Status
Not open for further replies.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
So it appears the three main methods to connect the NR/R wires are twisting, crimping, and soldering.
Curently I do the twisting method. Needless to say, the crimping and soldering method to me sound like they would be faster.

As far as the twisting method, for me, a con would be that even though I measure the wires and am careful to have the "right" amount of wire in the twists to achieve my desired 1.8-2.4 oHm resistance many times I'm close but not as close as I'd like.

I picked up some silver solder and flux along with a pencil butane soldering iron the other day while at Home Depot. Love Home Depot. Going to try the soldering method first. I don't have any silver wire so I'm going to try the regular .236 oHm NR/wire first.

Would love if those who solder and those who crimp would chime in here with their setups and opinions of either method to include pics. Remember, if there aren't any pics, it didn't happen. :p A pic still speaks a thousand words and would go a long way in support of this thread.

So come on guys and gals, fess up and show us those pics of your crimp/solder setup.

I want to also try the crimping method if I not happy with the soldering method.:laugh:

CarolCrocbag

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2011
Timperley
Still awaiting my silver NR wire from Cooltools three weeks later, apparently I picked the wrong shipping and they failed to notify me of that, despite having my email address. Not very cool.
Ran out of my stock wire over two weeks ago and not been able to use my iAtty since. I will add my opinion and pics of the crimps then.

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I have the SS tubes and crimper, which is a handy tool for the job. But I couldnt use them with out a hemostat to hold the microtube while threading with the wire.
The wire tends to break easier once the tube has been crimped.

I've been twisting and then crimping the twist and cutting off the excess. Its quicker and easier than twisting or crimping are by themselves.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I have the SS tubes and crimper, which is a handy tool for the job. But I couldnt use them with out a hemostat to hold the microtube while threading with the wire.
The wire tends to break easier once the tube has been crimped.

I've been twisting and then crimping the twist and cutting off the excess. Its quicker and easier than twisting or crimping are by themselves.

That's a good idea. The twisting together holds the two different diameter wires in place and then crimp to provide the "hold".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread