Curiously Strong Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
Ok, my husband desired more power...as all men do (right?). He can't taste flavors like us...so we decided...MORE POWER!

Ok, so I took an altoids container, and got to playing...and here's what I came up with. If anybody wants the wiring schematic, just let me know, I'll scan my drawing. Other than that, I thing that using a 9v was bad because the mAh is so low. So, I'm gonna order the batteries from dealextreme that are the size of AA but are 3.7v...and I'm going to put them in an adapter that makes 2AA hook up to a 9v battery clip... That will make the mAh multiply by 10 or more...and then it will be good. Otherwise, it will probably only last as long as a mini e-cig battery.

There is an LED, a momentary switch, and then a voltage regulator going to the atomizer regulating the volts to only 5v. I can provide a parts list if necessary as well. Also, the button on the back was his request, there is no on/off switch, so it can be triggered on accident...so next time, we will go ahead and put one on (we didn't this time because we figured it was enough tackling an LED and a voltage regulator, neither of which I have ever tried before). One step at a time....one step at a time.

So now, without further adieu...here is
the "curiously strong vape"

Oh, and if you are wondering why I used a 9v knowing that I could just wire two 3.7v together...it's all about living in a tiny town and not having the patience to wait for shipping. So, until our new batteries come in, the 9v it is.

Also, I apologize for the blur, the tin really is brand new...the mints got dumped...more like the curiously WIERD mint...meant to get cinnamon...oops. I still have just a 3.5 megapixel camera...living in the stoneage. :(

Last edited:

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
That's a neat design. I really like the prebuilt hinged tin and the voltage regulator. Do you know the part numbers for the regulator? I may have to dabble with it.

I would recommend putting the button up top near the atomizer - it makes the odds of it getting depressed accidentally drop to near zero (the atomizer acts like a shield hood) and negates the need for a separate on/off switch.

Last edited:

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
planetofthevapes, you are picking this all up quite quickly. Soon you will be posting detailed schematics of intricate electronic devices that I cannot understand. Keep it up, lady. I love that the ladies are starting to get involved here and are doing cool stuff to further the research and the creativity. It is refreshing and empowering.:D

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
(planetofthevapes, you are picking this all up quite quickly. Soon you will be posting detailed schematics of intricate electronic devices that I cannot understand. Keep it up, lady. I love that the ladies are starting to get involved here and are doing cool stuff to further the research and the creativity. It is refreshing and empowering.)

All thanks to you Nico!!! You encouraged us all and made us believe we could do it. No stopping us now!

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
(planetofthevapes, you are picking this all up quite quickly. Soon you will be posting detailed schematics of intricate electronic devices that I cannot understand. Keep it up, lady. I love that the ladies are starting to get involved here and are doing cool stuff to further the research and the creativity. It is refreshing and empowering.)

All thanks to you Nico!!! You encouraged us all and made us believe we could do it. No stopping us now!

Absolutely! Nico, you helped us all out! Today, I shall tackle...the MAGNUM! LOL. You know...when we smoked analogs, we didn't go and try every single one, we bought the same thing every time...now with vaping...we buy everything, we wanna make different ones, we wanna try different flavors! OMG, I'm going insane...I'm up to my ears in e-cigs!

The main reason why I chose a 9v...even though it has low mAh, other than the fact that I don't have any batteries from DealExtreme to replace it yet...is because somebody told me I couldn't last week. And ever since, I wanted to prove him wrong...guess what...I did! I told him I wanted to use a resistor to lessen the power but he kept saying "you just can't use a 9v, you'll fry the atomizer right away." Don't tell a woman she can't...because she will! :)

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
The main reason why I chose a 9v...even though it has low mAh, other than the fact that I don't have any batteries from DealExtreme to replace it yet...is because somebody told me I couldn't last week. And ever since, I wanted to prove him wrong...guess what...I did! I told him I wanted to use a resistor to lessen the power but he kept saying "you just can't use a 9v, you'll fry the atomizer right away." Don't tell a woman she can't...because she will! :)

The curiously strong woman behind the curiously strong vape. Me likey! Some of the best things I have done in life were done because someone told me I couldn't.;)

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
LOL, nico, you rock.

Below I'm pasting my instructions...if they make any sense! :)

-------------------

wiringschematicsforaltoid.jpg

Ok, I couldn't find a 390 ohm resistor, so I went to the next highest thing which was a 470 at my radio shack, part # 271-1317 but depending on the batteries that you use, it might be different, please use this as areference Current limiting Resistor calculator for leds

And, I actually did the math for a red LED that I already had, but my husband picked up the green one...so...the resistor could be changed. It definetely won't burn out, it's resisted for an LED that takes 1.5v and the green one can take up to 2.1 so it's definetely over resisted, but no worries!

The switch I used was SPST-mini momentary pushbutton switch part #275-1547

The voltage regulator to set this application at 5v is part #276-1770. Remember, this does not work like a resistor, no matter what your power source is, it will always put out a max of 5v (less if it's not fed a full 5v).

Then the LED my husband requested (like I said, not the one I did the math for, but it was too late to go back to radio shack) was part #276-069B . The thing that I have learned about LEDs is, if you are to use one kind of resistor, and you use a higher number, it won't hurt anything, it'll just further restrict the power going to it. This will improve the life of your LED. If you use the calculator and cannot get the resistor that you need, go the next HIGHEST number, not the next LOWEST. If you don't put a big enough resistor on, the LED could get too much power and could either blow immediately or a lot sooner than it should. When resisted properly, an LED can last for like...FOREVER!

I put purple dots where all the solder joints were.

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
I learn by reading the forums! I have had no previous electrical knowledge until I did my nicostick a few weeks ago. All I know is things need positive and negative...and atomizers don't like 7+ volts. My husband wanted more power, so I just said we're gonna use a 9v...then I just had to make a decision of resistor or voltage regulator...the regulator was the obvious choice because there was no math involved :) ROFL.

Thank you guys very much for your praise!

I was gonna do my magnum mod today but I don't have any 100 ohm resistors and I have a feeling that my 470s will be WAY to big...then the LED won't want to light up. :( I suppose I can just hold it all together with my fingers and find out eh?

EDIT: Even though the math for my mag says that I would need a 90 Ohm resistor for the LED that I picked out, it works fine with a 470...just night blinding like other LEDs. So, yes, it works...if only the flashlight was a bit easier to drill through...LOL.

Last edited:
I learn by reading the forums! I have had no previous electrical knowledge until I did my nicostick a few weeks ago. All I know is things need positive and negative...and atomizers don't like 7+ volts. My husband wanted more power, so I just said we're gonna use a 9v...then I just had to make a decision of resistor or voltage regulator...the regulator was the obvious choice because there was no math involved :) ROFL.

Thank you guys very much for your praise!

I was gonna do my magnum mod today but I don't have any 100 ohm resistors and I have a feeling that my 470s will be WAY to big...then the LED won't want to light up. :( I suppose I can just hold it all together with my fingers and find out eh?

When a gifted person creates an invention or a piece of art they think it's simple enough for everyone to be able to do it.

When you talk of resistors and voltage regulators and so on and so forth, my mind shuts down. LOL

I think you are very fortunate to be given a gift of understanding in this area. I'm still jealous. ;)

Sharon, have you tried a nicostick yet? That's what got me understanding the basics...from there, I just played a bit.

I just got lucky is all. I had no idea when I drew out that diagram if it would work or not, no idea at all.

LOL, no, what is a nicostick?

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
I applaud your tech. savy, but you have to remember that no matter what electrical componets you use you will have loss throuth these componets. robing precious voltage and amperage. Led not somuch but the voltage reg.:evil:

I understand that...but as I also stated, my mod will not stand up to hours of use anyways, because a 9v has 120-150 mAh...which is crap! Hence why I'm gonna kick things up and change the batteries and use a snap adapter so I don't have to change my wiring or aything. Once again, I know my battery choice was very odd...I have little patience for waiting weeks! And, i realized that if I wanted more voltage with regular batteries from a store, I would have to use more than 4 aa's or aaa's, and the device would be huge, i didn't want that. So yes, it probably does take away some of my volts and amps, but I'm ok with that. Thank you for pointing that out.
----------------------------
Sharon, look under battery mods and look at nicos sticky at the top about the nicostick. Nico explains it all there, it's very easy to understand it. If you need any help, I know that I am more than willing to help you and I'm sure nicowolf is as well! There are lots of us that would be glad to help you!

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
----------------------------
Sharon, look under battery mods and look at nicos sticky at the top about the nicostick. Nico explains it all there, it's very easy to understand it. If you need any help, I know that I am more than willing to help you and I'm sure nicowolf is as well! There are lots of us that would be glad to help you!

+1 on that. I will help in any way I can in any thread I can. And I do not mind folks offering help on my threads.

+1 on that. I will help in any way I can in any thread I can. And I do not mind folks offering help on my threads.

Nicowolf, I went and read quite a bit on your device. Your warnings in themselves scare me. I just don't think I have the guts to try and figure out batteries, etc. But I did bookmark the thread and will study it more later.

That's quite a gift you gave others, the instructions. Maybe I'll get brave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread