Cotton unwicking trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snickerfritz

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
USA
2-3mm ID - 26 & 28 ga wire here... in Kayfuns and RDAs... so issues with removing wicks just doesn't come up. What atty, wire and coil diameter are you building, that this is an issue Snickerfritz... clearos or something?

I'm using 32 gauge kanthal and rebuilding Protank heads. As far as diameter goes, I use a 1/16th drill bit. It sounds like maybe thicker wire would help, too bad I'm sitting on 100 feet of the 32. For now, my new technique is working well for me and prevents me from having to recoil every other day.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
OK. So if I get this right, you're saying that when the cotton gets gunked up it will still slide out when you pull on it gently?

This has not been my experience, but I could still be putting in in too much cotton.

Yep, mine pull out clean pretty much every time. I suppose a few factors come into play tho like wire gauge, cotton type, application (dripper, clearo, ect), and how "dirty" your juice gets but there should be a sweet spot between coil diameter and the amount of cotton used so that changing wicks should be a breeze.

IMO its so easy/cheap to replace a cotton wick that you might consider changing the wick before it gets encased in a "gunk cocoon" even if your juice is the darkest, coil gunkinist, sugary, Net ever made. :)

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
I'm using 32 gauge kanthal and rebuilding Protank heads. As far as diameter goes, I use a 1/16th drill bit. It sounds like maybe thicker wire would help, too bad I'm sitting on 100 feet of the 32. For now, my new technique is working well for me and prevents me from having to recoil every other day.

32ga should be fine, I know with the clearos you need enough wick so that it won't flood but maybe consider a slightly larger coil ID like 2 mm so that the cotton doesn't need to be quite so tight but still prevents flooding.

Snickerfritz

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
USA
32ga should be fine, I know with the clearos you need enough wick so that it won't flood but maybe consider a slightly larger coil ID like 2 mm so that the cotton doesn't need to be quite so tight but still prevents flooding.

I'm not sure how this would be done though. The 1/16th drill bit is the largest one that will fit in the slot on the Protank head.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Oh well... I'm sure you can find a use for the 32. 30 isn't much stiffer... but stiff enough that perhaps having a de-wicking "method" isn't such a requirement. Hey... at least it's workin' for ya'... right. :)

Jaguar07

Carpe Nocturne
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Long Beach, California, USA
I use a 2mm drill bit to make my coils on my Igo-L. I use 26 gauge A-1. A 3 wrap coil ends up at about 0.7ohms and a 4 wrap ends up around 0.8-0.9 ohms. Then I take about a 1/2" wad of cotton and roll it tightly, much like I do with stainless wick, I spend a bit of time on it. Compress it pretty tight, then slide the narrower end of the cotton in from right to left so I can pull the thicker end out from left to right when the wick is dirty or burnt, or when I want to change flavors. I probably re-wick daily on average. The coil is a couple of weeks old. If I start to taste metallic hints, I re-coil.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009

I'd twist that 32 wire and use it.
Much stronger and seems to stay more wet than single strand.

Attachments

• DSC_3030.jpg
    DSC_3030.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread