Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Well... It's cotton.

I went to a B&M to pick up some Ni200 wire for my incoming TC mod. They ended up giving me a bunch of the wire for free so I said I had to buy something... So I thought I would buy some cotton, 'Specifically formulated for vaping.' The package came out to $6.40 which is almost double what I pay for my organic cotton balls.

sXPF4a2.jpg

Within the package is 10 strips of cotton. It's apparently 100% U.S. Cotton taken through a 'proprietary purification process' within a clean room environment.

The dosage recommendations on the back say to use 1/4 of on strip, making for 40 servings. However, with my 3mm ID coils, I split 1 strip in half, then split that half in half again and used 2/3 of that quarter strip for my dual coils. Thus, I should be able to get at most 60 rewicks with this package for dual coil and 120 for single coil. That's actually pretty good. I'm surprised. Using 1/4 of 1 normal strip is way too much cotton.

This is the amount I used:
dvcBaUy.jpg

From left to right: Full Strip - Half Strip - Quarter Strip - 1/3 of 1/4 strip (perfect for one coil with 3mm ID if you trim a little)

I used it in my Magma with dual coils, 28g, 8 wraps on a 3mm ID for 0.9 Ohms. I do feel that this had considerably less break-in time than my normal organic cotton balls. However, once broken in the flavor seems to be exactly the same.

Longevity? I can't speak on this because I've only had it in my build for an hour or so. However, the B&M owner spoke of a customer who had been using the same piece of wick for a month... So I have high hopes. Normally, I rewick every day because I can't stand the flavor of wicks after two days.

Overall? On a normal day, I would have never purchased this stuff. But since I had to purchase something, and I was running low on cotton, I am glad I picked this up.

To the mods, because this was a review of cotton I didn't know where to put it. I apologize if this is the wrong place!

Vape Happy,
Cullin Kin

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've never tried Cotton Bacon, but it is popular with some people. I've used about all varieties of cotton I can think of short of a strip off my used shorts :)

Lately I use both KGD and rayon and I get great results with both. I suspect (but am in no way sure) that Cotton Bacon is probably similar to KGD. I guess I would have to try it to see the difference, but both of my wick materials are so good that I'm just not in the hunt for anything better. Both are way better than organic cotton.

Vape on and enjoy Cullin Kin :thumb:

lovemytank

Jun 9, 2015
Right Here
Cotton Bacon is really great! Take your organic cotton balls and boil them for 5 minutes. Ring them out when they cool, place them back in new clean water and boil again. Repeat 10 times then dry them out for a day. The Bacon is what you end up with taste wise. Pretty cheap compared to the aforementioned process I think. Organic Japanese cotton rocks too.

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I've never tried Cotton Bacon, but it is popular with some people. I've used about all varieties of cotton I can think of short of a strip off my used shorts :)

Lately I use both KGD and rayon and I get great results with both. I suspect (but am in no way sure) that Cotton Bacon is probably similar to KGD. I guess I would have to try it to see the difference, but both of my wick materials are so good that I'm just not in the hunt for anything better. Both are way better than organic cotton.

Vape on and enjoy Cullin Kin :thumb:

lol I'm right there with you. I loved my organic cotton balls (Organic Swisspers Biologique Brand) and had no desire to try anything new. But I felt bad and had to buy something and this was it! I tried Egyptian cotton at one point... I tried it in three different builds and it gave off the worst cotton taste I have ever had...It didn't go away quickly either, stuck around for like 3 hours. However, I am interested in KGD and Rayon. Maybe I'll pick up some rayon next time I'm near a Sally's.

I don't know how comfortable I feel paying that much for cotton as I usually get 600 rewicks for about $3.00, but if it really holds up like the lady in the shop said... Who knows.

With this temp control, the whole way I vape could change... Some Koh-Gen-Doh and Temp Control? See, it even rhymes. That's a sign. See what I did there?

Do you have any temp control mods? If so, how do you like them?

@Wraith504 I've never heard of Shisheido... How is it?

@lovemytank I don't know if I could ever put that much time into my cotton lol. I commend you for doing that though!

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
At about a nickel a wick, you better believe I'll be trying this out on Friday's vape shop run. If I get more than two days from it (each wick) I'll save money. Might have sung a different tune 2 years ago when I bought my last pack...

lol let me know what you think! I'm surprised at the price this shop sold it for, it seems to go for the same online. I may have found the first decent and respectable B&M in all of CO! I know another store here was selling the same package for $15... But it was very consistent with all of their other product marked up 132+%.

@Cullin Kin
It is japanese cotton pads that can be found at your local sephora store. :) Costs roughly 10-14 bucks for about 150 pads or so.

I didn't even know we had those stores out here! Seems the closest is about 45min away from me. Do you notice a big difference over other cottons?

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Got some bacon from my local shop 3 weeks ago. I go in to chat but needed the cotton. I think it's pretty good stuff. I only taste my juice. No weird hint of anything. I paid $5.75 for it and I would say it's worth it. I wouldn't drive 50 miles to get it but it beats cotton balls hands down. I would rather spend a little money than use the time it would take to boil and wait. At this price, I don't know if I'll buy it again but it's good if you really needed some and they have it.

Reactions: Cullin Kin

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Cotton Bacon is really great! Take your organic cotton balls and boil them for 5 minutes. Ring them out when they cool, place them back in new clean water and boil again. Repeat 10 times then dry them out for a day.

I don't spend this much time on car care, let alone cotton for my vape. Kudos to you for going through it. My two part process if pretty simple: 1. Cut off a piece of cotton 2. Shove it in the coil.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have a couple different types of Japanese cotton, cotton bacon, and rayon. Cotton Bacon lasts pretty long, i don't think I'd ever keep a piece of cotton in my coils for 2 months, but it definitely can last a while. I wonder what they did to the V2 to make it different from their original.

Not sure, but I know there was a shortage at Walgreen's for awhile, so maybe they went with the a new supplier? Maybe CVS?

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Not sure, but I know there was a shortage at Walgreen's for awhile, so maybe they went with the a new supplier? Maybe CVS?
Let's hope it wasn't Walmart...maybe they went to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, they have some super extra premium cotton there, and you definitely know it's organic haha

lovemytank

Jun 9, 2015
Right Here
I am a nerd yes, I spend too much time on my vape hobby yes, but the reason I boiled 10x (once) my cotton then moved to higher end stuff was because the initial taste of walmart cotton is awful. I found I had to waste at least 20 hits before it tasted ok. The real reason for my change was because I hate wasting my liquid. A bag of 5$ cotton bacon will last a very long time, like a year.

aerobear109

Verified Member
May 4, 2014
United States
To me, the cotton bacon has a odd taste to it when freshly new in any atty I use. The ease of use is fantastic, just that darn taste to it. I've used organic balls and they didn't taste odd. Just a minor gripe. I would much rather taste that then my mouth tasting like an ash tray.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I use Koh-Gen-Doh. Cheaper that Cotton Bacon. Extremely easy to work with. I have found I do not need to split it, to roll it, etc. Just to cut with scissors a piece of needed size, and that's it. Yep. Cut it, push trough coil, done. Sure, it is a square in crossection after cutting, but as I have found out it does not matter at all. OK, it does matter, it is better for my builds.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I am a nerd yes, I spend too much time on my vape hobby yes, but the reason I boiled 10x (once) my cotton then moved to higher end stuff was because the initial taste of walmart cotton is awful. I found I had to waste at least 20 hits before it tasted ok. The real reason for my change was because I hate wasting my liquid. A bag of 5$ cotton bacon will last a very long time, like a year.

I get that too, to some degree. For instance, I use KGD. And while a I get a year's supply (or maybe even two years) for about $12, that is a bit more expensive compared to bags of cotton balls. My choice says, this stuff is better cotton! So, Cotton Bacon V2 may be good cotton, but as soon as things like this are repackaged as a vape product and gone so far as to have a "version 2," it turns comical. Even if it's good, I feel it's a joke.

Note: me saying this stuff is like a joke is not a knock of those that use it. It's also not saying the product is no good. It's the marketing of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread