Crown or TFV4? And help with Crown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Been vaping now for years. I love my RDAs when I'm at home, but my work allows for very little of that and it's quite difficult for me to drip while working. So, I've no problems using sub ohm tanks.

I recently purchased SEVERAL Crown tanks, and I'm having the exact same problem with all of them. I get the occasional dry/burn hit. Scratch that, almost constant dry burn. All of my juices are higher PG, so I can't imagine it's a problem there. I'm using the 0.25ohm coils between 72-76watts on 3 different mods, the Sigelei 100+, IPV3Li, and the SnowWolf 200W. Same thing with every single tank. I do have the airflow wide open but when I tried closing it a bet it helped none whatsoever. I've tried changing out to the other 0.25ohm coils that came with them, same thing. Everyone is raving about the quality of these tanks, most of whom are using higher wattage, so I refuse to believe I got several tanks all of which were shipped with ALL bad coils. I'm just curious if anyone has encountered this as well, what they did to fix it, etc... or I'm more than eager to try any suggestions.

Also as the title implies, having this issue with the Crown tank, I'm literally ready to write them off as a waste and go for the TFV4's.... not really, but obviously it is frustrating enough that I'm considering the switch. So I was just wondering if anyone has experience with both, which they prefer or suggest, thoughts on the two, etc.. ?

Any and all input on these two things is greatly appreciated, and don't worry about asking the most obvious questions, you never know when you might be missing something obvious...lol.

Thanks in advance - Finch

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I bought a Crown when they first came out. Haven't had a single problem with any aspect. Been using the .5 coils and 76 VG juice @ 35-50 watts. I can't provide much info on the .25's, only used that coil for a day or two.

Bought another Crown a week ago, it's still in the box unopened, perhaps I'll try it tomorrow using the .25 which came with it.

At 70+ watts using thin juice, that would be the only thing I can think of which might burn the cotton. Potentially evaporating too quickly.

Have you tried lowering the wattage?

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
When I go lower, it really doesn't produce the amount of vapor I'm looking for. The dry burn does continue just not AS much. I actually had similar problems with the 0.5ohm as well at 50watts.

I actually purchased these to be a step up from the VCT Pro tanks. The 0.2ohm coils for the VCT Pro at 66-67 watts produces more vapor than the Crown 0.25s at the same wattage.

The juices tried are all 65pg/35vg ... I would think a higher VG would cause more problems, as I've had high VG be too thick to wick properly, hence the reason I get higher PG.

I don't currently have any access to high VG juice so I don't have any way to try it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
How long did you break the coils in at lower watts?
Some of the reviewers and many ECF members in the Crown threads recommend 24 hours at lower wattage.
I used 45-55 watts for a day, yeah it was weak sauce but now I can chain hit them at 65W as much as I can stand with 70VG and not a scorch note to be had.
I'm using single battery mods so 65W with the .25 coils is ok but they cook along at 80W no problem on my IPV3.
Maybe you torched your coils?

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Any other ideas anyone? The higher VG juice did not help the situation. Currently trying to break one of the two remaining .25 coils I have left in for a day to.see if that works. But given my luck so far I'm trying to get as many ideas as possible... I don't want to write these off as garbage when I know it's got to be an error on my part

Night_mirror

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
Any other ideas anyone? The higher VG juice did not help the situation. Currently trying to break one of the two remaining .25 coils I have left in for a day to.see if that works. But given my luck so far I'm trying to get as many ideas as possible... I don't want to write these off as garbage when I know it's got to be an error on my part
What ratio juice did you use? In my experience this tank absolutely has to have higher vg juice because the coils wick so well.

Night_mirror

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
What ratio was the juice you are using? In my experience this tank absolutely has to have higher vg juice, at least 70. I'm also very careful to prime the coils. I start vaping at 40 watts and go slowly up to 80 or 90 watts, spanning a tank or two in a brand new coil.

The crown is a great tank and I hope it starts to work the way you want it to but in all honesty I haven't picked mine back up since I got the TFV4 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
What ratio was the juice you are using? In my experience this tank absolutely has to have higher vg juice, at least 70. I'm also very careful to prime the coils. I start vaping at 40 watts and go slowly up to 80 or 90 watts, spanning a tank or two in a brand new coil.

The crown is a great tank and I hope it starts to work the way you want it to but in all honesty I haven't picked mine back up since I got the TFV4 3 weeks ago.
Originally I was using 65pg/35vg... after getting the first suggestion, I took one of the .25 coils I had left and used some sample liquids I had received which were the opposite, 65VG. Just like with the higher PG after a few tanks, dry burn kicked in.

Late last night/early morning I got my last fresh coil and tried what was suggested about prepping it, vaped almost a full tank at 40 watts. So far so good but I haven't reached the typical point where dry burn usually kicks in. Also still using the 65VG samples for this test. I order exclusively from one company, they jump from 65VG to 80vg in your options, so would 80vg work good if this method ends up being the solution?

Also, after so many problems with these and how much I loved the 0.2ohm coils in the VCT Pro from Smok, I must admit the TFV4 is extremely tempting regardless. My only hesitation is some of the claims about its juice consumption. I know this is extremely subjective, but how would you compare it's juice consumption to the Crown tank? Like is it significantly more or not really noticeable? I wouldn't think it'd be a lot more if used around the same wattages, but like I said I've heard it really sucks down the juice in comparison so wanted to ask someone who has tried both.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
I was running 80-90% VG with no problems. I hope you getting it working properly.
The difference in juice consumption between the two tanks has been negligible in my experience, maybe a little bit more with the TFV4 but not much. I use about 15 ml per day on either tank.
This last coil using the 65VG samples and prepping the coil at lower wattages just went down. Burn hits again.

I've heard people make some claims about the TFV4's saying they sucked down 30ml in just a few hours. That's what has me terrified of investing in them. With the VCT Pro tanks at around 70watts i.go through about 9ml a day, the Crown (when they've worked) I'd estimate about 16ml a day.

I don't sit there mod in hand at all hours puffing away, nor do I like an overly hot vape so I doubt I'd use much more wattage on the TFV4. I will occasionally take a few nice long pulls but I wouldn't say I chain vape all day.

Are you using the stock triple and quad coils in the TFV4 or the RBA deck?

Night_mirror

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
I'm using the stock triple coil at 100 watts . I vape alot because I'm constantly driving at work and there is no way I go through anywhere near 30 ml per day. I had the same concerns as you as far as juice consumption so I closely monitored how much I was using the first few days and it was about 15 ml per day. I don't DIY but I get some good juice 240 ml for $35 so it's not bad at all. :rickroll:

Last edited:

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Major bummer that any of those 3 Crowns aren't working out for you though. I just don't get it
In the Uwell Crown Tank thread there are like 2, maybe 3, others having the exact same problem, and I mean exact. I could have simply copied and pasted what described adding "me too!" at the bottom it was so spot on. But that's the problem, like 3 or 4 of us and everyone else has no issues whatsoever, hence difficult to troubleshoot.

I did email Uwell with all the details. I'm extremely hesitant in spending any more money on them honestly, with as much as I can't stand not being able to figure it out though it's difficult not to lol!

I asked another owner of both tanks about their experiences in difference in juice consumption, and if they reply back as you did or even remotely close I'll probably order a few TFV4's and then one box of Crown coils just to see if by some snowball's chance in h*ll I managed to get 6 defective coils with my tanks... lol.

Thank you so much for all your input it's GREATLY appreciated.

studip

Mar 28, 2015
Buckeye
Truly, with pretty much any sub tanks coming out from here on (except the occasional mtl), you're going to blow through a ton of juice compared to whatever you're used to consuming. I DIY'd almost from the get-go so I don't really have a vendor addiction... which would be tough... but doing a little of that (or having a friend) would negate the inflated dollars spent.

I do love my crown and feel a little sad to hear issues. None here, but still at 50 watts and under, up from a Subtank Mini.

sethjamto

Sep 16, 2015
Sweet Home Alabama
I've posted in the other thread about the same problem. Doesn't matter how many coils I've tried...Ni200, 0.25, 0.5ohm....burn burn burn is all I get. I break the coils in over a couple/few tanks at lower wattage and then slowly ramp up. I can normally crank the 0.25's up to 70-90 watts and it'll hit like a freight train for several tanks, then BAM. Burnt. No warning what so ever. I'm fed up with it and want to change tanks too....Been looking at the TFV4 as well. Problem is that I LOVE the Crown when it's running properly. I just burn (literally) through coils left and right.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Not a single dry hit in sight, 85w 0.25ohm coil, all I can say is there must be good coils and bad ones out there, I have to say, having vaped both these tanks, with different coils, same juice, side by side vaping, the Crown has better flavor,weighs less which does make a difference on your mod, easier to fill, cheaper coils and is built better. Of course this is just my personal taste and not everyone will agree which is fine. They both guzzle juice like mad, TFV4 more so, you can easily vape 5ml in 45 mins..
With that said, I still love the TFV4, if your having so many problems then for what they cost, lets face it, it isn't much then I'd say get one and try it, the cost lies in the juice though, the TFV4 is a DIY juice tank, I can't imagine buying retail juice for this.

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Been vaping now for years. I love my RDAs when I'm at home, but my work allows for very little of that and it's quite difficult for me to drip while working. So, I've no problems using sub ohm tanks.

I recently purchased SEVERAL Crown tanks, and I'm having the exact same problem with all of them. I get the occasional dry/burn hit. Scratch that, almost constant dry burn. All of my juices are higher PG, so I can't imagine it's a problem there. I'm using the 0.25ohm coils between 72-76watts on 3 different mods, the Sigelei 100+, IPV3Li, and the SnowWolf 200W. Same thing with every single tank. I do have the airflow wide open but when I tried closing it a bet it helped none whatsoever. I've tried changing out to the other 0.25ohm coils that came with them, same thing. Everyone is raving about the quality of these tanks, most of whom are using higher wattage, so I refuse to believe I got several tanks all of which were shipped with ALL bad coils. I'm just curious if anyone has encountered this as well, what they did to fix it, etc... or I'm more than eager to try any suggestions.

Also as the title implies, having this issue with the Crown tank, I'm literally ready to write them off as a waste and go for the TFV4's.... not really, but obviously it is frustrating enough that I'm considering the switch. So I was just wondering if anyone has experience with both, which they prefer or suggest, thoughts on the two, etc.. ?

Any and all input on these two things is greatly appreciated, and don't worry about asking the most obvious questions, you never know when you might be missing something obvious...lol.

Thanks in advance - Finch

freemax starre v2 was bullet proof for me, dropped it 2-3 times, still works like new, coils lasted 1 month easy (i vape apple and grape juices, nice and clear, the way i like it), the v3 comes with an afc drip tip, almost got the starre pro (top fill design, some people had issues with leaking some didn't) but during that time the tfv4 dropped as well and had the feature i wanted such as, top fill design, dual chamber afc (no more burned lips), four cyclops airflow, completely dissembles for cleaning, comes with a huge selection of coils and rba heads (huge !!), it really is the subohm tank to get, not to mention they are coming out with premade clapton coil heads

i dont own the crown but i have watched a few videos of people comparing the crown and freemax starre pro side by side and it is either even (in flavor/vapor production) or one nudges the other over slightly, so in my head they are the same, and usually the pro wins slightly in the videos, the crown would probably win based on the build quality and cheaper coils for purchase but the freemax starre is no slouch either

i have the tfv4 for over a month now and didn't have any bottom o-ring issues like the others, leaked one time for no reason (i figured my tank wasn't screwed in snug), but i have to say for the features and coil selections, this tank is hard to beat

+top afc with dual chambers
+four airflow slots
+top fill design is very easy to use
+almost every type of coil and rba types available to buy (or soon ex. claptons)
+the mini tfv4 is coming out and supposedly shares the coils as the original tfv4
+wicks unbelievably good

-24.5mm in diameter, its a big tank, like and hate it kind of thing, i dont mind it actually
-tank gets hot if you chain vape it
-bottom o-ring is flimsy (buy extras and you're good)
-it guzzles juice if you vape it past 50watts (which tank doesn't lol)
-o-rings feels cheap
-i get charcoal taste or dry hits when my coil goes bad, but its a good thing, i know my coil is bad lol

tfv4 / tfv4 mini = best tank out now imho, great features, unbeatable coil selections, pick up the quads, claptons (ti and ni200 if you want to tc), get extra bottom o-rings, diy your own juices and you're good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread