Cotton tasting hits but not burnt coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryleyisakson

Apr 30, 2018
Pretty much what the subject says. I have the freemax fireluke subohm tank and I just put a new coil in for the first time. I primed it like I did the first time I got the tank (saturated the holes, filled tank, took dry hits to saturate all of the cotton, then let it sit for 30 min. Took my first pull on 40w) and for some reason I've taken quite a few hits and it just tastes like cotton and the vape is drying out my throat. I checked the wick and coil and none of them have blackened so I don't think it's burning. I could use some veteran wisdom as to why this is happening now vs the first time I primed the coil. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hey man I have the 0.12 ohm coils and the recommended wattage is 40w-90w. When I first set it up, I started with 40w and never had that cotton tasting hit. My usual wattage rating is 65-69.
Not a man.;) Raise your watts and see if it improves your flavor; lowering your af (airflow) helps too. Fireluke provides good flavor. If the cotton is wet it is either your juice or watts & af.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yup. I am still getting that new cotton taste, but how come this didn't happen with my last coil? A good 6 hits and it was juicy as ever, this coil just won't get rid of it. The juice is also only 6 days old
What kind of juice? Cream or custard?

• Agree

Ryleyisakson

Apr 30, 2018
"I'm a dude, she's a dude"
Lol my bad. I call everyone dude.
I just out in fresh Batts and the intensity went up and it's starting to settle in faster. Still not to what I had before but getting closer

I am using puff vapors Elvis flavor.

Also side question- the coil I am using is the mesh .15 vs the .12 I thought it was. Looks like they gave me different replacement coils (still unused). They sold me SS316L 0.12. is there a huge difference between the two? I know the Mesh coils I use wattage and the SS uses TC.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not entirely sure what's going on, although it sounds like you inadvertently changed your coil, which will profoundly affect your vape and how to run it. It could be as simple as not enough wattage to power the coil and get juice flowing well through it. I don't own the tank, but my advice would be to adjust wattage and possibly airflow. It doesn't sound burnt so much as not wicking well, for whatever reason. If you aren't getting a burnt taste, it may be as simple as adjusting your wattage until you get a better vape experience. If you wind up not liking the coil, well that is going to give you your coil preferences moving forward. Many folks do have a particular coil that they like for their device, which is why manufacturers will include several coils for the device for a new user to try before deciding which coils to stock up on and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Pretty much what the subject says. I have the freemax fireluke subohm tank and I just put a new coil in for the first time. I primed it like I did the first time I got the tank (saturated the holes, filled tank, took dry hits to saturate all of the cotton, then let it sit for 30 min. Took my first pull on 40w) and for some reason I've taken quite a few hits and it just tastes like cotton and the vape is drying out my throat. I checked the wick and coil and none of them have blackened so I don't think it's burning. I could use some veteran wisdom as to why this is happening now vs the first time I primed the coil. What am I doing wrong?
Welcome and glad you joined.
What are you doing wrong, maybe nothing or it could be your sensitive taste buds. Could have another taste and comment (local B&M Vape shop).

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread