Creating good fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
I was just thinking of all the bad press vaping has received and how the news always reports the doom and gloom and most of it is not accurate. It would be sort of funny to reverse engineer fake news.

Did you hear about the blind vaper who regained his eyesight? Did you hear about the wheelchair bound man who could walk again after he started vaping? Did you know vaping regrows hair in balding men?. Did you know vaping reduces wrinkles?

;)

Last edited:

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
Why is the question? They backed off of those stories for a bit, but now they're piling back on.
Because it would be funny to see how blown up the stories could get. I bet I could tell one stranger that vaping cures impotence and within a week the news would be reporting it. Interviewing doctors, showing the little blue pill sales charts.......

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
'Fake news', spin, publicity, and evangelism are the same thing. Ancient political tools to sway public perception to lay the groundwork for implementing or opposing an agenda. There's nothing wrong with engaging in it. We'd be fools not to. The truth is a matter of interpretation. People aren't as dumb as they seem, but they are bored and love to spread gossip. I wish we'd stop acting like hapless victims and try to embrace reality instead of harping on the same boring old facts and expecting people to respond logically. People are emotional beings and need to be interested or they won't care.

Look at Dave from Dashvapes. He owns a successful chain of vape stores in Canada (that also ship to the USA) and he consistently releases Youtube videos to address and dispel the silly myths surrounding vaping. And he does it in a charismatic, persuasive, and shareable way. He's a champion of our cause. We should all be like Dave.

The ace up our sleeve is that we can see legal changes coming and prepare to vape without the establishment, but the solution is to be strident in opposition to unjust laws, and to argue convincingly to recruit allies. Too often on this forum do we allow the voices of despair and hopelessness persuade us to turtle up and accept what may come. To throw up our hands at the actions of society and government, as though we are not a part of it.

Nothing turns away an audience more swiftly than a retreat into bitterness and self-pity, so let's try to rise above it.

Max Barrett

Aug 17, 2019
Stuttgart
I understand the concept of counter-intel but ever relied on the policy of posting links to reliable scientific studies (e.g. by Prof Dr. Riccardo Polosa, Prof Dr. Bernd Mayer etc.) or other harm reduction-related material like the good reading(s) by the Royal College of Physicians and Public Health England alike.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I understand the concept of counter-intel but ever relied on the policy of posting links to reliable scientific studies (e.g. by Prof Dr. Riccardo Polosa, Prof Dr. Bernd Mayer etc.) or other harm reduction-related material like the good reading(s) by the Royal College of Physicians and Public Health England alike.

Agree with you Max, that would have been a winning strategy I believe. The missing ingredient in this recipe is user participation, our apathy and sense of inevitability. Can you imagine the effect had millions of vapers around the world been submitting such counter-point routinely flooding the MSM and independent media, websites, etc. Regrettably we never adequately trained and armed the vape troll militia. Or we might have had that million man vapeathon I've talked about on the FDA's front lawn long ago.

In a world of antagonistic bureaucracy, and knowing what we've all known has been done to us, the instinct of self-preservation should've been the adequate impetus for our preparation and resistance.

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
'Fake news', spin, publicity, and evangelism are the same thing. Ancient political tools to sway public perception to lay the groundwork for implementing or opposing an agenda. There's nothing wrong with engaging in it. We'd be fools not to. The truth is a matter of interpretation. People aren't as dumb as they seem, but they are bored and love to spread gossip. I wish we'd stop acting like hapless victims and try to embrace reality instead of harping on the same boring old facts and expecting people to respond logically. People are emotional beings and need to be interested or they won't care.

Look at Dave from Dashvapes. He owns a successful chain of vape stores in Canada (that also ship to the USA) and he consistently releases Youtube videos to address and dispel the silly myths surrounding vaping. And he does it in a charismatic, persuasive, and shareable way. He's a champion of our cause. We should all be like Dave.

The ace up our sleeve is that we can see legal changes coming and prepare to vape without the establishment, but the solution is to be strident in opposition to unjust laws, and to argue convincingly to recruit allies. Too often on this forum do we allow the voices of despair and hopelessness persuade us to turtle up and accept what may come. To throw up our hands at the actions of society and government, as though we are not a part of it.

Nothing turns away an audience more swiftly than a retreat into bitterness and self-pity, so let's try to rise above it.

Great post. I shared Dave's post. I don't share his ambivalence though about what our communication is. It's definitely not the property of the exhibiting venue who can't pretend to own the net. Regardless of the platform, who would contribute, create or post anything at all if they new up front the medium reserved the unlimited discretion to restrict, edit, exclude, ghost, or adversely weight access or delivery of anything by virtue of ambiguous open-ended hidden subjective terms? No one, with reason. Our content, origination, opinion, etc. does not become a portal's property without our consent. What we're seeing in the tech sector today breaks the internet. It breaks us.

Open communication informs my choices. We don't need a daddy alphabet soup messing with the important vowels.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Pitting fake news against fake news is pretty much the same as creating another communist party against well, now, and claiming it is 'Better."

Neither one is better, and if you think it is a wise practice... It's not. You have to DEPROGRAM a lot of society and telling lies is not the way to do it.

I kind of get this post is in Jest, but man, about 95% of news these days is The Onion worthy... I think they did one on vaping I should check. LOL

Heh https://local.theonion.com/man-smoking-e-cigarette-must-be-futuristic-bounty-hunte-1819575846

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
orangutan-hadtogo.jpg

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
This was basically supposed to be a "wouldn't it be funny if" post and not to be taken too seriously. I have better things to do with my time than create fake news. It just seems everyone else is lying on the news. I was curious how it might go down if vapers were lying instead of the anti-vaping folks.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
This was basically supposed to be a "wouldn't it be funny if" post and not to be taken too seriously. I have better things to do with my time than create fake news. It just seems everyone else is lying on the news. I was curious how it might go down if vapers were lying instead of the anti-vaping folks.
I do wish it had developed into the funny stress relief thread you had in mind. Thanks for the effort and know some of us appreciate it.

Max Barrett

Aug 17, 2019
Stuttgart
Agree with you Max, that would have been a winning strategy I believe. The missing ingredient in this recipe is user participation, our apathy and sense of inevitability. Can you imagine the effect had millions of vapers around the world been submitting such counter-point routinely flooding the MSM and independent media, websites, etc. Regrettably we never adequately trained and armed the vape troll militia. Or we might have had that million man vapeathon I've talked about on the FDA's front lawn long ago.

In a world of antagonistic bureaucracy, and knowing what we've all known has been done to us, the instinct of self-preservation should've been the adequate impetus for our preparation and resistance.

I thoroughly agree with you, MacTechVpr - it's a question of participation. At least I will try to behave as a positive role-model for the combusters out there in my direct environment. Every single "convinced" smoker might be a safe and sound individual, surviving that toxic habit. (I lost my then smoking Dad to cancer.) I've learned - cannot recall the exact place, maybe from "Vaping with Vic" - that in the US, a constant and direct contact with your single political representative, being a partisan of Dem or GOP isn't relevant, is the most effective strategy in terms of Advocacy. Whereas here in Germany, were I live, it's all about organisational and political-party related communication.
Good luck to us all! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread