The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Daily Mail alarms

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by TropicalBob, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
  2. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    Thanks for the link, Bob.

The "Daily Mail" is an English tabloid paper with famously right-wing views. It supported Sir Oswald Mosley and his fascist "black shirts". This has earned it the nickname "The Daily Nazi".

Take anything from the Daily Mail with a large pinch of salt imho. :)

3. TropicalBob

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
    Gotcha. And I'm aware of its reputation (but it can influence). The "new" part here is the Ruyan quote. At least they got something from the horse's mouth! Most reports just repeat, repeat, repeat.

4. Oliver

Oliver ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe Admin Verified Member

What e-pipeman said except that one cannot underestimate the extent to which the Mail is an opinion maker in the UK.

In particular, the Mail has pretty much established itself as the country's main provider of alternative health stories, appealing to a great swathe of Middle England. Having the Mail opposed to the e-cigarette could be very problematic for the future of UK e-smoking.

SJ

5. Vince1

Vince1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    That's some clever wording they use there Bob. The headline makes them(e-cigs) seem to be fatal if uesd by children then they go on to say that it is fatal if Swallowed. Most homes have a lot of things that are fatal if swallowed. Child proofing seems a must for e-liquid but these people like this will never even acknowledge such when they print a negative piece once they have their "shock factor" headline.

6. trog100

trog100 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 23, 2008
    UK
    its looking pretty good from a "UK big picture" point of view..

calling for a ban on the sale to children in my interpretation of "official speak" is an open admission that they are okay in general for the sale to "adults"..

this is about as mild as it could get.. an unspoken blessing just make sure the kiddies dont come to harm..

as yet i dont see any real problems for UK e smokers.. one or two other super duper huge ones but none e cig specific.. except the price is gonna have to go up..

a tanking UK pound and extra packaging means higher prices.. but from a protect the kiddies point of view higher prices means "safer"..

trog

7. e-pipeman

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    Yes - the Ruyan quote is interesting. The BBC ran a similar story yesterday. I'm pleased to see coverage of the e-cig. If we end up with clear warning signs on bottles and a ban on sales to under-18s that will be a very good result in my view.

8. SpaceCadet

SpaceCadet Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2009
    Scotland
    You know what? Apologies to all the parents on this forum, but I'm sick to death of this issue of protecting children. It's up to the parents to put e-liquid, cartridges, and the zillions of other harmful items kids love to swallow well out of harm's way. As someone who never, ever even speaks to any children, let alone has them running around their home, I don't see why I should go without this ingenious smoking alternative because of concern for children.

Rant! Fume!

The good ole Daily Fail :(

9. paulhampson

paulhampson Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2008
    This is the back door method to increased taxation. First step "think of the children" regulation then taxation. They have a particular problem with ecigs though as not all contain nicotine.
    BTW a cigarette butt has enough nicotine and poisons in it to kill a small child but none regulates their collection

10. TropicalBob

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
    Unfortunately, just because an individual doesn't have responsibility for a child's actions doesn't mean government agencies aren't responsible for the needs of the young who have yet to learn the word danger. That is indeed one job of government. Laws routinely protect the many from the foolish few. That's the way it is, and must be.

And it's selling, marketing, that is the issue. No proposal has been made by the FDA to ban use or possession. It's distribution of an unknown that is at issue.

Governments cannot ignore protecting children from the liquid we use. But protection doesn't have to come from a government edict. It can be done by makers of the liquid taking appropriate steps to warn, child-proof and tamper-proof their products. We're not talking rocket science or vast expenditures to accomplish this.

If Advil can do it, so can e-liquid makers.

Not to do it invites being MADE to do it -- or lose it.

11. e-pipeman

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    I couldn't agree more. If the government goes ahead with clear poison labelling/ banning sales to under 18s I'll be delighted because the rest of us can then vape away in peace.

12. trog100

May 23, 2008
    UK
    i have a bunch of Ten cart typical UK child proof containers on my table at the moment.. they aint pretty or neat but they fulfill all the UK kiddie proof and labeling requirements..

so someone has it in hand.. i wont say who but it wont be hard to guess..

the Mail being far right wing should not be overly in favour of too much nanny state type citizen protection either..

you are too kind to these people bob... "protect" might be one way of saying it... "enslave and control" might be another..

we trust those in charge of our lives far too much.. to believe they really do have out best "interests" at heart is verging on the foolish..

trog

13. Tallulah

Tallulah Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Chicago IL USA
    I made it through childhood in one piece waaaaaaaayyy long time ago, before bicycle helmets, carseats, and childproof anything.

I saw some yuppie the other day, with his 4-year-old on a bike with training wheels, the kid was wearing a helmet that was nearly as big as he was. I felt sorry for the tyke.

Common sense should prevail when parenting (which includes keeping household poisons and medications out of the reach of children) but I sometimes really wonder what we're creating with all this coddling - "oh my, junior fell down and got dirty, where's the anti-bacterial soap?!!!"

14. L E Jay

L E Jay Full Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Wow! That kid was allowed outside!

15. Calaban

Calaban Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2009
    Newmarket, NH USA
    From the article:

"However, Nicocig, the distributors of the Ruyan e-cigarette, defended their product.
    They said they have conducted clinical trials on people..."

I have not seen or heard of these human trials....admittedly I have not looked very hard. Has anyone seen these?

"...and that their cigarettes are sold only in pharmacies to adults."

Really? You can't get them online?
    ruyan e-cigarette - Google Search

Maybe there is some nuance here, but it doesn't look good for us e-smokers and our 'cause' (for lack of a better term) to have a manufacturer make claims that are so easily debunked.

If I'm missing something here, please point it out.

-Cal

16. trog100

May 23, 2008
    UK
    we are creating or have created a dysfunctional society.. man is now responsible for everything.. the good old "will of god" excuse for bad things happening we have used for centuries aint a valid one anymore.. he he he

but the course is set.. we have to follow it to the bitter end..

trog

ps.. we have appointed to many people to "protect" us.. i would say god help us but i recon he has pissed off and left us to it... he he

17. taz3cat

taz3cat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2008
    Port Arthur, Texas
    All this talk about hurt to children, then people that murder and rape children don't get as hard a sentance as if as if they hurt adults. Parents murder their children and do not get the death penalty in states that have the death penalty.

Something is not right here.

They need to ban anti-bacterial soap two children were posion by licking it off their hands. If children can hurt by something lets just ban it. After all it's for the Children and while were at it throw in it's for the American people.

18. dr_neil

dr_neil Full Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Deepest Darkest Devon
    if the the Daily Mail don't like e-cigs then that's an endorsement of them being a good thing.

19. Johnsky

Johnsky Full Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Lol, that reminds me of this old classic..
    [​IMG]

Manufacturers safety will never circumvent parental stupidity.

20. Cellmeister

Cellmeister Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2009
    Beantown, USA
    Reading This Hurts My Eyes & Gives Me A Stomach Ache!!

I Think We Should Ban All Computers, Email, Noise, Music, Construction Equipment, Air Planes, Trucks, TV's, News & Information!

I'll Keep Vapin Till It's All Banned!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.