Could I have done damage to my battery/mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceejay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
California
I was building a coil for my rda and had it mounted on my mech mod. I forgot to lock the firing cap while I was doing this. I tried to screw down one of the posts which caused my mech to fire. A piece of the coil popped and melted. I tested out the battery and the atomizer and everything seems fine. Is there anything I should look for or did I do damage to my stuff?

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
did it really melt? or just snap apart? kanthal a-1 melts at 1500 °C or 2732 °F and thats a lot!!! sounds like you shorted out the circuit. i would put the battery on its side (so the contacts are not touching anything) in a metal bucket or empty tool box for a while if your worried about it. if the battery feels hot after about 20-60 minutes or is bulging (cant remove it from the battery tube in the mod). thats not a good sign and means the battery is done for. if you cant get it out of the mod put the whole thing in a safe area like a metal bucket away from anything and everything and could catch on fire.

Last edited:

ceejay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
California
did it really melt? or just snap apart? kanthal a-1 melts at 1500 °C or 2732 °F and thats a lot!!! sounds like you shorted out the circuit. i would put the battery on its side (so the contacts are not touching anything) in a metal bucket or empty tool box for a while if your worried about it. if the battery feels hot after about 20-60 minutes or is bulging (cant remove it from the battery tube in the mod). thats not a good sign and means the battery is done for. if you cant get it out of the mod put the whole thing in a safe area like a metal bucket away from anything and everything and could catch on fire.

Yea a small portion of it actually melted. Was surprised when I saw it. It was 12 wraps of 30 gauge so it was probably 2 ohms or so. The battery isn't hot or expanded.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
if the battery is not showing any damage check the voltage output of the battery on your DVOM. if its with in spec, thats a good sign. if its a VV mod you might have blown a fuse the only way to find out is put a battery you know to be good in the mod and check voltage out put with your DVOM.

if its mechanical and the contacts are still there and looking good then its fine.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Thanks for the help. I can upload a pic of the melted coil later. I'm baffled how it could have been that hot. It was kanthal from tecmo.

Kanthal is magnetic, (mostly iron) easy enough to check it to make sure.

if your battery is bad then cover the contacts with electrical tape and call your local waste disposal people. in my town we have a few places that you can dump your house hold trash at but only one of them will take batteries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Assuming you have experience making coils and are relatively sure the coil had a resistance of 2.0 ohm, a Vape Safe Mod Fuse likely would have prevented this from happening. These fuses probably don't do much good with sub ohm coils, but they do add some safety to any mechanical mod using normal resistance coils.

Also check your hot spring if your mod uses one to make sure it didn't collapse. It will need replacement if it did.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
there are 2 types of shorts... short of power... and short to ground.
so when we have any circuit there are 5 things that make up that circuit.
Source wall socket, battery "power source"
conductor: copper wire something that will carry the electricity
circuit protection: fuse or breaker something that will blow and cut the circuit if there is a problem
load: light bulb, heating coil something that uses up the electricity
control device: a switch, a sensor something that will control when the circuit is active.

everything after the load is considered the ground side of the circuit
so a short of power means you have electrically flowing back to to the power side before or after it reaches the load. this causes things to get hot and catch on fire and melt
short to ground means the power never made it to the load and went straight to ground, your light bulb will not light your coil will not get hot. but nothing happens other than that.

if you have a fuse or breaker it may blow or flip in the event of a short of any kind. but fuses and breakers do not work %100 of the time.. you see "redundant circuit protection" (more than one) for this reason

people call an "open" (meaning an incomplete circuit) a short all the time... but this is really called an Open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread