Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
This isn't a problem type of question, just a curiosity one. I'm just getting into this, and one of my three flavors so far is single flavor English Toffee, using Nature's Flavors. So far very good, though I'm going to try adding a bit of vanilla to the next batch.

What's got me curious, though, is that it is clear when mixed and gradually turns a kind of pinkish brown over the first week. There is also an improvement in the flavor at about the same rate, mostly more complexity. Steeping, I know, as far as the flavor. But what causes the color change? My Earl Grey Tea also starts out clear and the flavor changes some, but the color doesn't change. So why would one flavor change color but not the other one?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Nic oxidation is unlikely to be causing the color change in a newly mixed liquid. Otherwise your nic solution will also change color simultaneously in its original bottle - unless of course the added flavorings accelerate nicotine oxidation. Another possibility might be some type of chemical reaction between the nic and the flavorings. I hope that is not the case since we do not know what new chemicals are born from that reaction.

Last edited:
Actually, this is a very complex and difficult question. What causes different colors with metals is pretty straightforward, assuming one is proficient in general chemistry, but apart from the typical oxidation and reduction states of elemental metals, things get messy really fast. I would also much appreciate input on this question from anyone that understands this kind of wet chemistry.

I did find a somewhat straightforward discussion here: http://www.ias.ac.in/resonance/Volumes/06/03/0066-0075.pdf but it did not really answer the question for me. It does however provide some insight into the complexity of this question.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Thanks. The one that makes the most sense to me is in that last article where they mention the acidity of the nicotine reacting with particular flavors. I can't see it being oxidation when I make two flavors on the same day and a week later one has changed color and the other is completely clear.

Thanks. The one that makes the most sense to me is in that last article where they mention the acidity of the nicotine reacting with particular flavors. I can't see it being oxidation when I make two flavors on the same day and a week later one has changed color and the other is completely clear.

I know what you are talking about; as one example, I add 3% of a single flavor (that is a clear liquid) to my base solution (which is also a clear liquid), and I have a clear liquid that eventually becomes a deep reddish brown, while unflavored e-juice that is exactly the same age, nic strength, etc. remains clear. It seems likely that pH change is the mechanism, but exactly what components of the mixture are changing in a way that causes the color change is unknown to me.

The chemistry of color is one of the most fascinating and difficult subjects I have been exposed to. So thanks for posting this question, since I have been wondering the same thing, but felt it was too much to ask in a non-academic setting. And if anyone can shed more light on this question, there are at least a few of us that would like to hear more.

SirLoki

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2014
Vail,AZ,USA
Guys you are getting the right answer but the wrong component. It is most likely oxidation, and yes some small portion of it may well be nic oxidation, but especially with the flavor specific color changes, it is mostly due to differing levels of oxidation to other chemicals used to make the flavors themselves. Since some flavors have more off certain chemicals than others they will oxidize more and give the deeper colors.

Like custards and many sweet flavors get a nice dark brown after a few weeks but some fruity or tropical flavors only go to a medium pink. I have a bottle of Coconut that is 3-4 weeks old right now and is only a pinkish orange but at 3-4 days my Hot Buttered Rhum went from golden brown to damn near black. Very different flavor types made with very different chemicals, so obviously they oxidize drastically different.

Big realization for most people is all those nifty food safe flavors we use are ( excepting essential oil flavors) usually between 200-500 chemicals mixed in a lab.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Nic oxidation is unlikely to be causing the color change in a newly mixed liquid. Otherwise your nic solution will also change color simultaneously in its original bottle - unless of course the added flavorings accelerate nicotine oxidation. Another possibility might be some type of chemical reaction between the nic and the flavorings. I hope that is not the case since we do not know what new chemicals are born from that reaction.

i believe it to be nic oxidization. i believe the reason why the large bottle of nic doesnt yellow at the same rate is that its simply a larger volume of liquid, needing much more oxygen to show a yellowing effect. plus with a mixed batch of juice, youre always opening the bottle, exposing it to more air either to encourage steeping, smelling the juice, or to drip the juice.

...but you do have a good point about certain flavorings changing color more dramatically than others. #iamnotascientistlol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread