here's my Think'n...

A Big Package of Muji Cotton Pads costs about 8 Bucks. A (smaller) Bag of Cotton Bacon costs about the same.

When I Smoked, I went thru 16 Bucks worth of Cigarettes in Less than 3 Days. Every 3 Days. So I say why not Splurge and get Both the Pad and the Cotton Bacon?

I, myself, like the Muji Cotton Pads. Because it is Dead Simple to use. But I'm not really a Cotton Connoisseur.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio

The Vaped Crusader

Jul 7, 2018
Always been a cotton square sort of man but then again I have always been just square . . . without the cotton :D. I have not shied away from Muji yet and I toke on them make-up pads like it was a new religion.

What I would do is carve out some wooden pieces so they fit the coils just right and hollow them out then vape that stuff like a straw. I am sure some cedar, oak or some kind of endangered tree species could be cut down for a good vape or two. Cause if I vape, something living has to sacrifice its life for my toke! Environmentalist must be angered and the vegans must be enraged in order for me to be content with my cloud chucking.

WHY!? Cause America dammit!!! :mad:

Last edited:

ichimaru

Moved On
Aug 12, 2018
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
What is the difference? Now I'm using 2.0.
Noticeably faster wicking so the juice just keeps on flowing faster into the coils for a more consistent flavor production, and the ability to hold more juice, noticeably cleaner taste (i.e. not "cottony") and virtually no break in time (i.e. just a couple of drags for break in). Definitely worth the small price increase IMO, but one thing I also noticed was the wicks can more easily get burned in half at the center of the coils, a ploblem that easily can be fixed by squeezing the cotton a bit more forcefully than you normally would as you roll it into a sausage between the palms of your hands whilst doing everything else the same as or very similar to the part between 2:27 and 3:47 in the video linked below.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Noticeably faster wicking so the juice just keeps on flowing faster into the coils for a more consistent flavor production, and the ability to hold more juice, noticeably cleaner taste (i.e. not "cottony") and virtually no break in time (i.e. just a couple of drags for break in). Definitely worth the small price increase IMO, but one thing I also noticed was the wicks can more easily get burned in half at the center of the coils, a ploblem that easily can be fixed by squeezing the cotton a bit more forcefully than you normally would as you roll it into a sausage between the palms of your hands whilst doing everything else the same as or very similar to the part between 2:27 and 3:47 in the video linked below.

Yes! I saw that video, and it didn't work for me. If I roll it, lumps start to show and get caught in the coil. One spanish reviewer said to handle it the least possible, and that's working much better. Just separate some strands, roll the tip and thread through, pulling until it gets caught. Then, with the tip of my tweezers I untangle both sides to eliminate any lumps. I wicked my Zeus a week ago and it's keeping up with chain vaping. Great flavor and vapor and almost the same wattage. Until now it's the best tactic for me. Still I'm going to give Prime a try!

Reactions: stols001

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Yes! I saw that video, and it didn't work for me. If I roll it, lumps start to show and get caught in the coil. One spanish reviewer said to handle it the least possible, and that's working much better. Just separate some strands, roll the tip and thread through, pulling until it gets caught. Then, with the tip of my tweezers I untangle both sides to eliminate any lumps. I wicked my Zeus a week ago and it's keeping up with chain vaping. Great flavor and vapor and almost the same wattage. Until now it's the best tactic for me. Still I'm going to give Prime a try!
The rolling it into a sausage part only comes after you already have "combed", so to speak, out all the knots and all the fluffs that are are sticking out. Try using your fingertips in such a fashion that the effect will be something in between gently scrubbing and just rubbing, carefully without pulling on the fibers too much in the process or else the piece might unexpectedly get pulled in half as a result from this. The more gently and the longer you keep repeating this, the thinner the wick becomes as you just keep stretching it out more, aligning all the fibers. To get a uniform thickness along the entire length, just stop rubbing the part(s) that is/are already thin enough, and continue to rub the part(s) that need(s) further thinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread