CVS will stop selling cigarettes and other tobacco products by Oct 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
They will still sell chips, candy and other "unhealthy" items.

I stopped there to look for organic cotton balls one day, about two months ago. Out of curiosity I wanted to know what they carried in the way of ecigs. I was told they don't carry them because they aren't proven safe. So I said "but you will sell me a pack of tobacco cigarettes?". Her response was something along the line of "not much longer". A cashier knew it was coming then.

Berner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Niskayuna,NY,USA
They will still sell chips, candy and other "unhealthy" items.

I stopped there to look for organic cotton balls one day, about two months ago. Out of curiosity I wanted to know what they carried in the way of ecigs. I was told they don't carry them because they aren't proven safe. So I said "but you will sell me a pack of tobacco cigarettes?". Her response was something along the line of "not much longer". A cashier knew it was coming then.

That's ironic; I'll bet I could walk through the aisles of any CVS and make a list of at least 500 items that are not known or proven to be safe, or are known to be unhealthy or unsafe; not to mention all the homeopathic crap they make money off of that, while not unsafe (since it is all water), has no medicinal value and may prevent people from seeking out appropriate medical care for whatever ails them. But anyway, I'd be happy to see them banned altogether - cigarettes are the greatest public health disaster this country has ever known and the hypocrisy of continuing to collect tax revenues to pay for the medical care of patients with cigarette associated illnesses - COPD, lung cancer, etc. - is astonishing. </Rant over>

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I saw a report about this on TV today. They said CVS is really going to get into the health care market. They plan to open more Minute Clinics at their stores. I don't shop there, and I didn't realize they had walk in clinics. I just thought they offered the occasional flu shots, etc. like they do at my grocery store.

If the clinics take off, I'm sure their prescription business will more than make up for what they lose in tobacco sales.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
My bet is this is a result of all the CVSs converting to the automatic, scan and pay yourself isles that don't require cashiers. When the one by me changed over they were able to lay off half their staff. Every time you buy a pack of cigarettes, an ACTUAL person has to go get it for you and ring you up. The money they will allegedly lose not selling smokes they'll save by laying that person off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread