Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Regardless of the equipment, you mix until the ingredients have thoroughly combined. VG and PG initially mix to become cloudy, then clear with streaks, then completely clear and you're done. For the record this is easily accomplished with a spoon or stir rod in a minute or two. Heating is not desirable as it may cause loss of volatile flavor esters. Once the juice is bottled and sealed, you may choose to "speed steep" by placing the bottles in a pan of warm water for a few hours to help the flavors combine.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I mix in 100ml bottles. The magnetic stirrer would be great for larger batches. For my personal DIY mixes I use the handheld drink stirrer from Amazon after the bottle is mixed. It's quick and easy and cleanup only requires running the sink tap over the stirrer shaft, then running it for a few seconds to spin off the water residue.

The skinny attachment (second from right) fits all my bottles. The tip expands into a Y shape as it spins.

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cordl...rink+stirrers&qid=1561132876&s=gateway&sr=8-3

518-Kc%2BCtgL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have been mixing in 60 ml batches, but between the wife and I it seems there is always a bottle or two to be mixed, so I got some 240 ml bottles and will be mixing in that amount now.

I bought a case of 60ml and a case of 240ml Boston Rounds bottles years ago. I use the 60ml for juices I mix with flavor and the 240ml for unflavored PG/VG with nic. I like doing that because I can use the unflavored to mix up small batches of flavor for testing as well as vaping unflavored, which I do most of the time.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I was so intrigued with magnetic mixers that I made one (computer fan, speed controller, power supply, Rubbermaid container) and bought one, and I don't use eithe. I just shake and vape.

The problem I have is that I mix max VG - the only PG is whatever the percentage of flavoring happens to be for that recipe. So, with PG based flavoring, a ten percent total flavor would give me a 90/10 mix. Neither of my stirrers are capable of mixing a 90% VG liquid - it's just too thick and the "flea" disconnects from the stirrer magnet and just hops around in the juice. It will stay connected at slower speeds, but the stirring action is just to slow to adequately mix the juice.

If you are planning to mix max VG, I suppose heating may help you as it may thin a higher VG liquid, while 70/30 or 60/40 VG/PG might mix just fine without heat.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I'm doing a follow up on my purchase of the 78-1 Magnetic stirrerhotplate from Amazon.

Right off I'll say, I like it, and my wrists are thanking me, and I realize this isn't a necessity for mixing. So there, that's out of the way.
I have mixed several 240 ml batches in a 600 ml flask, or beaker, whichever they are called, a wide mouthed container anyway. I am going to be getting a 250ml one for this size of batches shortly, along with other length stir bars to experiment with. This came with a 1 inch bar.

In the large mixing vessel, the 1 inch bar appears to work very well, and I did try it in a 60ml amber boston round bottle. The bottle doesn't appear to have a flat bottom which makes the bar hard to control, due to it slipping off center, and becomes un balanced. I'm hoping a shorter bar might work better, I'll see.

The one inconvenience I have with this, is the hot plate, the temp is not adjustable, and it heats to 160 deg. F. Way to hot in my opinion. I like to just warm it enough to thin out the VG some for better mixing. My solution so far, is to turn it on for 10 minutes, then off. The hot plate stays warm for a good bit, then after a while I'll give it another maybe 5 minute shot. I like to feel the container a little warm, not hot. Maybe if I were an electrician, I could probably wire in a thermostat or something to control the heat. The time for mixing is up to the individual, I think. I've been doing 45 - 60 minutes, so far.

So, that's it for now, and I'm happy with it, as I said before. :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I'm on the verge of ordering one, and have a couple of questions.
Do you use a model with heat? If so, is the heater in the base or heated with a rod suspended in the mix?
How long do you let it mix?
I am strongly considering this one. https://www.amazon.com/SYLPHID-Magnetic-Stirrer-Heating-Machine/dp/B07JW2WLN3/ref=sr_1_12?crid=TKZLV6U6NL94&keywords=magnetic+stirrer+hot+plate&qid=1561127635&refinements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&s=gateway&sprefix=magnetic+stirrer,aps,190&sr=8-12
Thank you for any comments, and recommendations.

I do not use heat. Since I have well over 100 recipes perfected to my personal taste, now days I mostly only make 120ml batches and rotate to a different recipe in each bottle when it's 120ml batch is used up. Typically I have 18-20 120ml bottles going at a time (and around the same number of mod/atty combos in rotation to run them in). I make my own one shots that meld together before being added to my nic free VG heavy base. So my stir time is long enough to thoroughly incorporate the one shot into my base. I don't time it or pay it much heed though, so I take it off the stir plate when I remember to gather it up.

A gent in Latvia made this stir plate for me 3+ years ago. It and the scale I mix on are often used daily once or twice or thrice, or at least every other day (my DLH's day and night on mesh gear uses up a lot of joose).

stirplate160812.jpg

Reactions: oplholik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread