The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cthulhu Hastur MTL RTA Reviews Thoughts and tips

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Sed8op8, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Sed8op8

Sed8op8 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 6, 2016
    Hastur MTL RTA – CTHULHU MOD -Top Innovations for Vaping

I know some people had a mixed reaction to the Cthulhu MTL however even though it had it's quirks it's still one of my favorite Budget MTL RTAs and looking at the design of this one I must say I am pretty excited. Due to the new raised deck leaking should not be an issue and I love the styling and the fact they kept it fairly compact. I will update this thread as reviews are released and will most likely do my own review once I am able to get one in hand

<3 MTL <3

• Like Like x 6
  2. ian91

ian91 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2013
    Westbank, BC Canada
    Where did you order this from?

3. Jim-

Jim- GCS E (1) + V (1) + M (1) = 3 Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I still have a pair of these RTA's (V1) and really like them once I have done a lil air flow modification. They just did not provide a tight enough draw for me right out of the box. I have become a fanboi of the Berserker and Siren 2 though. They both have really hit the mark on budget MTL vaping.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks interesting. The only problem I have with it, like any of this style, is that you have to take the tank apart to get to the coil. Still, will wait to see reviews and see how it goes :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sed8op8

Jan 6, 2016
    You mean to say it's not a 3pc tank ? If so yes it appears you will have to be very careful if you need to access the deck while it's filled with juice. It can be a pain but it's doable and for me very worth it to utilize the suspended deck layout.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have never used one before. What are the advantages of the suspended deck design Sed8op8?

7. Sed8op8

Jan 6, 2016
    De
    Dead easy wicking and it's very hard to screw it up to the point where it leaks or dry hits. I like the suspended deck design because the wicking works so well it creates a very moist flavorful Vape. There are drawbacks such as difficulty adjusting the build after there is juice in the tank and also having to decide on how far you want the wicks to drop but the pros far outweigh the cons imho

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nailz

Nailz Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Looks like the digiflavor siren to me :)

9. MMW

MMW Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    I am of the opinion that suspended decks never need a juice flow control, which is why they do them.

10. DP2Raja

DP2Raja Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    New Mexico
  11. Nailz

Nailz Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    No it's a 24mm atty.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sed8op8

Jan 6, 2016
    I just found out they are releasing more optional airflow discs so this Lil guy should be quite versatile and I think thats where this is going to shine compared to the Siren V2 and beserker. I have both and they are great for the money don't get me wrong I am just like a little school girl when it comes to MTL attys and the layout and compactness of this (while still holding 3.5ml) is going to be a nice addition to our options. hmr-10-1024x576.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. maibol

maibol Full Member

Oct 24, 2017
  14. maibol

maibol Full Member

Oct 24, 2017

15. Sed8op8

Jan 6, 2016
    So I got mine in and I don't want to jump the gun so I am going to wait til I try some more of the inserts and a couple other builds and I am also waiting on a new camera on the China slow boat so this post will be updated with photos as soon as possible. The box it comes in is beautiful and I love the fact it comes with multiple restrictors. The design aesthetics are different then I expected but classy it comes with a clear tank and a frosted one (both the same size) 2 amberish colored driptips both 510. One very restricted one with a standard size bore. The decks coil mounting system is almost like the Serpent SMM where it doesn't matter which way your coils wrapped you can install it either legs up or down.

One thing I'm absolutely in love with is the fill system. It's a Bayonet styled fill system that does not use threads. You push down and spin until the tabs lock and it's extremely easy and requires almost no effort. In MTL tanks gurgling caused from the pressure of screwing down your fill cap is a real problem and this design pretty much eliminates this altogether.

The airflow on the bottom of the tank is a cyclops style and is very smooth and locks from turn to turn. I have found airflow adjustment is less important I'm tanks that use airflow restrictors but it's nice to have.

Now it comes with airflow disks or tabs similar to the old Cthulhu MTL RTA or for example the Augvape Merlin series. 5 of them to be exact and they range from a 2.5mm restricted lung hit to a very tight old school MTL draw that will leave even the most hardcore MTL vapor happy. I have found the 1mm and 1.6mm to be my faves and I think it's nice that they include something for everyone.

The chamber of the deck is nice and reduced due to the smm styled raised posts with the coil channel sitting in between and it results in very good flavor. Now I haven't been vaping on this that long and have only run 2 builds so I am a little hesitant to make comparisons until I have more time with the RTA but initial testing is good and on par with my Digiflavor Siren V2.

At first I was a bit thrown by the aesthetics of the RTA but the more time I spend with it the more I like it. One thing I absolutely do not love though is a space between the top of the fill cap and and a sqaure design peice I'm sure is there for grip. It still could have been functional without the gap but this is a purely subjective niggle/con and is no way performance related.

All in all this is a great and versatile MTL offering from Cthulhu and definitely succeeds in fixing some of the gripes people had with there previous MTL tank while offering something a bit more classy or elegant compared to all of the other flashy Chinese made RTAs that are all the rage now.

Edit
    Will be updating post with pictures when my new camera arrives

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. ricks

ricks Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Looks and sounds interesting. We need more MTL tanks. I only wish it held more liquid. I'm getting used to tanks that hold 5ml...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sed8op8

Jan 6, 2016
    Hey there folks
    After some time testing I actually think the flavor is better in this Hastur then the Siren v2 due to the smaller chamber size and the ability to control the size of the air hole directly under the coil. The aesthetics of the Hastur are really my only niggles with it and i find myself grabbing for it more then my beserker, Hussar or KF Prime

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. ToolmanTexas

ToolmanTexas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Great info in here @Sed8op8, I'm going to be picking up 1 of each of these new MTL RTAs (Siren V2, KF Prime, Berserker) during black Friday time and have now added the Hastur to the list! Appreciate your detailed comments.

The under coil air flow options is the big seller here IMO and I was surprised the other competitors didn't do similar. Airflow UNDER the coil is more important than the AFC on the outside for MTL flavor and vape.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. ToolmanTexas

ToolmanTexas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Compared to the Berserker (looks like a baby's bottle), KF Prime or even the Siren V2 I think the Hastur looks the best of all them, just looking at pics so far.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Vikram

Vikram Full Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Thanks for this @Sed8op8. I'm a big fan of the Siren (1 and 2) and when you said this is equal if not better, that really got me sitting up and paying attention. I only have one mod that'll sit a 24mm though, so maybe I'll also get...

I could have sworn I read somewhere that vaping was going to save me money. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.