Criticized by my smoking mother for vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
I spent the day with my mom today and all she did was criticize me every time I took out my pv, which was only when she lit up a cigarette.

She started by asking me why I'm using that "thing" since nicotine causes cancer:confused:. Did you really just ask me that question??? The more I tried to explain it to her the worse it got. According to her I "look silly and stupid sucking on that thing" :ohmy: LOLOL!! And she said she's going to buy me a pacifier to dip my liquid in and then I can just use it because that's about how I look. She said that nicotine wasn't good for me either. Well neither are those 10 coca colas you drink a day but I'm not telling you to not drink them and vaping is better than the 3000 other things in a cigarette to DO cause cancer. It tastes better than cigarettes, I can breathe again and I don't smell like an ashtray anymore. I told her I'm not asking her to quit smoking, just asking her to accept that I'm NOT going to smoke anymore, I"m going to vape instead. Really wanted to say that I'm a 38 year old grown woman with two children and have been married for 17 years and I don't think I need your approval, but I didn't say that. I just thought on some level she would maybe be proud of me for not smoking anymore, but guess the jokes on me.

Thanks for reading my rant and letting me vent. Figured someone here might understand.

Wow, I hate that for you. It's amazing the things smokers will come up with to defend their smoking and put you down. I don't force my e-cigs on anyone, but I vape openly at work so I hear it a lot. Had a guy come into work the other day, a smoker, telling me that vaping isn't safe. "It causes pneumonia". I explained to him about how it worked and that, in my opinion, it's safer then cigarettes. At the very least you're not going to get lung cancer. He defended smoking saying "people don't always get cancer from smoking, but pneumonia kills people"... I don't understand ...... sometimes, lol!

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
You're doing great...even Moms have their own baggage, and that's what this is. We aren't responsible for our parents, thankfully. Telll me...what would you say if this was your child and you were the mom seeing them stop smoking and vape instead?

First, I would try to listen to their explanation instead of scoffing at it. I would tell them that I was proud that they were doing something positive for themselves. It's kind of hard to think of what I would say since I already know that this is a positive step. I love my mom with all my heart. That being said, she is very critical of a lot of things, even when I got pregnant with both of my kids in my 20's and she wasn't happy.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
My father has never said or indicated that he's proud of me or any of my siblings our entire lives. It does take a toll on you after a while (even at 53). Be proud of yourself for getting off the mokies and keep moving forward. I'd say not to vape in front of her, but it sounds like she'd only pick at something else. Sadly, it doesn't sound like she's a very happy or accepting person, I'm sorry, I know how that feels.........:(

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
First, I would try to listen to their explanation instead of scoffing at it. I would tell them that I was proud that they were doing something positive for themselves. It's kind of hard to think of what I would say since I already know that this is a positive step. I love my mom with all my heart. That being said, she is very critical of a lot of things, even when I got pregnant with both of my kids in my 20's and she wasn't happy.

See? You have the chance to be the mom you want to be with YOUR kids! You aren't responsible for anyone's happiness but your own. You can, however, add some happiness to others' lives, most especially your own children. :)

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
Oh how moms love to sabotage! Its just like when you tell your mom youre on a diet and she then comes over and brings you your fave cake!
Keep up the good work and dont let your mom get ya down. Deep down she may just be jealous.

Hey, not ALL moms do that. I'm very supportive of my daughters in whatever choices they make. Moms walk a very, very fine line. You tell me you're on a diet--what do I say? "I'm proud of you," which you will then take to mean, "It's about time, you fat pig," or "You don't need to lose weight, you're perfect as you are," which you take to mean I don't support your effort. It's not always easy being a mom.

In this case, I do agree that the mom is sabotaging the OP, most likely because she feels threatened by losing her smoking companion. She's probably not ready to quit with e-cigs or anything else, so making fun of the OP makes her feel less guilty about her own smoking. Just my two cents.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You have more support and understanding here on this forum than you'll even need to stay off the stinkies. It's a shame your mom has her attitude, but YOU know what you're doing....and I'd imagine you've been able to tune her out (or had to) about other issues, so do it again. It's a shame because she (as a smoker) COULD join you in this adventure, get excited about it with you, bond big-time over it, and save her own life in the process. But......nnnnnooooooooo! Shame on her and good for you.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
Status