*DANGER* Carrying Spare Batteries in Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
So this may need to be stickied, because I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Tonight on my way out to my car to head to work, I reached into my pocket to pull out my keys.

For a bit of background info, I have a concealed carry permit. In my right pocket I carry my revolver and nothing else. In my left pocket, if I don't have any cargo pockets, I carry everything else, including my car keys, and a spare 18650 battery for my mod.

So anyway, I reached into my pocket and found my keys to be hot, like, unusually hot, as in, inexplicably scaldingly hot. I had just pulled my iphone off the charger and stuck it in my pocket, but it was nowhere near hot enough to explain the hot keys.

So I pulled my keys out of my pocket, and my battery came out lumped in. The battery was extremely hot as well. Worried, I stared at the battery in my hand to determine whether it was cooling off or getting hotter and about to blow up on me. Luckily it did cool off.

I came to this conclusion about what happened. Two of my keys must have been making contact with both ends of the battery, creating a circuit. This was causing my keys to discharge my battery into the material of my keys. If I hadn't pulled my keys out of my pocket when I did, I may have been in the emergency room, rather than telling you all this.

The battery in question is an AW IMR High Drain 18650 with a positive nipple on top, the kind ProVape sells with their ProVari.

So to completely sum up my post. Be very careful about carrying keys in your pocket along with spare batteries, because your keys could create a circuit with the battery and blow up if not caught in time.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
This should be stickied so people can once again realize the majority of incidences are a result of user error/ignorance.

Anybody with a basic knowledge of lion batteries similar to those found in this hobby know

A) ALWAYS carry in a case that is not conductive
B) NEVER carry alongside any key, coin, metal etc. You are asking for the circuit to be completed and thermal runaway.

Just my 2c

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
This should be stickied so people can once again realize the majority of incidences are a result of user error/ignorance.

Anybody with a basic knowledge of lion batteries similar to those found in this hobby know

A) ALWAYS carry in a case that is not conductive
B) NEVER carry alongside any key, coin, metal etc. You are asking for the circuit to be completed and thermal runaway.

Just my 2c

This info is already in the stickies. Several other places as well. Doesn't seem to get through though. I can't say anything I've done it. I actually had one vent out.

To the OP, throw that battery into a recycle bin.

Sent from my intestines using my linear gas accelerator.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
The problem I have with cheap cases is that they constantly break at the hinge. I have found silicone "condoms" for batteries. They wrap around the ends of the battery and keep it from shorting out. They are for single batteries and add almost nothing to the size and you can cary however many you want.

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Not necessary

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Not necessary

fropit

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2013
United States
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Let's keep it on topic...battery safety

LeftCatcher

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, GA
well no metal objects with with the battery is a no brainer. if someone would've brought that up to you before, you would have steered them away from what you did. ;)
sounds to me like you need to free up your other pocket.
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/07/30/clipdraw-ccw-carry-clip-review/

further more, something to isolate your battery would be a good idea. since your enthusiasms cover gear of another nature, maybe you could used a black nylon holster from a can of mace, flashlight, or a cheap knife.
just one of those things every CCW guy has in a box somewhere doing nothing... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread