Creating a Patina on Brass mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
One of my mods is brass and I was wondering if it is safe to get a patina going on it? Has anyone done something similar to this? I've been looking at various mod picture threads, and the only patina I've seen are the dull brown looking ones.

I'm trying to find a way to get this greenish-blue patina similar to this:

15-coffee-table-teak-with-brass-patina2.jpg

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
My granddad once told me how to make this...
Apparently you can do it by rubbing it with some acid (cant remember what type tho)...
The man used to be a blacksmith so he knows his metals but if its actually true or not i cannot say since he's an old man and has been known to tell a white lie or two... But to me it seems legit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
i know copper flashing you can use a fine sandpaper and wipe it down with vinegar and it will give it the blueish patina , i guess since its brass if all fails buff it back out to the shiny brass but what ever you do you will have to put several coats of clear coat on it to keep your hands from rubbing it off might want to do a utube search and see what comes up

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    One of my mods is brass and I was wondering if it is safe to get a patina going on it? Has anyone done something similar to this? I've been looking at various mod picture threads, and the only patina I've seen are the dull brown looking ones.

I'm trying to find a way to get this greenish-blue patina similar to this:

15-coffee-table-teak-with-brass-patina2.jpg

That looks like copper sulfate

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Apalachicola, FL, United States
    For green/blue patina on brass: Spray the piece to be patina'd and suspend over a pool of 2 parts white vinegar, 1 1/2 parts non-detergent ammonia, and 1/2 part non-iodized salt. Cover (I use a large ziplock) and place in a warm and humid environment. After 24 hours or so, rinse with clean water, dry, and seal with carnuba wax or Tung oil. Easy Peasey.

patina.jpg

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2013
    WA State, USA
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I just realized that all of the methods I've seen and been given might get the insides and the threads oxidized, which I do not want. I'll keep the advices given here in mind. I'll try to create a makeshift plugs out of whatever.

Thanks again :D

PS: nice mod @Entropy1049. That's the exact look I've been looking for.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2012
    Lansing, Michigan
    For green/blue patina on brass: Spray the piece to be patina'd and suspend over a pool of 2 parts white vinegar, 1 1/2 parts non-detergent ammonia, and 1/2 part non-iodized salt. Cover (I use a large ziplock) and place in a warm and humid environment. After 24 hours or so, rinse with clean water, dry, and seal with carnuba wax or Tung oil. Easy Peasey.

View attachment 249528

Spray it with what? And how long do you leave it suspended over the pool before covering it?

Richard75

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania

View attachment 249528

I'll chime in and say that there are rumors out there (mostly among gun enthusiasts, but I think it's a valid concern) that ammonia weakens brass and can contribute to cracks and breaks. The thought is that ammonia dissolves the copper in a brass alloy. Chemically, ammonia does dissolve copper, but it's still largely unknown how it treats brass. I just say better safe than sorry.

ceejay

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2010
    California

View attachment 249528

Looks nice but is the threading and inside tarnished too? I assume that would degrade performance

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread