Cutting 7x7 rope wire without fraying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Am I the only one who can't?
I am cutting a very small 1/4 inch piece for use with my protank but can't for the life of me do it without it becoming at least 7 strands. Penny cutting scizzors-nope. Taped ends+scizzors- nope. Dremel- nope. Dremel with taped ends-nope. Dremel with taped ends+ a symmetrically circular cut-nope. I got my wire rope from fluid vaper if that makes a difference, it doesn't have the nylon threading in it.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I was going to say nail clippers also.. Rickaho beat me...
Seriously.. Normal, everyday nail clippers!! Get a new pair from a dollar store just for use with wick items and you'll do great!!
Getting new means you don't have to worry about any type of contamination. Mark them some how so you won't use them on nails..

Edit: Oh.. Yea 2mm wire rope may not be doable LOL

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have been thinking about this, since I want to rebuild the same heads with SS rope. It may just be that 1/4" isn't long enough for the bends in the wire to wrap enough to hold it together. Have you considered using 1/16th rope stuffed into a silica sleeve and then cut the wire? If you don't want the coil around the silica you could then cut the silica sleeve in half, sliding each half toward the ends, opening up the area for the coil, then trimming off the excess sleeve from the ends. This should help hold it together and help fill in the wick hole to prevent leaking. Just an idea.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Someone on the SS wire rope for wick thread had suggested the harbor freight 11 dollar rotary tool. I now realize this is the problem. It doesn't come with a propor cutting wheel for metals. I'll have to either see if I can fit a real cutting wheel on it or pony up another 20 for the variable speed one. I'm cursing myself for being cheap and not buying that to begin with, I almost got it before I saw the other and put it down after standing in the isle for 5m trying to decide.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Someone on the SS wire rope for wick thread had suggested the harbor freight 11 dollar rotary tool. I now realize this is the problem. It doesn't come with a propor cutting wheel for metals. I'll have to either see if I can fit a real cutting wheel on it or pony up another 20 for the variable speed one. I'm cursing myself for being cheap and not buying that to begin with, I almost got it before I saw the other and put it down after standing in the isle for 5m trying to decide.

that sounds like something i would do lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread