Could my vape have been damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I had my vape on my pocket (vaporesso swag) and forgot to turn it off, then I felt heat coming from it and took it out and it was indeed hot and with a burnt smell. Also it had very little juice so the coil was burning I think. I have another coil so I can change it, but could the overall vape be damaged?
Doubtful the hardware, beyond your burnt coil, is damaged. The batteries might not have liked being discharged do quickly, but a shortened lifespan is about as bad as that could be, as there is a Puff cut-off limiter.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It's probably not damaged based on what you describe. You may have to clean your tank RATHER thoroughly but I'm guessing a new coil should fix that.

Do whatever it is the mod wants (sorry don't have one) to lock in or turn it of in your pocket.

Anna
Or better yet don't put it in your pocket.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I had my vape on my pocket (vaporesso swag) and forgot to turn it off, then I felt heat coming from it and took it out and it was indeed hot and with a burnt smell. Also it had very little juice so the coil was burning I think. I have another coil so I can change it, but could the overall vape be damaged?

Unless there was a problem with the Swag to begin with that caused it to fire continuously, it and the battery are OK.

I would replace the coil and try it. If it works fine, turn it off when you put it in your pocket from now on and when you leave it when you're not there with it until you're sure it doesn't auto fire by itself. The Swag's fire button doesn't stick out much so it should not easily be pressed in if it is all you have in your pocket. I've had a Pico 75 in my pocket for thousands of hours now without that happening, but I never have anything else in there with it.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Unless there was a problem with the Swag to begin with that caused it to fire continuously, it and the battery are OK.

I would replace the coil and try it. If it works fine, turn it off when you put it in your pocket from now on and when you leave it when you're not there with it until you're sure it doesn't auto fire by itself. The Swag's fire button doesn't stick out much so it should not easily be pressed in if it is all you have in your pocket. I've had a Pico 75 in my pocket for thousands of hours now without that happening, but I never have anything else in there with it.
Putting a mod in your pocket is not a good practice in general. If you shut it off or at least lock the fire button at a minimum ok. It's one of those things that never seems to fail that the one time you don't is the time the fire button get triggered somehow. I'm just saying there are better options than putting a potential bomb near precious items. I refuse to be a statistic if I can help it.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I cannot even imagine how this is a subject of controversy. You .... vaped and burnt out your coil. It got warm because you weren't drawing any air through it to cool it. Your regulated mod cut off after ten seconds thanks to its built-in failsafe, but the coil is irrecoverably ruined. A mere ten seconds of cell discharge is nothing to be concerned about, since as a smart vaper you naturally chose a cell with a continuous discharge rating higher than what your atomizer required.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It's all good I think. I carry my mods in my purse and if it ever explodes I am HURLING that thing as far away as possible but I'm pretty .... about the off/on bit.

There are worse places to carry your mods than in your pocket.... Like, for example a fanny pack. For SO many reasons.

Anna
I was going to make a joke about your comment but last time I did a snowflake melted and I got scolded. Not you Anna.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I vape with pods for that very reason. It's like carrying a flask in a vest pocket instead of carrying a fifth around in your back pocket.
An auto draw device in a shirt or trouser pocket is a lot less likely to self-fire. Phooey on having to remember to 5 click off, pull it out and try to remember if it is on or off and all that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are worse places to carry your mods than in your pocket.... Like, for example a fanny pack. For SO many reasons.
Name a few. I carry my gear in a fanny pack in the summertime.

When I leave the house, a mod or two, spare batteries, and a bottle of juice is a bit much for pants pockets. My fanny pack carries everthing without resorting to a dedicated vape bag. The stigma of a man using a fanny pack is below me. It's practical.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's like really too close to a bunch of organs that are sort of necessary/helpful for life... Including your genitals for one. I would prefer to have a functioning lower gut, as well, I don't want one of those poop bags for the rest of my life, etc.

It's just a very bad place on the body is what I am saying.

I won't mention that there is a certain, IDK, awesomeness but also terribleness to fanny packs.

I don't care for them, they remind me of the 80s. Anytime I wear one, Madonna songs pop into my head, randomly. "Life is a mystery....."

Damnit. Thanks. The 80s was before autotuned and she was about as BAD a singer as Lourdes (different Lourdes though) is a GOOD one.

Gah.

Anna

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Putting a mod in your pocket is not a good practice in general. If you shut it off or at least lock the fire button at a minimum ok. It's one of those things that never seems to fail that the one time you don't is the time the fire button get triggered somehow. I'm just saying there are better options than putting a potential bomb near precious items. I refuse to be a statistic if I can help it.

I'm not worried about it Don. I've never heard of a Pico auto-firing or starting a fire for any reason. If it ever does auto-fire, it's in my pocket and I will feel it before it's a safety issue. An auto-fire at 14 watts is not a 'blow up' issue anyway. My batteries are also authentic Samsung 30Q's and have been well treated.

I suppose you could say that the worst can happen anyway as it has been known to ... but we all vape our setups with the drip tips in our mouths, which brings much higher worst case risk with it.

Everyone has different limits to taking risks and having my mod in my pocket all day is acceptable to me. Other things people accept the risk of doing, like charging batteries overnight while they are sleeping, are not worth it to me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's like really too close to a bunch of organs that are sort of necessary/helpful for life... Including your genitals for one. I would prefer to have a functioning lower gut, as well, I don't want one of those poop bags for the rest of my life, etc.

It's just a very bad place on the body is what I am saying.

I won't mention that there is a certain, IDK, awesomeness but also terribleness to fanny packs.

I don't care for them, they remind me of the 80s. Anytime I wear one, Madonna songs pop into my head, randomly. "Life is a mystery....."

Damnit. Thanks. The 80s was before autotuned and she was about as BAD a singer as Lourdes (different Lourdes though) is a GOOD one.

Gah.

Anna

Hey, leave my fanny packs ALONE Anna !! :pervy:

I use a big one on bike rides, a small one at the gym for my wallet, keys, phone and ear buds (I leave my mod in the car if I take it), and have a couple more for other activities. On the bike I have it in the middle behind me, other times on my left rear hip.

80's, shmeaties, they just work for me :cool: . At 62, I'm way past putting much effort into considering anyone's fashion sense anyway.

Regarding safety, when I do put my mod in one I don't put it close to my body so if anything goes wrong there is something between it and me.

Works well for me, but as always YMMV :thumb:

• Love
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hey, leave my fanny packs ALONE Anna !! :pervy:

I use a big one on bike rides, a small one at the gym for my wallet, keys, phone and ear buds (I leave my mod in the car if I take it), and have a couple more for other activities. On the bike I have it in the middle behind me, other times on my left rear hip.

80's, shmeaties, they just work for me :cool: . At 62, I'm way past putting much effort into considering anyone's fashion sense anyway.

Regarding safety, when I do put my mod in one I don't put it close to my body so if anything goes wrong there is something between it and me.

Works well for me, but as always YMMV :thumb:
Fanny packs are very much a function over fashion choice. They're very functional though. They haven’t been fashionable since the 80’s but they’re still in production.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't mind your fanny pack and I would say the likelihood of a mod exploding in one is VERY low especially if things are turned off.

I am a bag lady ALL the way but I do not travel LIGHT. When I am 96 I STILL won't use a fanny pack because one big enough yeah that is unlikely,

That and the Madonna thing I HATE that so much.

LOL on one of those "Dance Crew Dance Off" reality shows, one crew was named the Fanny packs. They were pretty darn creative. I'm sure some of it is on youtube if you want to check them out.

They also often attired in 80s gear like legwarmers and whatnot but they did NOT use any Madonna.... Because they were QUTIE good.

I love/hate that I know this. I am a WELL of useless factoids.

Oh well. At least I am not (DELETED DUE TO POLITICS)

Anna

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread