ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Customized, frequent emails show promise in tobacco cessation
Study shows success rates rivaling medication

Date: May 18, 2017
Source: American Cancer Society
Summary: Smokers who received frequent, tailored emails with quitting tips, motivational messages, and social support had cessation rates rivaling that of the most effective medication available for cessation.

Unnoted is the cessation rates for those who frequent ecigarette forums, exchanging tips, techniques and general comradary with others there. The success rate for those using this technique is thought to wildly exceed the most effective medications. : )

Anyway...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170518143824.htm

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Those abstinence rates, "smokers getting the custom emails (34%), followed by receiving three or four emails (30.8%), and a single email (25.8%)" strike me as unrealistically high.
When I was smoking I would have supported simply banning the sale of cigarettes. That would have worked for me even though I was a tough case. What would make more sense is allow only loose tobacco, everybody has to role their own. Then make vape stuff tax free and encouraged.

To say emailed encouragement rivals the traditional quit aids isn't saying much. They don't work and when they do most relapse eventually. The FDA is never going to approve anything that works. They are all about treatments not cures.

Reactions: Foggy Road
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread