Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hi all,

Recently i tried clapton wire Khantal A1 24GA+32GA. But after i use for about a day, i found that my cotton snap in the middle. How do i prevent this situation from happening in the future?
How tight was the cotton in your coil?

Feeque

Apr 27, 2018
What type of atty are you using? In an rda it's almost impossible to use too much cotton. There's a Norwegian guy wicking his cotton through the coil with pliers :D
Btw, what is atty? hahaha. sorry i dont understand. im using Kylin Mini single coil Rta. I almost use a plier though same with the Norwegian guy:lol::lol::lol:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I have an aromamizer plus and tend to use a lot of cotton in coil but this was not letting enough juice through wicking slots so i would get dry hits. Did some research and use same amount of cotton but now once i wick i thin out the ends a lot, raking with tweezers to remove cotton on ends. This lets more juice through to the coil without having too much on the coil, so it doesn't spit and pop too much. When my cotton is too loose too much juice sits on the coil and causes problems, and the coils heat more quickly, like when you burn off with no cotton.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
use same amount of cotton but now once i wick i thin out the ends a lot, raking with tweezers to remove cotton on ends
Yeah, that's the "pro" version. I took it OP isn't very experienced and thus only gave the easier method.
Each additional step can make it harder for new builders to get it right consistently, they won't know where to begin to look for an error.

Feeque

Apr 27, 2018
Atty = short for atomizer.

In an RTA like the Kylin the liquid flow channels dictate how much cotton you need and that in turn will tell you what inner diameters are making sense for your coil.
Im a newbie. sorry that sometime i dont understand what are you trying to say
Atty = short for atomizer.

In an RTA like the Kylin the liquid flow channels dictate how much cotton you need and that in turn will tell you what inner diameters are making sense for your coil.
Thanks. huhu

Feeque

Apr 27, 2018
I have an aromamizer plus and tend to use a lot of cotton in coil but this was not letting enough juice through wicking slots so i would get dry hits. Did some research and use same amount of cotton but now once i wick i thin out the ends a lot, raking with tweezers to remove cotton on ends. This lets more juice through to the coil without having too much on the coil, so it doesn't spit and pop too much. When my cotton is too loose too much juice sits on the coil and causes problems, and the coils heat more quickly, like when you burn off with no cotton.
good info. hehe

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
can you give me a tutorial on the liquid flow and also diameters of the coil
Measure the area of one "cotton bucket" at your liquid ports (doesn't need to be exact, just approximate, eg by (inner rectangle+outer rectangle/2)). The coil should have a similar cross-sectional inner area (pi*radius², again doesn't have to be exactly the same but shouldn't be significantly different either).
Then all you need to learn for each RTA is to put in an amount of cotton that doesn't block the liquid flow and doesn't lead to flooding. I use an amount that needs a bit of force to move in the coil, slightly tugging won't budge it.

That should be a good rule of thumb for a beginner to gauge what size the coil should be. If everything works you can start to experiment with changing things up (or not if you're satisfied ;)).

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Wicking is an art. Best way to learn more about methods to do it are YT videos. The visuals are a lot easier to grasp. You can usually find tutorials specific to the tank you have as well.

Agree. I’m new to RTAs/RDAs too. Have seen some good videos on installing coils, but will be looking for ones that focus on wicking. I’ll try to figure out how to link them here when I do.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
how do you do that. teach me masta
Would if I could, grasshopper. Just came naturally I guess. I vape pretty hot too so it always surprised me my cotton never really burned up. I did a "juice challenge" once to help prove how clean a friends juice was and didn't change my cotton for a month. Cotton and coils were pretty gunky and blackish but the cotton was not burnt, it was just colored from burnt sugars coming off the coils. I was using a Velocity rda with dual 24gauge twisted coils at 120 watts. That was some good stuff.

:headbang::headbang:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Wicking is an art. Best way to learn more about methods to do it are YT videos. The visuals are a lot easier to grasp. You can usually find tutorials specific to the tank you have as well.
That's how I learned everything, youtube and advice from ECF members. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread