Cough, Cough! Help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

susie22321

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
St. Clair Shores, MI
www.smokestik.com
Been vaping for a couple of months, but still have not found the perfect combo. I smoked for something like 40 years and was up to 2 packs a day of Winston Lights RYO. Nearly every single time I vape, the first hit nails me with coughing and I put it down, so still doing the analogs.

Hubby has tried every combination he can think of with no success.

He's experimented with strengh of nicotine, PG, VG, and just about any combination with all different 'flavors' of e-juice. I've read lots of threads on the proper "inhale"..... Am I ever going to be able to vape full time?

TIA!

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I get that a bit first thing in the morning sometimes - I have to start with small, light puffs - but it usually clears up within half an hour.

Both of you are having this problem, and you've experimented with lots of juice...

Is it possible your e-cig itself is the culprit? Are you both using e-cigs from the same kit or batch? Does anyone with more experienced than I know if that's possible?

Could you possibly be still not inhaling right? I had to switch to a mouth inhale, and then breathing it in, in order to get good hits without coughing.

Was the VG juice you tried 100% VG? Have you thried PEG-400 juices?

tector

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2010
Israel
like wv2win, i think that u smoke it in the wrong way, like hookah and not like cigarete..

inhale to your mouth and then from the mouth to your lungs.. like a real cigarette - common mistake that i see when i give my e-cig for people to try..

slow slow inhale to mouth, take out the cigarette, and then breath in..

try to exhale immediate and not to hold the vapor inside for start..

the other reason i can think of is to much inhale.. try lower dosage.. 2-3 seconds inhale, instead of 5-6 seconds for start..

its also might be a burned atomizer i bealive.. its kick the .... out of me when i use burned atty,,

good luck Vape friend :)

susie22321

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
St. Clair Shores, MI
www.smokestik.com
zbasspro, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try anything! I have done lower nic, down to 12, I think. Still trying!

MistressNomad, Guess I wasn't clear, but he's happily vaping along and has no problems! I'm doing the mouth holding too, as I've read about. It's very frustrating. I can chain smoke my analogs and not cough on inhale...just all night long and in the morning :)

wv2win, thanks....I am doing that after reading so much on this board, which is SO informative!

tector, I don't know about smoking like a hookah, since I never have...at least not that way :) I'll try the shorter inhale, but it seems very difficult to get used to. When I smoke analogs, I just drag and inhale, not hold it in my mouth, although I'm trying to be aware on the e-cigs to do that.

How can I get other people to vape if I can't even take a hit without coughing my brains out? I'll keep trying, thanks for all of your input to a newbie :)

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Hi Suzie.

Seems like you're at wits end... but don't give up. Have you tried 100% vg? I am a big fan of soft th, in fact the softer the better for me. That's why I vape all vg. Cignot's Tobacco #1 and Chill both at 25mg nic gave me massive plumes of vapor but almost no th at all... their Basic and ECOpure lines are 100% vg.

I don't know what kind of e-cig you have, but if you have some USP vg on hand, blow out your atty and try dripping 2-3 drops of vg and vape, do this a couple of times. You should have plumes of vapor but no th. If that th works for you, then order some all vig juices (recommend Cignot's Tobacco sampler and other Basic line juices at 12mg nic as a start).

Keep working on it because there IS a solution out there for you...going back to analogs is not the one!

Good luck!

susie have you tried zero nic flavored VG? That may be an option if it works, even if you have to have a few cigs while you adjust. As in my original post I found vaping harsh, and coughed the 1st day or 2. That was with what 24mg samples I got with my kit. I continued right through it, and now have a hard time getting a TH 1/2 the time.

Point being if you can just find something that you can semi tolerate for a while I think that you too will adjust, based on my experience. I was a HEAVY smoker, and was shocked by the TH and cough when I first received my PV, kinda like my 1st real cig years ago, but like I did with those I continued to do it, and my body adjusted.

I hope you hang in there and keep trying, and if you`re sick of spending $ on stuff PM me and I have some zero nic stuff that I`ll send you to try.

susie22321

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
St. Clair Shores, MI
www.smokestik.com
zbasspro, do you mean that I should be doing ZERO nic completely? I don't think that'll get me off of analogs, lol. Let me know what your suggestions are, thank you!

Upinthehills, I'm pretty sure that none of them are from China, but I'll have to ask, and I know they're not all from the same place.

I WANT to do this! At the restaurant tonight, hubby was vaping away and I tried but was coughing and gave it up and went out for an analog :(

Thanks for all of the help!

Yes, I was thinking that if that`s what it took while getting you to adjust, while maybe cutting down on the smokes. I truly believe that you`ll get used to it. But was thinking maybe easing into it with zero nic may be the way to go.

Ultimately the goal is to get you vaping and not smoking, but if you vaped zero nic and cut back your smokes, and you got used to it, you could gradually start using nic. Just kinda thinking out load here while trying to be helpful.

Like I said I coughed my .... off the 1st day, albeit it was tolerable, and figured I`d get used to it. I did by the end of the 2nd day. Now I vape 24mg all day, and don`t get a TH, unless I got to 5V. I won`t go above 24mg because my goal is to wean down gradually.

So say zero nic was a little uncomfortable at 1st, and still made you cough, but was tolerable enough that you could do it. I think in no time that would go away and you could start using nic in small amounts maybe suffering some irritation or temporary cough each time you upped it. Maybe I`m way off base, but believe it`ll pass as you get used to it, and starting with zero nic would be the easiest to tolerate it would seem.

guava

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
ca
Susie, have you tried more than one vendor for juice? I remember when I was first getting started all was good, then I ordered some juice that just didn't work for me that made me have to clear my throat over and over.

Having said that, I have vaped juice from about 8+ vendors that didn't have that effect.

Might just be some ingredient in the juice you have that doesn't agree with you and/or you have an allergy to that ingredient...so I'd suggest trying a new vendor to test the theory out. I hope you stick with vaping intead of smoking. It's made a huge difference in my life. I can do laps in the pool now without batting an eyelash instead of checking to make sure there is a lifeguard on duty, lol.

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
I hacked my brains out in the beginning. I thought I couldn't do it. So I took little puffs and held them in my mouth and then inhaled slowly for a week or two, also smoking the whole time. Until I got use to the vapor. I noticed that if I used light flavors like vanilla it was not as harsh as tobacco or menthol especially. I smoked Newport so this was a very frustrating time for me. Now I am vaping 36 mg tobacco menthol and never hack at all LOL.
I am not sure about the vg because back when I was hacking there was no mention of vg yet. Personally vg give me a raspy sore throat if I go over 20% in a mix.

It took me a year to finally not smoke any cigs for a notable period. Have faith the hacking will go away.

susie22321

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
St. Clair Shores, MI
www.smokestik.com
zbasspro, thanks for the info. Makes sense, so I'll have to see if we have any zero or get some.

guava, hubby has a drawer full of e-juice from many different vendors. Having tried most of them, I guess that's not the problem, although that would have been a great solution :)

Thanks for the tips, Nyxie!

Guess I'll just persevere and hope that eventually I can overcome.

dfs405

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
amherst new york
Wow too much TH seems rare for e-cigs, hard to believe. What do you think about using no nic, all VG like suggested above and wearing a patch for the nic while trying to transition over to all e-cigs. Then you will get the feeling like smoking and still satisfy your need for nic. I cant imagine no nic all VG giving too much TH even on a burnt atty. Also one last thought is if the juice is too dry in the atty (not enough) then the hit will be harsh, just a though

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I smoked 2 packs a day for 34 years. I smoked Virginia Slim Ultra Light 120s. I still can't handle the throat hit from juices. All I use is Ecopure Fresh from Cignot-up to 30 mg. and Johnson Creek Red Oak Line, Tenn. Cured-18 mg. (both 100% VG) Love the nic., still have flavor, not so much the throat hit. It works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread