Current state of regulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PasoFino

Feb 6, 2020
Arizona, USA
Hi! I’m new to this forum and I’ve been searching and having a hard time finding the information I need. Can anyone just tell me what the current state is on legality of vaping products and what I should be worried about. For example should I stock up on both nicotine and PG/VG now? Yesterday?mods and tanks? I hear talk of the deeming regulations but I’m not sure when they’re supposed to happen or what is going on currently. Thank you!

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Stock up on nic now. If you don't have much gear buy some good products in the clearance sales. If you don't build wouldn't hurt to buy a few rebuildables anyway incase stock coils get hard to acquire. PG, VG, flavors, wire, and wick will be available regardless of deeming. May 12, 2020 is the date for deeming regulations being released.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

PasoFino

Feb 6, 2020
    Arizona, USA
    Stock up on nic now. If you don't have much gear buy some good products in the clearance sales. If you don't build wouldn't hurt to buy a few rebuildables anyway incase stock coils get hard to acquire. PG, VG, flavors, wire, and wick will be available regardless of deeming. May 12, 2020 is the date for deeming regulations being released.
    Thank you!
    I don’t build coils. I have nautilus minis (and a GT on order) and a zenith tank. Are there rebuildable coils that will fit either of those?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Can anyone just tell me what the current state is on legality of vaping products and what I should be worried about. For example should I stock up on both nicotine and PG/VG now? Yesterday?Mods and tanks?

There is no shortage of threads on this form about this subject. You have a lot to read and not a whole lot of time (most likely). Why? Even if nothing happens at the federal level for years (but the ax is supposed to drop this May), the states are banning and restricting and taxing vape more an more these days.

I can't and won't go into legalities and specifics other than that. Not needed IMHO. You see what's happening.You asked the question. the wheels are turning. :D

Vape is the devil. War has been declared. The writing's on the wall...

Stock up on nic: Even if something happens and deeming regs are held off, there is a good chance that Nicotine base and salts will be taxed such that a liter will cost thousands of dollars.

Heartlandvapes.com is having a sale again. 1L of 100mg nic base (pg or vg base - their house brand) is $10 off. That's $35/ liter. Buy 4 or more in one shot and it's $33/liter. Shipping is free over $50. No coupon code needed, discount is in the cart when you checkout. Sale ends tomorrow night.

However if money's not an issue, then you can buy the expensive stuff from wherever you like. It's your call.

How much nic do you need: Here's a helpful calculator...
    Vaping Community e-liquid Calculator - Vapocalypse Calculator

As far as hardware, well, it's gonna get expensive if you don't have much on hand already.

Tanks: Your best bet is to mostly build your own coils on RTAs or Hybrids (clearomizer tanks that have a rebuildable section which essentially turns the thank into an RTA). Of course, RDAs are an option if you're a dripper or squonker even if only part-time - otherwise not much need for those except for maybe DIY juice tasting/sampling. You'll also need spare parts for your tanks/RDAs. Like glass, maybe screws, special orings/seals, etc. Screws this small are hard to measure so i disagree with people who say screws can be bought anywhere. Yeah, find the right one with the proper thread courseness/spacing. been there. Not easy, they don't sell the screws you need at the local hardware store where you can see it "in person". I digress...

Factory coils (drop-in coils): can be hoarded, of course, but it's expensive. Sure, you can chase the sales, but that might mean you let the sales dictate what you vape. This may not work out for you. If you want to go that route, don't buy a bunch of different tanks and pods. You want to focus on just a few, but many of them. Otherwise you have to buy coils for a whole bunch of different tanks/pods. Not to mention other spare parts. Personally, I say forget pod systems, they don't have replaceable batteries. This is my opinion. The ones that use replaceable batteries are, IMHO, erroneously called "pod systems". They are more like AIO systems than pod systems. These may be a better choice if you want a "pod system". It's you're call ultimately, obviously.

A word on parts:
    if you can find a tank you like (or RDA) for dirt cheap, it may be cheaper just to buy a boat load of that tank/RDA with the intention that some of them will just be used for spare parts for the ones you will be actually using. It could be cheaper this way, but takes a lot of time to find deals (of course, there are threads and people here to help - regardless it still takes time).

Mods: forget mods that have built-in batteries. You have to focus on replaceable battery mods, preferably ones that take both 18650 and 21700 batteries. I won't get into why, but at least make these half of your stash. That's my opinion.

Good luck.

PS: You mentioned PG and VG. I see no reason to stock up on that. Same with wire & cotton (or other wicking materials). That stuff is used for a ton of other things. It was around way before vaping. It probably can't effectively be banned or taxed to death as long as you buy it from non-vape retailers - there are plenty of them. But anything's possible, I guess. However, if you were to stockpile everything like that, you'll have to take out a mortgage on your house. You have to focus on the stuff that can only be bought from vape vendors (tanks [RTAs or hybrids], RDAs [if you drip/squonk] mods, nic, and spare parts [don't forget spare parts!]).

Last edited:

PasoFino

Feb 6, 2020
    Arizona, USA
    Thank you so much UncleJunkle!! Do you have any suggestions for an easy starter rebuildable coil and tank for someone who has never done that? I am just overwhelmed by the information when I tried to research this online. For reference I currently own MTL setups (nautilus and Zenith) but I use them as a RDL with tighter airflow. I’ve read that the nautilus coils can be rebuilt but they say it’s not easy. Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I bought the kit off eBay over a year ago was on sale for $25 because it was the colour green,I bought 2 of them..

it’s heavy it’s
    Like a brick in your pocket..but for $25 bucks it was a steal
    Eleaf sell the coils for it,only place I can find

Thank you so much UncleJunkle!! Do you have any suggestions for an easy starter rebuildable coil and tank for someone who has never done that? I am just overwhelmed by the information when I tried to research this online. For reference I currently own MTL setups (nautilus and Zenith) but I use them as a RDL with tighter airflow. I’ve read that the nautilus coils can be rebuilt but they say it’s not easy. Thanks in advance!!
    Probably the most popular, simple, dependable, and affordable is the SXK Doggystyle. There are whole threads on it. It's an amazing value for ten bucks. SXK DOGGY STYLE.

I've never had to replace a single part on any of them, and they're cheap enough that you can do what UncleJunkle said, and just use extras for parts if/when you need them.

$10.79 SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + PC / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Free Shipping
    upload_2020-2-14_8-58-37.png

Coil wire and wick are super cheap. I like 28ga 316L stainless. For wick, I like Koh Gen Do, because it comes in a flat pad, and you can consistently cut the correct size for your coil- probably the easiest to use for a beginner. It's more difficult to consistently separate other cottons, rayon, etc.

Building an rta and making diy juice may seem daunting at first, but really- anyone can do it. Good luck!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Thank you Brewdog! I just started DIY juice and so far best decision Ive ever made. Don’t know why I waited this long. I’ll probably feel the same about RTS’s someday, lol!
    I got one of these, too- they don't have the blue ones anymore. Makes it super simple, perfect coils.
    $5.89 Coil Master 3-in-1 E-Cigarette Wire Coil Winder - fuchsia / 2 + 2.5 + 3mm poles at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Watch a few videos, try it yourself, and after building a half dozen, you'll be an expert. Doggy is extremely forgiving. I think I spend about $5.00/yr. on coils & wick.
    upload_2020-2-14_9-44-48.png

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    So if I order this Doggystyle are there any essential spare parts I should get besides spare tanks? Or is it just easier to order a bunch of entire units? How long do they last on average before parts wear out/need replacement? I need a RTA for dummies apocalypse starter kit, lol.
    Well, I've never had to replace a doggy part, and they're cheap enough to scavenge units for parts. But you could get orings, etc. if you want. Other parts too, I guess- you can go thru the thread I posted and probably find posts dealing with it.

• Useful
    Reactions: PasoFino

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Thank you!
    I don’t build coils. I have nautilus minis (and a GT on order) and a zenith tank. Are there rebuildable coils that will fit either of those?
    Not that I'm aware of. Have read Aspire is going to release a rba for nautilus soon. VaporDNA has the Silverplay rta for 14.99 and most weekends has a 40% off code for clearance items, wouldn't hurt to take a look and add a couple to the stash.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Okay, you made me look. You can find replacement tanks at Fasttech, too. But other than the threading on the tank, and orings, I can't imagine having to replace anything other than screws. But here's some replacement insulators, about the only other thing that could wear out/break:
    $4.25 Replacement Post Insulator for Doggy RTA Atomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - PEEK at FastTech - Free Shipping

Here are replacement tanks
    $6.32 Replacement PC Tank for Doggystyle Doggy RTA Atomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Free Shipping

Just be aware that there are a few different clone versions of the Doggy. Most popular was SXK (then SJMY). Other parts may not fit SXK , but the ones I've posted do.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Can anyone just tell me what the current state is on legality of vaping products and what I should be worried about.
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    If you are using nicotine, two suggestions may merit your concern.
    1. Vape only zero nicotine e liquid ----- long term best solution.
    2. I would stock up a 2 year supply of liquid nicotine.
    re: Best Practices for Storing Nicotine Liquid
    If you have additional questions suggest using the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Google and You Tube can be also great informational sources.

PasoFino

Feb 6, 2020
    Arizona, USA
    Thanks everybody! I did do some pre searches but with threads tending to wander at 600 pages long, I was looking for the easy way out! I much appreciate the answer to my question and info on RTAs that I will now look into further. I ordered 3 years worth of nic this morning at my current levels, and hoping to cut down so it should last longer. Also ordered 4 oz amber glass bottles to break it down into before I freeze it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread