Crown7 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
You may recall the horrible review that was posted by, as it turned out, some troll, and the owner's reply:
Crown7 said:
I own Crown7 and the post is false. Yes, We get some defective units, but we reply to every email within 3 days and replace every defective unit for free.Thank You,
Ron MacDonald
President
Crown7

Well, Ron lived up to his promise.

I got his E-cig Friday, and have really enjoyed it overall. It's a standard black pen-style model, the same design as E-Cig.

It has a nice easy draw, the smoothest of the five e-cigs I've tried so far. Harder than a real cigarette, of course, but much easier than I had expected.

It produces a good volume of smoke without needing to puff on it, or prime the atomizer, and if you do, you can get a LOT of smoke.

The batteries and the cartridges have, on two occasions so far, both lasted me over 24 hours before being changed or refilled, but I have to admit the smoke was getting a bit thin by then. :)

I only got one flavour, Cherry, but they have about a dozen, and I'm getting more from them now. The Cherry flavour was stronger, and tastier than e-cig's Cherry, which surprised me, since I'd expected it to be the same. But it was still stronger on the tobacco flavour than the cherry.

There were two flaws in the product; the connector on the atomizer was crooked, so the batteries connected at a slight angle, and the auto cut-off, which is normally set at 5 seconds, was set at 3 seconds, on both batteries.

Now, I hesitated to even mentionit, let alone return it. The crooked connector was cosmetic more than anything, and 3 seconds was about how long I usually draw on it anyway. Even with those flaws, I'd have given it a 'B,' maybe even a 'B+'. And I didn't want to have to give it up long enough to send it back and wait for a replacement. :lol:

When I finally decided to send Ron an e-mail, it was past midnight on Saturday, so I didn't expect to even recieve a reply until Monday morning. But within a half hour I had an e-mail inviting me to call his cell to talk about it directly! At half past midnight! On a Saturday! He's not only checking his customer service e-mail account, but is willing to take calls.

Of course, I don't think that's a regular thing, I got lucky. :lol: But it illustrated Ron's whole attitude; he just wants his customers to be happy with his product, his service, and with him, and he will do anything reasonable to do that.

And the service got even better from there. I now have a new atomizer and two new batteries coming, and can return the flawed ones after the new ones arrive, so I won't have to go without. Now that's 'A++' service!

What's more, Ron himself is a great guy, and good to talk to. :cool:

Like I said in another post, the thing to remember on these new toys of ours is that they're still new tech, and we're early adopters. Early adopters always pay a price, and ours is a high failure rate. Since all the e-cigs come from a handful of factories, everyone is in the same boat failure wise, so what sets one seller apart from another is SERVICE. And Ron gets that.

I could have saved a few bucks ordering the same product from E-cig, and if theirs had the same defects, I'd either have to live with them, or pay to ship it back, wait 2-3 weeks for the defective unit to get back to China, and another 2-3 weeks for the new one to get to me. With Ron, I'll have one on it's way first thing Monday.

For this reason, my number one advice to any newbie would be to buy from a local supplier, even if it's a comparative premium. It's abso-f*&%ing-lutely worth it WHEN, not IF, your shiny new unit fails. Oh, and it's just good karma to support a local business anyway. :)

And my number two advice would be to make that local supplier Crown7 (if you're in the US and like his models, that is). The service is absolutly first rate, and then some. Not only does he honor his warranty, he does it eagerly, and doesn't put any burden or inconvenience on you.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Now, that's a fine review. I couldn't agree more, having learned the hard way what it's like to deal with a company on the other side of the globe and that fraudulently brands shipments and won't make good on its mistakes (won't even replace a battery you paid for if it arrives dead and unuseable).

I will buy American in the future, for all my hardware needs. We have a limited choice on liquids, however, and I'll use an American reseller on eBay.

Good to hear Crown 7 was so exceptional for you.

shammy

Apr 11, 2008
Nice review. Here's mine:

I just received my Crown 7 a few weeks ago (13 days after ordering). While I wasn't pleased with the time it took to get from Arizona to Washingon D.C., I am overall happy with the purchase.

As this was my first e-cigarette, it took me a few days to figure the thing out. It seems simple: screw together and smoke it like a cigarette -- but it was everything but perfect at first. I was getting very little vapor and even decided to put it down for a few days as I was unhappy with the performance.

A few days later, I was tinkering with the product and figured that I can create more vapor if I take the white nicotine cartridge inside the mouthpiece out and put it in separately (thus touching the atomizer more than if it was still in the mouthpiece), I got a TON of vapor. This method seems to kick more vapor out for about 4-5 puffs then I just have to repeat the process of pressing the white cartridge against the atomizer again and putting the piece back on.

Overall: there are some design flaws with the product, but being a relatively new item to the market, I can't complain too much. I am sure I will see much improvement over the coming months and years; or in other brands. Crown Seven shipped via DHL and the shipment hadn't even been given to a shipping company for 7 days -- my main complaint would be the time it took to receive the product.

It was mentioned that they reply to ALL e-mails within 3 days: this is a fallacy. I wasn't happy with their lack of responses to my questions.

Customer service: 1/5 stars
Price: 3.5/5 stars
The eCig's performance: 3.5/5

Anyone know of any good places to get cheap, but quality e-liquid?

Minus Sign

May 2, 2008
So far so good for me too. No problems with the device and, even if the cartridges don't last as long as I expected, the expierience for me is one of hopeful anticipation. I did send an e-mail to Crown7 before I joined this forum to talk about "harshness" and received a response fairly quickly. They told me that if I wanted more smoke and a thicker draw, I could just add a drop or two of distilled water into the cartridge. It DOES make my e-cigar billow some clouds when I do; an impressive sight for smokers when i use it near them.
TropicalBob said:
I will buy American in the future, for all my hardware needs. We have a limited choice on liquids, however, and I'll use an American reseller on eBay.

Good to hear Crown 7 was so exceptional for you.
Ditto that. Thus far I've been very happy with the product and their customer service. If Crown7 was offering e-liquid and cores--resale or not--they'd have a perminant customer over here. Too bad we gotta e-bay if we want to deal in america. O well; that'll change ;)

I wonder if they'll be offering anything like the kissbox soon...here's hoping!

May 2, 2008
I have been using my Crown7 for about 3 weeks by now. I should say that I have similar comments about the cigar as others above. I have ordered a cigar type from Crown7.com and some menthol cartridges. It was my first e-cig and my initial experience with it was a comfortably introduction to the world of e-smoking.

I would concur with other users that have posted above, that the shipping was a bit too ... delayed. Even though they shipped the product from AZ after 2 days of ordering, it took nearly 6 days to get to my door. I would say that was the slowest shipment I ever received. Anyways, upon opening the package, which was quite nicely packaged in a small box, I find my cartridges and the kit in a Crown7 box. There was a leak in one of the cartridges in the box, and everything was kind of slimy, so I had to clean up all the items with some tissue paper (.. this gave me the chance to taste the numbing liquid taste everyone keeps talking about .. :mrgreen: ). Well after that, popped a battery into the charger and waited for 4 hrs for the charger light to turn green. Then immediately popped the battery in the cigar and started puffing away.

From the first puff, it bellowed a lot of smoke. As of now, I have hands-on experience with other e-cigs, I can say that the smoke is not a dense white smoke, but instead is a lighter mist with a purplish hint (TropicalBob, tried to get red colored smoke.. I would say this one is at least a bit colored.. :D ). The taste was mild but very pleasant and the menthols had a hint of mint flavoring compared to the regular flavor (that came with the kit). As usual, with many users, on the first day of e-smoking, I was puffing away with for a whole afternoon and then the evening (on just one battery until now) and eventually got a nic overdose and a slight headache. Well, that pretty much assured that the Crown7 cigar was doing its job and the batteries were holding up pretty strong.

I used my cigar for a week, and this pretty much cut my smokes from near to 1/2 pack a day to 1 cig a day or less. Later, I received an order of Electronic Cigarette (mini) and Super Cigarette (mini-mini) from http://www.myecig.com/. I should say the performance of these two cigarettes is a totally different class compared to Crown7 cigar. First of all, the taste of mini-mini is an instant hit.. it has a harsh taste but feels like an actual cigarette in some way. I am sure anyone would get hooked on this for sure. And the mini cigarette works like a fog machine, throwing out bellows of smoke, more than I had expected from it. I eventually stop after one or two short puffs as there is already more smoke than I can handle. I was quite impressed. The battery life on the cigar and mini cigarette go for a whole day of use (and more) and the mini-mini lasts for a day and then I have to recharge it for sure. For some unknown reason, the cartridges of the mini cigarette last longer than my cigar and usually account for 1-1.5 pack of smokes. The mini-mini carts lasts for around 5-6 normal cigarettes.

After two weeks of e-smoking, my Crown7 started to get a lot warmer and it put out lesser and lesser smoke. I e-mailed the customer support and they replied instantly (.. apparently they were even working on a weekend). I was suggested to change the cartridges and fresh battery recharge.. but nothing seemed to work and after another e-mail exchange, I was immediately shipped a new replacement (they sent a whole new cigar .. ). The new one arrived in 5 days and it seems to working good until now. As far as I am concerned, I have had a nice experience dealing with Crown7 and would surely be happy to do business with them again. The cigar may not be bellowing smoke a lot, but I still like it a lot and as suggested a drip of distilled water can do wonders for a few puffs. In addition, the smoke has a quite unique rich flavor not present in the other cigarettes, so I keep puffing on the cigar. I am hoping to try some of their fruity flavors pretty soon and think they would be much better.

Ok, now for the flaws in the cigar that could be changed in the newer version. It is impossible to see the light at the tip even if you tried (unless you are in a dark area). The light is a small red led tucked away in the cigar and compared to the other cigarettes, I don't like it at all. There is no warning blinks for low battery or long puff indication. Also, it would certainly help if the kit included some instructions on the product use and care.

I still haven't started to drip, but I am sure from other users experiences, this would take the cigar to completely another level by itself. For the moment however, I have my other e-cigs that can put out a lot of smoke and I would like to use my cigar for casual smoking (do note that it is heavier being a cigar type and can't use it frequently).

On the overall I would give the Crown7 cigar a 4.0/5.0 (more points to the taste and long battery life). The mini a 4.5/5.0 (more points to amount of smoke and battery life) and the mini-mini a 5.0/5.0 (.. the taste is worth it all and the small form factor also scores).

Minus Sign

May 2, 2008
Since there's already a thread, I hope its alright if I add on instead of posting another review.

One Month With Crown7

Well, I said I'd repost in a month if things went smoothly (or didn't) with my Crown7 e-cigar.

They went well. While I still smoke “the real thing” regularly, I can say that I noticed a drop in the amount of cigarettes I rolled while using it. The device worked as advertised, and I am quite pleased with it. So lets get down to a play by play analysis of how she did, shall we?

Pros:
Price. Most E-Cigs and E-Cigars are quite expensive. For the price, its a good buy.

Solid performance. While your experience may vary, mine has been quite pleasant. I may have babied it a little, but after a month of puffing its still going strong.

Durability. I do admit to having a couple accidents. Dropped it, forgot it was in my pocket and bumped a few drawers closed with my thigh. Everything still works as far as I can tell.

Battery Life. Batteries so far have been long lasting and dependable. The unit came with 2, so its easy to just use 1 all day (they last 24 hours easily) and pop in a fresh one the next day.

Copious Smoke. Nothing like these Next Gen K.I.S.S boxes, but the Crown7 e-cigar produced plenty of visible smoke early in a cartridges life. Drip Smoking created even more, but we'll get into that...now

Drip Smoking Friendly Device. I have to say that Drip Smoking has been by far the most pleasant experience of e-smoking I've had. Big clouds, that burned for about as long as a typical cigarette. 1, sometimes 2(small) drops on the atomizer did the trick, producing a thick, sometimes heady cloud of smoke. And the flavor improved while drip smoking. I did keep a cartridge on hand (typically loaded in the tube) in case I wouldn't have time and a safe place to tinker with my eyedropper. Many products appear to have trouble with this trick. Crown7's e-cigar did a bang up job and the atomizer kept chugging.

Cons:
I still smoke real ones. This is not a failing of the product, but it certainly isn't a plus for it. I noticed that it took longer between cravings to hit while using the Crown7, but the weak nicotine per hit from the cartridges wasn't enough to satisfy my chain smoking lust. A simple solution would probably be to quit completely for a month or so (been there more than a few times), then go to e-smoking instead of hopping back on the cancer wagon. I believe that e-smoking could give me a strong enough hit to satisfy those cravings IF the nicotine levels in my blood were not as high as they are now. I may update with that later.

Shipping. It took quite a while for my e-cigar to get here; almost 3 weeks.

No E-Liquid from this supplier. I've even e-mailed him to ask if they intend to offer the product. No dice. He intends to offer cartridges and cartridges only for his brand (resell or not). So for Drip Smoking, you'll have to get it from ebay or e-cig.com or make your own. I know of no other suppliers at this time.

Cartridges do not last all day without considerable effort on your part. Squeeze em, shake em, pull em out and turn em around with tweezers. Its a hassle really, considering that the cartridges were supposed to work all day. When I want a hit, I don't wanna fiddle with this thing for five minutes, I WANT MY HIT. Make sure you take 2-5 with you if you're going out and swap them out between uses if you intend to use only Crown7 products. I did notice that they would tend to “recharge” themselves if left alone for a day or two, meaning that you could prop them ... up somewhere and the liquid would tend to migrate down to the end where the atomizer touches. Don't do this IN the Crown7 though because...

It leaks. Mine has a tendency to coat the battery over time, which means the e-liquid was dripping through from top...all the way to the bottom. If this is a common issue with E-cigs and cigars, its no surprise to this poster that most don't last long. Electronics+Liquids=A Bad Thing. Dying atomizers may just as easily be caused by an arcing circuit as they are by overheating. Since I have suffered neither, this is only speculation on my part but waterproofing the chambers between the atomizer's innards and e-liquid filled cartridges is a matter of huge concern for e-cig manufacturers and the public that uses them...or it should be!

Expense. Actually, this was a lot more expensive for me to do (for one month) than hand rolling, so I feel obliged to add it. While others who smoke pre-packed cigs regularly will probably see returns on their investment in the first month, for now, e-smoking is almost 4 times as pricey as handrolling. Depending on the life of the unit, and my decision whether or not to upgrade to a better model, that price may change.

Final Thoughts:

This experiment into e-smoking has been more than I expected, and better than I'd hoped. I'm confident when I say I owe much of that to the Crown7 E-Cigar's performance. For those interested in an entry level electronic smoking device, I would suggest the Crown7 e-cigar for both its price and performance.

Thank you for reading.

May 2, 2008
TropicalBob said:
Good, thorough review. Thanks.

BTW: I use my wedding ring to see the light from the tip. Just bring your left hand close to the cigar and take a puff while watching your gold band.

Thanks Bob.. and by the way ... :D he he he .... that's a nice trick you pulled there Bob to get me married.. but I am still happy single.. :mrgreen: .. will update the review in future when I get married.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Wow minus sign- My experience with SmatFixx penstyle ciggs isn't nearly as positive as yours with Crown-7. I'll post my one month update today (It's close enough to a month now) I've been very dissappointed with the SmartFixx pen- batteries do0 n;t last more than 2-3 hours, atomizers crap out very quick, hard to draw, carts aren't lasti9gn very long, seem to dryup quicker when the atomizers start crapping out for soem reason. With a brand new, correctly working atomizer, and frash cart- the carts will last a long time, but in just 2-3 days, things start goign downhill bery quick unfortunately, in my experience.- anyway- will post over in the SmartFixx thread

Cons:
I still smoke real ones. This is not a failing of the product, but it certainly isn't a plus for it. I noticed that it took longer between cravings to hit while using the Crown7, but the weak nicotine per hit from the cartridges wasn't enough to satisfy my chain smoking lust. A simple solution would probably be to quit completely for a month or so (been there more than a few times), then go to e-smoking instead of hopping back on the cancer wagon. I believe that e-smoking could give me a strong enough hit to satisfy those cravings IF the nicotine levels in my blood were not as high as they are now. I may update with that later.

Spot on- good plan- I might try that myself- if I can ever get a penstyle or cigar or pipe that lasts more than two weeks tops- Right now the frustration level with these devices drives me to smoke more- perhaps too much.

Last edited:

shammy

Apr 11, 2008
I just wanted to drop a quick update regarding my Crown Seven review. Looks as though Ron of Crown Seven hopped on my blog and sent me a kind reply. Just in case anyone is interested, here it is:

You can check it out at jasonlutjen.com/blog or read it below:

Jason,

Hello, My name is Ron MacDonald and I own Crown7.

I saw your post and wanted to comment, but the post is closed to comments.

Your post deserves a reply on my part.

First off, sorry for the delay in shipping.

We were going through extreme growing pains and shipping was getting backed up as well as back orders on a few different products.

Crown7 has successfully fixed those issues for now and we are working hard to keep them from happening again.

Our emails are answered most of the time now within 24 hours except on weekends.

As with any new product, there are a few flaws that need to be worked out, we believe the quality control is at a higher level now than in the past.

I just got back from China yesterday (Saturday), from a 6 day trip to look at different manufacturers as well as our manufacturer.

After this trip, I am very confident that our products are better made and at a better price than any of our competitors.

Cheaper is definitely not always better.

Crown7 has a few new products coming out within the next 2 months that will be incredible for our current and future customers.

Sincerely,
Ron MacDonald
President/CEO

It can also be noted that Crown Seven is releasing a new e-cig in the coming weeks as well as some other products. Perhaps something to look forward to.

I hope to post some reviews of the products as they come out. I am still using my Crown7 e-cigarette frequently (as I type this even).

Zippitydoo

Moved On
Aug 6, 2008
  • Deleted by RatInDaHat
  • Reason: spam
I just bought my Crown 7 Friday 3/6/09 and I am reading a lot of reviews on how long it took to ship. I live in south Texas and theres something wrong if it does not get to me in a week from AZ. I have also seen that it takes 24-72 HRS before people get a tracking number. Don't most companies give you one as soon as you order|?...I guess what I am trying to say is am I going to be disappointed in the product when it gets to me if I end up waiting over a week. (The product that I ordered was the Hydro cig.)

Smokin'

Mar 6, 2009
I just bought my Crown 7 Friday 3/6/09 and I am reading a lot of reviews on how long it took to ship. I live in south Texas and theres something wrong if it does not get to me in a week from AZ. I have also seen that it takes 24-72 HRS before people get a tracking number. Don't most companies give you one as soon as you order|?...I guess what I am trying to say is am I going to be disappointed in the product when it gets to me if I end up waiting over a week. (The product that I ordered was the Hydro cig.)

I'm in Michigan, and we'll see. I just ordered mine moments ago.

I wonder what wouldn't be considered an "entry level" eCig..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread