Cut Down Your Steeping Time Drastically - No Heat, No Ultrasonic, No Crockpot !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
This simple milk frother from iKea is all you need. It cut down my steeping time from one MONTH to one WEEK on a tobacco flavor notoriously hard to steep. You may even get instant results depending on your mix. You will need an oversized bottle with plenty of air overhead. Air is the key - not heat.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can validate my results. Please post your impressions as you get them. Thanks everyone.

Here is exactly what I did:

I mixed up 150 ml of juice in a bottle with a 1.5 inch opening and 2 inches of air overhead.
Stirred the juice a total 5 times, one minute each, at 5 minute intervals.
Repeated a second day.
For the next 5 days, I shook the bottle by hand approx 1 minute.

My juice was ready and tasting perfect in one week. Could have been sooner since I didn't bother to check earlier.

This device is cheap and convenient.

produkt-milk-frother-black__0327347_PE518226_S4.jpg

Last edited:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
That sounds pretty good results!

Have you done a test where you make your tobacco mix normally, leave for three weeks then make another batch (same flavour) and perform your method on the 2nd batch so that they will both be ready at the end of week 4?
Then obviously a side by side comparison can be experienced to gauge the progress.

I certainly agree on the principal of your method, I do a budget version of your method, just using 100ml bottle for a maximum of 60ml of juice. Shaking twice daily until opaque (30 seconds usually). I am not sure how much time it saves (maybe half or a third).
I will certainly be investing in one of these milk frothers and some bigger vessels.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
I use a milk frother as well. I've done an experiment where I mixed up a batch which I split into 2 and I used the frother to draw air into the mixture with the result of potentially oxidising the nic and other ingredients on one, and used the frother to mix but without drawing air into the mixture for the other.

The result was that the batch that had air drawn into it tasted more complex and therefore more satisfying than the batch with no air in it. I'm guessing that there are more compounds (oxides) in the aerated mixture which explains the more satisfying taste. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Sewknitty

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I used the frother to draw air into the mixture with the result of potentially oxidising the nic and other ingredients

If Nic oxidation is a concern, you can always add the nic at the end, after using the frother. I personally do not believe it is a big factor. It takes weeks/months for oxidation to occur - not days. As for oxidizing the other ingredients, I am not sure if that is in fact a possibility.... it may or may not be. I am told flavor molecules need oxygen before they are fully cured.

Last edited:

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Yeah, google's your friend for these things. Found the link, it's an interesting read.....
Hidden science behind normal and accelerated e-Liquid steeping - General - E-Liquid Recipes Forum

Edit - the forum doesn't seem to like those links. Put http// on the front of this.....
forum...................../t/hidden-science-behind-normal-and-accelerated-e-liquid-steeping/21024/58

No that didn't work either. Here's the google search and go to the one at the top of the page....
Reddit DIY... Sidebar (right) Steeping/ageing/Curing - Google Search

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I finally located the article, but not under general diy. It's under diy-eliquid down the page. Couple of things they mention - heat could give your juice the "cooked" effect, and secondly your large batches Are best kept in the frig. Some flavors can degrade in a couple of months unless kept under cold conditions. As to the name Maillard reaction, it's the process where food turns brown under intense heat - like toast for example. They claim that is why your juice goes dark over time. Possible, but I seriously doubt it since according to Wiki, the process occurs at high heat - above 285 F :

Maillard reaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: DoubleEwe

khalidmna

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2014
Liverpool, UK
This simple milk frother from iKea is all you need. It cut down my steeping time from one MONTH to one WEEK on a tobacco flavor notoriously hard to steep. You may even get instant results depending on your mix. You will need an oversized bottle with plenty of air overhead. Air is the key - not heat.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can validate my results. Please post your impressions as you get them. Thanks everyone.

Here is exactly what I did:

I mixed up 150 ml of juice in a bottle with a 1.5 inch opening and 2 inches of air overhead.
Stirred the juice a total 5 times, one minute each, at 5 minute intervals.
Repeated a second day.
For the next 5 days, I shook the bottle by hand approx 1 minute.

My juice was ready and tasting perfect in one week. Could have been sooner since I didn't bother to check earlier.

This device is cheap and convenient.

View attachment 491151

Thanks for this. I will try this since I haven't experienced that awesome flavour everyone seems to go on about

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Personally, I would use that milk frother AND seed steep my juice.

If you do a search on the forums you can find some interesting comments about the latter method as well as really promising results.

Id be interested to see if you using the two in conjunction sped up steeping even further.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Personally, I would use that milk frother AND seed steep my juice.

Id be interested to see if you using the two in conjunction sped up steeping even further.

I have tried seed steeping, and it's really effective. Now that I know the frother works by itself, I will try it with seed steeping. It should make it that much faster.

You know what's inexpensive - cut the tip of a straw twice and you get 4 piece at the end, flair them out and you have yourself a frotter. I just use my drill to clamp it on and use this method, especially for the people that use a drill to make Clapton builds with a drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread