Daily Illini - Legality of E-Cigarettes may run into 'gray area'

Status
Not open for further replies.

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Guess thats why I didn't see them! Were they unprofessional? If so, maybe thats why they were removed... Wish I could of seen them.

Nothing too fascinating. A couple of people criticised the article and the author went all wharrrgarrbl claiming that nicotine was a carcinogen and (sarcastically) that he was sure inhaling it would make people as strong as an ox. I think he lost his cool a little and got embarrassed when he reread what he'd written.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
E-smoking does not replicate cigarette smoking. It's foolish to claim that it does.

Then you must be smoking yours wrong or the unit you have is a piece of crap. ;) I think it replicates cigarette smoking dead on... minus the dirtiness of the habit like smoke, cigarette butts, etc.

And isn't this a student newspaper? Are we surprised that journalism majors are being taught to be lazy? I mean, the "real" journalists have already stated on this forum that they don't get paid enough to write a good article.

VapeAllDay

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Then you must be smoking yours wrong or the unit you have is a piece of crap. ;) I think it replicates cigarette smoking dead on... minus the dirtiness of the habit like smoke, cigarette butts, etc.

And isn't this a student newspaper? Are we surprised that journalism majors are being taught to be lazy? I mean, the "real" journalists have already stated on this forum that they don't get paid enough to write a good article.

Well at least if it is a student paper, we won't have to worry about too many people reading this article.:p

judasburrito

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2008
Wow. I don't think it was a very bad article--it's interesting news to me that the FDA has e-cigs in a legal 'gray area'. By the way, it was on the front page (above the fold) of the student newspaper here. Anyway, the DI DID do an interview with e-smokers (us in the picture) in early february, so it's the only student newspapers I know of which has run two articles about e-smoking in as many months.

I gotta say, I haven't been around the forum much lately, but I'm a bit disappointed at the maturity level of some of the newer posters. Jane at ecigsales has been a well-liked seller for a while, from all I've heard, and she's set up shop in Illinois. Calling the editor over 'factual inaccuracies'...I don't see any.

Like TBob, I'm happy for those who have stuck with e-smoking, but it's been a trial for me. I got my first e-cig in October, and have been off-again on-again with it ever since. It's NOT the same, but it's the best replacement that I know of. Like the girl quoted in the article, I like the feeling of real actual lung-killing smoke. Nothing like it in the world. E-cigs are pretty good, but there's no need to become a zealot about them. That will turn people off of this life-saving innovation like nothing else.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Aha, that explains a lot. It was a second article. Second articles do not repeat everything printed in a longer original article. It's a follow-up on an evolving news story.

And it certainly was not a bad article.

Lacey, you should know far better than to make such a statement about myself or e-smoking a Janty Kissbox for nine months, and e-cigs for 14 months. What were you thinking? This "replicate a cigarette" discussion has been held many times before, with the outcome "these ain't no cigarette." They're good. They're tasty. But they don't replicate smoking a cigarette. You want to press my button? You did with that utterly silly statement of yours ..

Everything in the last paragraph of judasburrito's last post is dead-on true.

retroboy1975

Mar 11, 2009
actually, ecigs DO replicate smoking. i think the better way to put it is that while it does replicate the act, feel, and general smoking sensation, it is not 100% true to smoking a real cigarette. smoking ecigs is as close as you can get to smoking without actually smoking. a nice analogy would be flying a real plane would be like smoking. using a top end high quality flight simulator would be like e-smoking. id say ecigs are about 70% accurate to the real deal for me. i sort of miss smoking marlboros ( oddly enough i miss the taste and smell mostly), but these are better for you. i'll never say that to the fda or w.h.o., but lets face it, we all know nicotine can be inhaled ( nicotrol inhaler ) and we all know water vapor can be inhaled. both with no harmful effects. the big thing everyone is crabbing about tests for is the propylene glycol. are there any long term effects? we dont know yet. get over it. ecigs have been around in fairly wide circulation for around 5 years now with no known major problems. i think the worst ive heard is that some people are mildly allergic to it. people are in such a twirl about the pg that they forget that real cigarettes have over 500 different chemicals in them. and pg is one of them!! :) not to mention all the other very poisonous things like cyanide, ammonia, etc. even if pg ( admittedly much higher content in an ecig than a real one) had several bad long term issues associated with it, i think most would agree that it is STILL much safer and healthier than smoking a real cigarette. healthy? maybe not. healthier than a real smoke? definately. christ look at the drugs on commercials. you gotta sign on for heart attacks, liver damage and explosive diarhea just to get the pill that makes your eyes produce more tears! and were worried about pg? come on. look, jumping off a one story house is probably not the safest thing to do. but youd have to admit it is miles safer than jumping off a 50 story building. 5hit, now im just rambling. well everyones gotta vent from time to time. theres my piece. let me know if you all agree or disagree, etc.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Lacey, you should know far better than to make such a statement about myself or e-smoking a Janty Kissbox for nine months, and e-cigs for 14 months. What were you thinking? This "replicate a cigarette" discussion has been held many times before, with the outcome "these ain't no cigarette." They're good. They're tasty. But they don't replicate smoking a cigarette. You want to press my button? You did with that utterly silly statement of yours ..

TB - I wasn't meaning to push your button... I was meaning to be silly! (hence the wink smilie) I thought we were maybe on a different level and we could joke. Oh well. My bad and I apologize. I will remember to be more cautious with you in the future. ;) or no?

For some of us however, it does replicate smoking and quite well. Sun and retro seem to agree with me.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Don't forget that we're the enthusiasts here, most of us love vaping with a vengeance. The majority of vaping stories are not told here and plenty of people have had an unsatisfying experience.

You're right of course Kate. However, let's not forget that it's quite possible to have an "unsatsfying experience" with a pipe of tobacco. Bad pipe/ tobacco, packed awkwardly, won't light - in fact it's possible to have a great pipe, great tobacco and a super lighter and still have a rotten smoke. Cigarettes are similar - ever had one with an annoying hole or crease in it that ruins the draw? Ever lit the wrong end in the dark?

When we look back on smoking tobacco it's nearly always framed by a special experience - a glass of wine by a coruscating sea (he barfs)- and when the rose-tinted specs come off it's possible to see that smoking tobacco wasn't all that wonderful on every occasion.:)

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Don't forget that we're the enthusiasts here, most of us love vaping with a vengeance. The majority of vaping stories are not told here and plenty of people have had an unsatisfying experience.

That's true although there are many people that don't like the Internet or even computers but that doesn't lessen the potential or the impact.

In addition to the enjoyment, consider the following: The WHO claims that smoking will kill about 1.25 BILLION people this century. These devices can be made for pennies, mass produced easily, and made completely safe (not sure what the final transport fluid will be but it's reasonable to assume we can make it completely neutral).

This simple little device has the potential to improve the length and quality of life in unheard of numbers. It could potentially rank up there with pasteurization or even antibiotics in it's impact.

Just saying.. :)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We're friends, Lacey, aiming for the same goal line. I've been at this so long that the constant, constant frustrations get to me. I do use (four currently) devices properly and recently stepped to 36mg liquid, in addition to my snus, Stonewall tobacco pellets, four pipes a day and some nasal snuff. I never hit nicotine satisfaction. Ever. My daily nicotine consumption can be calculated above 60mg, or about three packs of cigs' worth.

But that whole replicate thing must hinge on differing definitions: We don't enjoy lighting up anything (and it was fun); we don't feel smoke in the mouth or lungs; we don't have the aroma and taste of tobacco (I've got vial after vial of flavors in front of me, some supposedly tobacco -- nope!); we don't have a timed break. And, for me especially, there has never been any immediate nicotine hit of joy. Not at any liquid nic level. Something is missing, as an entire thread notes. Something is missing. To me, these are not like cigarettes in these very important ways.

That said, they're the best stop smoking aid I've ever experienced. They give me hand to mouth, let me see an exhalation and provide some nicotine. That's good. When (or if) they evolve, I'm sure we'll find that missing something to add in the liquid to make it more like the hit from smoking. I'm sure we can create a lighter, less firm container than the present generation of e-cigs.

So back to moving these things forward. My congratulations to all who find these perfect replacements for cigarettes. Sorry to say, I don't. But I love 'em nonetheless. No patch, gum or inhaler can compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread